VHF Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2010
JC,

Most are positioned at the chart table area. One thing to remember as Rodger suggested, if not using a handheld, have the ability to operate it from the cockpit.

Most of the time using it, your coming to a bridge, in a channel maybe with boat traffic. These are times when you need to be at the wheel with mic close by. I hang my mic over top of the companion way hatch opening (STBD side) for quick access.

There are different setups, such as longer mic chords, cockpit speakers etc.

It is advisable to get a DSC ready VHF. Hopfully you have a GPS and can fish a NMEA 0183 04 or NMEA 2000 wire to your VHF. You can go online and register an MMSI# for your boat. Your DSC VHF will be what I call "a poorman's EPIRB."

Check the advantages out for this, and I believe signing up is free from Boat US. There is a form for all info on your boat. If an emergency pops up, hit the button and your current position and pertinent info is immediatly transmitted for help.

CR

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I have mine mounted on the ceiling right above the starboard quarterberth. This allows easy use inside boat and when in cockpit the mic is within easy reach.

Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
VHF - cockpit

I have always had trouble with the VHF which is mounted at the chart table. I finally gave in and bought a new unit, mounted at the chart table, but with a waterproof powered remote mic that I connected with a fitting in the port coaming compartment. The advantage is that the mic, beside transmitting, receives and broadcasts received voice through its own internal speaker. No more trying to hear from inadequate speakers down below. As an added plus, the cockpit mic can also be used as an intercom to wake up sleepy crewmates down below.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Mine VHF also mounted next to the companionway, just above the starboard quarterbirth. You can reach the mic from the cockpit, but U still have to go below to change channels or volume, etc. There's no perfect place, but when the engine is running its impossible to hear anything in the cabin, so at least U have a chance to hear & be heard from the cockpit. I like the idea of DSC but am always a lil weary of Big Bros having yet another way to track us. I can always give exact coordinates over the radio from my GPS data, if I want to.

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
I have the ICOM M-422 mounted in the chart table with the remote mic cabling running to the cockpit. I have the radio attached to a Gam SS-2 antenna, with RG-213 cable. It is an excellent unit. This set up has eliminated the need to even have the handheld, which had been my faithful companion in the cockpit for years, but I keep it aboard, just in case.

I had it mounted in the same place is jrowan for a while, since that is where the PO had his..with the tiller extension that worked OK too..the Command Mic is the real answer! :D

Since I have a tiller boat, the actual permanent mounting location for the remote mic is still up in the air, so I am playing with different configurations before drilling (any additional) holes in the boat. Right, now I am thinking to mount it low and aft in the cockpit, back near my aft mounted traveler..I know, my boat is archaic compared to all the "advances" everyone else has made.:stirthepot:

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Hey Shawn, Sometimes simple is better - less to break or go wrong!

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
Yeah...however, I just re-read this thread and I have decided I like Joefusa's idea about mounting it in the coaming..then it can just live in there! I wonder if the cable is long enough to get from the chart table all the way over there?:confused:

Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
it's plenty long. i mounted the mic on the coaming next to the autopilot. it's a little easier to grab when you want/need it. note the clip on the attached pic - it's between the autopilot and the shower. thought about going through the pedestal, but too much junk going through there already.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.