Volvo Penta MD 30 filters & more

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
We are considering the purchase of a 1995 sailboat that has a Volvo MD 30 diesel engine in it now. Not original equipment. I used the search option in several Forums on our SBO site with no information I could locate. Online search has been OK, but not specific. Do any of you have experience with a Volvo MD 30 engine? I am especially interested in filter availability and other parts availability including from what sources. Also, if you have used that type of engine what has been your experience with its starting, reliability, or other information you might be willing to share? Thanks for any information on the general topic.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
At one time I had a Volvo MD7A. For routine parts, filters, v-belts, and the water pump these were available from any source and competitive prices. Volvo parts do tend to be expensive.

Toad Marine Supply is a decent source for parts. I've used them recently for Yanmar parts, service was good, prices about like everyone else.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..........Do any of you have experience with a Volvo MD 30 engine? I am especially interested in filter availability and other parts availability including from what sources. Also, if you have used that type of engine what has been your experience with its starting, reliability, or other information you might be willing to share?............
I do not have that engine but on my second 1984 powerboat with two Volvo Penta TAMDE70 engines. They are extremely reliable engines. You might these threads helpful referencing the MD30.

As dlochner indicated routine maintenance parts are readily available from your local Volvo Penta dealer through the link below but do not expect them to be cheap. You probably can find competitively-prices parts that cross reference Volvo Penta parts.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Thanks dlochner and sail sfbay for your quick responses. I have used TOAD Marine in Florida, but I could not remember the name earlier. (Somehow my mind was stuck on "frog" marine.) I read the trawler posts and did locate a dealer with the locator mentioned. Still researching and will enjoy any other responses.