Volvo vs yanmar

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
hello all....
Currently have a yanmar and love the engine. Looking at boats and come across many that have the Volvo instead of a yanmar. I understand parts and access to parts for the Volvo are you xpensive and not as readily available (so I hear). What about Volvos reliability?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My last boat had a sea water cooled Volvo MD7A that was 35 years old. Started and ran like a charm, even after sitting on the hard for 2 years. Very simple engine, easy to work on. After 35 years it was probably time to clean the fuel injectors as it was producing some black smoke.

Currently have a Yanmar 3JH2E but not enough experience to make an informed comment. It is a little quieter than the Volvo, but it is also much younger.

The one consistent issue with Volvos is sea water cooling in salt water. The cast iron engine block is pretty massive, but over time the warm saltwater takes its toll. This is less of an issue on freshwater.

In the end, both good engines, both with expensive parts.

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
wow, you are going to get some mixed feed back on this question!! I have a Volvo Penta MD2030 on my 2003 36' Beneteau. In the year Ive had it its been very reliable and was easy to service myself. If I was choosing from new I would have preferred a MD2040. If I was buying a new engine I would probably go for Yanmar although not sure why, in essence these two marine engines are basically the same - in my humble opinion!!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
When I get back from cruising I can give more detail. Suffice it to say that any boat that has a Volvo is removed from consideration unless the price is reduced by at least a repower.. This in not based on 1 or 2 incidences but many including a ruined low hour very well maintaine MD 2030 just a few weeks ago..

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
My mechanic friend with 40+ years of experience sez it's better to avoid Volvo diesels. Problem is parts pricing and availability. They can and do run for a long time, but when they break something it's more expensive than the Kubota-based engines or Yanmar's.

Loren

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ooohhh Maine, right through the heart!! Where's the emoticon? You just valued my boat around "0"....Four yrs ago, I put about 5k into my MD17C which is about 1/4 of a repower. I've had it for five yrs and I knew when i bought it that i would have to go through it and I did 99% of labor myself. Didn't pay much for the boat as it was neglected for a long time. There were engine conditions that had to be met when i bought it like oil pressure and FWC. The issues were pretty easy to fix (sleeves/pistons/rings/head work and it is a fine running engine with total of 2900 hrs...This engine is a very simple engine to work on. My only complaint is it is a bit noisier than others as it is an external cylinder engine. The only parts that i came across re obsolete were high press fuel lines and copper fuel injector sleeves. The fuel lines are now made from automotive brake lines. I have spare injector sleeves in case i need them. The only real fear is the governor. It is OBSOLETE. i have a spare but its 30 yrs old and requires the engine to be separated from the saildrive. So, "in short", I'm not sure I would use a broad brush against older Volvos. If someone just wants to turn the keys over and say "fix it", then I can see your point. But if you're "engine" inclined, and certain conditions met, Volvo could work out and last a long time properly maintained. Looking fwd to your volvo rant after cruising!!

Aug 27, 2016
Catalina Catalina 30 tall rig Isleton, Ca.
Volvo MD-17C....good strong running engine but saltwater cooling eventually clogs the cooling spaces around the number three cylinder. The giant cast iron transmissions break if alignment not perfect. The "brake lining" shift system in the transmission is pathetic

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I found the Yanmar parts even more expensive than Volvo. They ARE readily available - but only from an Authorized Dealer. As for reliability, I think either one will probably outlast the rest of the boat.

druid

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I believe it depends on the VP model, I was not impressed with the 3 cylinder turbo 2003T in the J40, it smoked, was hard starting, and had to be replaced with just a couple of thousand hours. The Yanmar seems like a more refined design.

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
I have two boats; with a Yanmar in one and a Volvo in the other. Best of both worlds, but the parts for the Volvo are a bit more expensive. My Yanmar is the older of the two but parts are redily available. It really is up to you as both have and are performing admirably for me and if another boat were in the future, it would not be a problem if either one of these engines were in it. The best thing to do is research the particular engine in the boat you are looking at, as that is where parts can be a determining factor. An older less popular (limited production) engine can be a parts problem down the road. I do most of my own work but when it comes to paying labor I also found in my area that Volvo repairs claim a higher cost there too.

Feb 6, 1998
1- I work on a lot of sail boats and by a large margin the Volvo's, affectionately called The Green-Grief up this way, are the ones that are least likely to even be repairable due to a lack of parts availability. I have seen more Volvo engines go to the scrap heap than any other engine brand and almost always due to a lack of repair parts. Because they are a small player in the sailboat market even finding used engines, to salvage parts from, is very difficult where a Kubota or Yanmar or Mitsubishi are considerably easier.

