Volvo MD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Unless you already own the Volvo engine, I would not bother with trying to install it on a C 27. The engine compartment is very tight on all C 27's. I believe all inboard engines on C 27s were installed before the deck /cockpit shell was fitted. You biggest problem though is in getting replacement parts which I've been told many times is difficult & expensive to maintain a volvo diesel auxillary. If I had a choice on a C 27 it would be go with an outboard motor. Cheaper to buy & easier to maintain & access. my 2 c.

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Thanks, I will bail on the MD2, appreciate your comments. Although I would like to stick with an inboard. Any Suggestions? I am currently working a carburetor issue with a solex VBN2 that is on an original Albin 022 motor. Motor runs fine. carburetor has been rebuilt but still floods out

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
That's why I like any semi-modern diesel engines built within the last 30 years, because they have FUEL INJECTION! No rusty or fouled or carbeurator to get clogged or flooded. Solex carbs are a P.I.T.A. to work on.
If I was shopping around for a used sailboat marine diesel for a C 27, my first choice would be a Universal diesel. The 5411 is cheaper, has excellent fuel economy & reliability, & its so simple in design. It should have enough oomph with its meager 11 horses to move the C 27 adequately. Its a lil mediocre for my bigger C 30, but couldn't part with this lil workhorse. The second choice would be the slightly larger M 18 Universal. Also a 2 cylinder, but with larger 18 horse dislacement. I also like Yanmar diesels as they're tough as nails. They also made an 11 HP model in their 2 cylinder GM series or the smaller but tough & simple YSM series. All good engines, & they don't even use glow plugs to start, just strong compression. The smaller Yanmar's can even be hand cranked started when their decompression lever is applied. Check around. Moyer Marine & Torrensen sell marine diesels used, rebuilt & new. If you can afford new, the Beta Marine models are built upon the Kobuta block, as are the older Universals.

Look around & my last advice is to stay small, as they will be easier to install, easier to service, more economical to purchase, maintain & have better fuel economy. If you have mechanical skills, then its usually cheaper to buy a decent used motor & rebuild it on a bench while taking your time, then install when you're done. So much easier to work on an engine when out of a tight boat. Try to buy the matching transmission with the motor. Universals use Hurth trans. that are also very tough & reliable. Good luck in the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.