""VIBRATION""

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

I recently purchased a 1982 '30. It has the 5411 diesel. In neutral it vibrates when throttled up.When motoring I have alot of vibration at almost all RPM's. Some better some worse. I know about the flange clearance from the shaft. Has anyone installed softer motor mounts or a dampining device on the shaft? The cutlass bearing is within tolerance. The motor mounts are rusty and need to be replaced. Also the shaft to flange is rusted tight, so I can't check the clearance without replacement. Any ideas????

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Flex Coupling

PYI sells this & basically it fits between the shaft flange & transmission flange to absorb vibration. Of course you'll install this when you replace your rusted flange. Sounds like you know what's going on with everything but just remember that a single cylinder diesel will always be a little, oh shall we say, rough. LaDonna

J

James

5411 thoughts

The Universal 5411 should operate almost vibration free. The motor is a 2 cylinder diesel, and so is well balanced. The federal coupling on the drive shaft is notorious for rusting. It is probably galled to the shaft, too. I had this motor in my '82. It should be vibration free in neutral. Only fuel mixture or a broken or out of balance flywheel could be external suspects. What does your exhaust look like under load?

Status
Not open for further replies.