2- For sailboat engines Volvo is third in-line from the actual engine manufacturer. Volvo buys the engines through Perkins. Perkins buys the engines through Shibaura in Japan but Perkins removes all Shibaura markings, embossing the castings with Perkins numbers, so crossing over to a Shibaura tractor motor is made pretty much impossible.

Perkins also won't sell you a replacement long block for a Green-Grief / Volvo engine. Tried that route through a number of European dealers. Shibaura engines are considered, by any good diesel mechanic I know of, as the absolute lowest rung of small Japanese diesel engines and the worst reliability of the Japanese diesels.. They are built more to a price point rather than a reliability standard like a Kubota, Mitsubishi or Yanmar is. Even my local tractor dealer won't rebuild a Shibaura engine but they will rebuild Kubota, Mitsubishi and Yanmar..

3- In a recent conversation with one of Volvo's largest parts dealers it was stated that, in their opinion, Volvo only really cares to ship containers of sailboat engines to OEM's. The after market support for Volvo sailboat engines is absolutely HORRID.

After my latest Volvo fiasco I called a friend in the industry in VA. He lives near Volvo NA & told me their parts room in VA, for sailboat engines, is approx 10' X 10' and mostly full of filters. No wonder it took 6 weeks, in the middle of the sailing season, to get a critical $3.00 part....

4- I will give this as a single example but I have many more I can point to including one of my own boats with the last Volvo Penta I would ever own..

On Thursday May 12th at 12:06 PM I get a panicked string of text messages from a customer with a Beneteau 36.7. There are 7 photos of his engine with oil everywhere. Boat was launched, commissioned, sea trialed, run to temp levels checked etc. etc. and all was fine. After sailing from the boat yard to his summer mooring he fired up the engine to motor into the mooring field. It was blowing stink when he heard a screeching racket, said it sounded like a wrapped floating line on the prop, and then about 20 seconds later the engine alarm went off. He immediately shut down the engine, re-hoisted the sail, and sailed onto the mooring.

When he opened up the engine bay there was oil everywhere. The engine, for no known reason, or no good reason, spit out what is called a "casting plug" from one of the oil journals. This is NOT a freeze plug in the antifreeze circuit, it is a casting plug in the oil circuit.. This low hour engine had been impeccably maintained using not only Volvo filters but Volvo fluids as well. It was also maintained at far earlier than factory suggested intervals.

When the casting plug came out it caused the oil pump to literally pump all the oil straight out of the engine, at cruise RPM! Once the engine was out of oil, any oil lubed surface were destroyed before he could even shut down the engine. Cylinders, pistons, crank bearings, cam, valve guides etc. etc. on and on. Of course at this point he had no idea what had happened. While cleaning up the engine bay he found the casting plug. It was then we realized what had happened. It took weeks to get a hold of anyone at Volvo who would return a call or who could tell us how or why this happened. We spoke with nearly every Volvo dealer in the US and some in Canada and not a one of them had the casting plug in stock but a few had seen this happen.. The owner paid for expedited shipping from Europe, shipping being nearly 15X the cost of the part, and "Volvo expedited" still took six weeks.

Volvo response to owner:
"Not supposed to happen, and never has."
"That plug is stainless"
"Engine is probably still be fine."

The casting plug is specified as stainless steel. Into a cast iron block? Okay...

The actual plug was soft aluminum. Into a cast iron block? Okay..

The replacement "expedited" casting plug was also soft aluminum, NOT the "specified" SS nor machined from the same cast iron as the block. Heck even "low tech" reputable boiler manufacturers machine the nipples, that hold the sections together, out of cast iron so they expand and contract at the same rate..

So now, six weeks "expedited" later, we have the casting plug installed. We change oil & filter and carefully fire up the motor. The motor starts but is billowing blue smoke. Wait for it to burn off, like a worn valve guide might, nope. She continues to billow blue smoke.. The engine is not only smoking but sounds a bit off too. Compression tests reveal what is to be expected, low compression.

Owner needs a new engine. No problem this engine was still in production in 2006, less than 10 years out of production, we'll just order you a new or re-manufactured long block and you'll be on your way in a few weeks..

WRONG!!! Volvo never even offered a long block for the MD-2030 even when it was a current production model. Volvo also does not re-manufacture or know of anyone re-manufacturing these engines. Kubota & Yanmar are easy to find, rman or new Volvo MD-2030 long blocks simply don't exist. MD-2030 long block? There is no such creature.. Amazing fail on Volvo's part.... How do you build an engine and not have a long block available?

Okay, lets start pricing the parts for a rebuild.

