Vision 32 Side Window Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Webster

I am trying to purchase replacement plexiglass windows for the side openings on my Vision 32. Hunter has put me in contact with Spartech Marine in Rockledge, Florida, who made the original plexiglass windows for the Vision, as well as many other Hunters. Spartech has the original patterns, but claim to have lost the molds they use to bend the plexiglass to match the curve of the hull. On the Vision 32, the side windows are about 6' long, with a slight curve. Spartech seems to be very knowledgable about plexiglass window glazing for boats, and has said that these windows (7/16" thick) are very rigid and will be extremely difficult to bend to the shape of the hull without prebending with heat. Hunter says it shouldn't be that hard to do, and didn't think they were prebent, but Spartech says they were. Spartech says they can make them for me, but they are pretty expensive and won't guarantee they will work without pre-bending. Its my nickel. I'm sure some other Vision owners have replaced these side windows. How did you do it? Did you purchase them pre-bent? If not, how did you hold them in place until the structural adhesive sealant set up enought to hold them? There are several screws in the window, but I'm not sure they would hold against a lot of tension. Right now, I'm looking for advice, hopefully from someone who has done this on this model boat or one similar. The side windows are very crazed and really need replaced. Advice from this forum is always helpful.

P

Pete

have you tried

a local "plastic" shop ? there should be a local plastic shop/supplier in your area who can do a duplicate of your originals. If not a plastic supply house should be able to tell you someone in you area who could. I think you will need the pre bend as plexir is very stiff and won't have much "natual" give to it. Good Luck !

M

Matt

Hunter Vision 32 cataract

Mike, what kind of prices did they quote you for each window? Also, did they include a charge for the hole for the port that is in there as well? I really need to replace one of mine as well. It's very faded... Right now we call it the cataract... matt

M

Mike Webster

I've Contacted Local Shops . .

quite a few actually, and haven't even been able to get any of them to quote on it. Also, they would need a pattern, so I would have to pull the current windows and cover the openings with something waterproof for several weeks while I wait on the new windows to be ready. They would still need a pattern to lay the windows on so they took the correct bend. Matt, the prices are $295 per window, which isn't bad when you consider the price of a 4x8 sheet of 7/16th smoked plexiglass. The color is #2370. I was told last summer that it would include the price of the cutouts for the ports, but I was in the process of having the windows requoted when I found they couldn't find the bending mold. The customer service guy at Spartech is still check with the techie that actually does the heating and bending to see if he has any other ideas. I did suggest sending my windows to him for a pattern. I'll keep this site posted with my results. I'm still looking for advice from a Vision owner that has already done this. There must be someone out there.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Contact Mark Plastics

You may want to contact Mark Plastics. They make these replacement window for many models of Hunters and other mfg. too. He is located in So. Cal. You should be able to search the archives for his number.

J

John Dodge

Mark Plastics

I just received two 42" windows from him. Mark Plastics 369 E. Harrison St. Unit G Corona, CA 92879-1339 909 735 7705

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Thanks John!

John: Thanks, I did not have access to his number. What boat were your windows for? If you can, you should post a picture of the units in the Photo Forum so we all can admire them.

Feb 25, 2004
- - pensacola
direct from hunter

We bought 'em direct from hunter for our 89 Vision 32 2 years ago..they are not, and do not need to be pre-bent-just. our originals had one portlight in each side but the replacements had two so we had to buy new portlights too.

M

Mike Webster

Thanks for the info. . .

Howard. What did you use for sealant? My research is pointing me toward Dow 795. Do you have any tips on installation? Was the fit as good as the originals? Did you use the original screws to hold the window in place while the sealant set up (several days for Dow 795 per their spec sheet), or did you have to use other means? Send me your e-mail, or phone number. I'd like to talk about this more before I attempt it. Thanks, Mike

R

Richard Stanley

Me Too

Mike, I am about to go on the same "adventure" as you regarding replacement of my side windows on my 1993 Vision 32. If it becomes cost effective, I would like to order windows from whomever you finally decide is best. I am down in Mexico for the winter so its hard to follow up from here. Please keep me informed. Thanks Richard Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.