Vision 32 side ports?

Oct 1, 2021
Hunter Vision32 Chesapeak
Hi All,
My first post here. A couple of years ago I bought a Vision 32. After decades of owning sail boats I had decided I was done, but after a couple years I got the urge for something simple. I stumbled across this. About twenty years ago I knew somebody that had one. I never sailed on it, but I know he loved it. I did have a couple of friends with Freedom 35s and I always liked them. This looked interesting, and the money was small enough to not feel guilty when I wasn’t using it. I have come love this thing. Once I got the 16’ of birds nests etc out of the boom, replaced reefing and other lines, sorted out the roller furled and some other things, it sails great and is easy to handle. It also handles nicely under power, the interior is terrific, oh and my wife loves that electric winch.

Anyway, I do have a bit of an issue with the side frameless fixed ports, the big ones, “15 x 7’. They are held on with 6 screws, 3 top and 3 bottom, spaced about 30” apart. They had some leaks when I bought it. I removed them, cleaned them, and put back with fresh butyl. The issue is, because they are so big, things move, then start to leak a bit. When they do, I get out some butyl and massage it into the problem spot. That fixes it until next time.

I’ve never owned a boat with big fixed frameless ports like this. Has anyone else had an issue? How did you deal with it? I’m considering drilling and adding two more screws to the top, splitting the 30” to 15. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Scroll down to the "Surface Mounted" section .. DIY: Replacing Fixed Portlights - Sail Magazine
The thick 3M VHB tape is a great thing that allows for movement of the plexi, and it is closed cell, meaning that water won't leak through.. Priming the plexi (3m Primer 94) and the cabin mounting area is important as well as meticulous prep prior to priming.. I did caulk the edges with Dow 795 after sticking them with the VHB. My one piece, now surface mounted plexi is 8" by 64" .. so far has gone through the heat of one summer and Hurricane Ida with no leaks.
Welcome to the forum !
Watch this video .. this guy does a good job of show and tell, but he did not use primer, mostly because of the small size of the plexi.. and that the glass is flat..
How To Install Fixed Portlights - YouTube

Oct 1, 2021
Hunter Vision32 Chesapeak
Thank you sail sfbay and kloudie1, good information. When I redid it I used butyl tape not VHB tape. I‘m still thinking when I do it again I may add two more screws just to help all that big port to get a good bond.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
IMHO, I would rethink the extra screws. You want a bond that will work and not leak. Dow 795 is the go to product; no experience with VHB tape.

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
I’ll chime in here, having done this repair recently, using the vaunted Dow 795, only to have it fail right in time for the PNW’s rainy season (aka half the year).

The re-bedding process, completed in May of 2021, was a total PITA - removing what must’ve been at least 3 tubes of sealant from the original mounting took some tremendous effort, and I’m still finding small bits of ancient black silicone in my galley. I also managed to break off the section of the window that rests in the forward embossment (happy to show you that repair/surgery if you wish!).

I ended up installing a couple more fasteners, as you mentioned, and went about applying a generous amount of 795. The repair seemed to work well, but we had an unusually hot summer last year, and I hypothesize that thermal stresses caused by the uneven heating of the acrylic, adjacent fiberglass, and silicone sealant introduced some shearing of the seal, evidenced by several intervals of tiny cracks along the top.

I intend to use butyl for round two of this repair, and perhaps a couple more carefully chosen fasteners (since butyl only works well as a gasket under even and adequate compression). I may also double down with a bead of 795 at the seam (properly prepping the window edge and topsides fiberglass first) and see how that combo holds when the rain returns in October/November.

I’m really curious, how did your repair hold up? Cheers!