Short block (cast iron block only with NOTHING in it) $4126.00+!!!!!!!

Oh but wait many of the parts that were needed for the rebuild, that would need to be replaced, are listed as "out of production" or "obsolete part". This is a 2006 motor for Christ sake!!!! Obsolete? Out of production?

Long and short the parts alone to rebuild this engine, and many are not even available, were going to exceed $17,000.00!!!!

Cheap engine & lack of parts = expected results

The scary part is that no one at Volvo, nor any of their dealers, had any way of telling us how to prevent this from happening again, or why it happened in the first place. Volvo NA denied it has ever happened but there are dealers out there who have seen it happen so I doubt Volvo NA was being completely truthful.

The owner, who wanted to continue his racing season, decided to keep running the engine, seeing as it was already shot. The engine ran for 1.75 more hours before it seized solid. Engine is now out, boat still on mooring and we are waiting for the new engine to get here.

Replacement Engine:

Neither Volvo nor Perkins were of any help and any replacement we can find is used or in Europe costing 3X a new Beta by the time it would get here and he'd still have a low quality engine with many "obsolete" parts. Oh and even if we did order one, it might not make it through customs due to EPA regulations....

So I now pick up the phone & call Stanley at Beta marine USA. Have Stan on phone in about 15 seconds (Volvo took weeks). Stan has bent over backwards to the point that he is doing custom mounts and a custom bell housing machined to bolt directly to the Volvo sail drive & gear saving the cost of a gear and sail drive leg.

Total cost of new Kubota based Beta engine? Approx 1/2 the cost of just the parts to repair the MD-2030, not including labor. Does Beta hide the original engine maker or model number from the end user? Hell no, they tell you exactly what Kubota engine it is. This means any tractor store can sell you the Kubota based parts at a fraction of the cost of Volvo/Perkins/Shibaura parts..

After this transpired, the owner, who used me as his purchasing consultant, looked and me and said;

"You know Rod, one of the first things you said to me was; "walk away from any boat with a Volvo unless the price is reduced by the cost of a repower." Apparently I should have listened because I paid full price and now need the repower."

So sure, go ahead and buy a Volvo but do so being well warned.... I won't even go into the nearly seven figure figure mistake buying a Grand Banks Europa, with twin Volvo IPS drives, cost one of my very wealthy customers.....:yikes: He now has a new Sabre, without Volvo engines....

Sorry for the rant but I don't get to operate on an n=1 basis. Even when I was n=1 my own Volvo was a horrid POS and parts were impossible to get. One part put us our of engine commission for an entire season. Sold the boat as soon as the part came in.

Sure owners can get lucky, and get many good years of service from a Volvo, but many don't get lucky. I see the problems across many hundreds of vessels and by far Volvo sailboat sized engines are the worst of the lot in terms of reliability and parts access..

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
OUCH!!
My boat has, wait for it, the MD2030 :(

Barry

Feb 6, 1998
OUCH!!
My boat has, wait for it, the MD2030 :(

Barry
Yep lots of C&C's do as well as some Beneteau & Jenneau boats. The good news is Stanly at Beta has a good option for you, at a reasonable price level, if or when it bites the dust....

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Main,
I have had Westerbeke and Yanmar on previous and prefer the Yanmar. Last Yanmar I had was a 3GM30F. So when purchasing the current boat was glad to seeing it also had the 3GM30F. Well, not exactly - it's the 30F-YEU. European built version, which means many parts are different, including filters, impeller. But the one item that is a real PITA is the raw water pump. It mounts with the cover plate facing the engine - have to completely remove the pump to replace the impeller!! Would love to meet thee ginger that thought this was a good design!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have also heard stories about the Volvo engines. In my search I stick with boats that have Yanmars.. Crazy so many still use Volvos

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We normally choose boats and live with the engines they might bring. Although the condition of the engine might be a deal breaker the particular make rarely is. The instance where a comparison might be in order is when re-powering and likely price, availability, reliability, service, parts and warranty will be the most deciding factors. In this regard, here in the US I would choose Yanmar hands down. That was an enlightening post by Maine Sail and I can see where the choice or not to rebuild a Volvo Penta might not even be realistic. Having had some experience with Volvo automobiles I knew about the extra cost and time to get some parts here to the US but I was not aware of early obsolesce in parts. I do know people with Volvo Penta that have had good luck but it is definitely a consideration when purchasing a boat.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
But the one item that is a real PITA is the raw water pump. It mounts with the cover plate facing the engine - have to completely remove the pump to replace the impeller!! Would love to meet thee ginger that thought this was a good design!
I think that guy went to work for Volvo in the parts department ...........