Very impressed

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Smitty's blog PLUS the great C310 group on this forum (almost their own website) has great information. If it ain't in these two spots, it almost doesn't exist!:dance: There are also links to our C34 website in the C310 stuff on this forum. We share many identical systems and engines.

There were probably different phases of Catalina production.

Phase 1 - the Early Days - C27, C30, C25, C22

Phase 2 - The Middle Years: C36, C34, C42

Phase 3 - The Changeover Years when the closed transom opened up and then they changed to larger cockpits on "Mark II" versions of their favorite boats.

Phase 4 - The "5 Series" going on today. The C355 has the same layout down below as my boat, but it's a completely different boat with a lot of enthusiasts.

It's been a great run from a great company and it is STILL GOING ON. :D:D:D

Thank goodness. :dance::dance::dance:
Like Stu, I have followed the evolution of Catalina's for over 20 years, owning a 30, 320 and now a 355. I took a chance and bought an early model (I typically like to buy things after the bugs are worked out), but the timing and circumstances were such that it was the right time for us.
Before I bought I did have conversations with Frank, Gerry and Sharon about the move from the xx0 line to the 5 series as I wanted to make sure they were still going to be in business (I bought at the height of the recession). They had to downsize significantly and did not want to lose their skilled talent. They had too many boats in the line, so they took a chance to rebrand, reduce the number of hulls, increase quality and price :cry:, and build to order (dealers now have to basically buy the boat as opposed to build on spec). Initially it was just the 445--that boat took off starting in Annapolis. They then slowly added to the line.
As for the 355, the dimensions are roughly the same as the 34 (a great thing), but the forward cabin is an Island berth, just like the 310. I'm getting the best of both worlds!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Congrats on the 355. My dealer is pushing me hard to upgrade to a 355; but on the cusp of retirement, that is a lottery win item.
He raced one fairly successfully last year and wants me to test sail one; so I may at least do that

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Congrats on the 355. My dealer is pushing me hard to upgrade to a 355; but on the cusp of retirement, that is a lottery win item.
He raced one fairly successfully last year and wants me to test sail one; so I may at least do that
Thanks. This is our retirement boat and we do love it. I see you are in Ontario. We have several owners in your neck of the woods. If you are interested in a test sail with an owner, I can try and put you in touch. If you're ever in the Boston area, would be more than happy to take you for a sail....

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Thanks
Yes, Oakville main harbour 16 Mile Creek
One of the nicest harbours on the lake.
Thanks for the offers. As we get into the summer, I may take you up on them
Peter

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Hi Clyde
Al and I were racing the Lake Ontario 300, double handed, in July 2010. We had been very broad reaching wing on wing in winds building from 20 kt to 30-35 (relatively steady over the afternoon).

We had two reefs in and a a poled out 135 (original Catalina sails) when it hit.
Seas were building to probably 8-10' to the point that we were starting to surf occasionally to 10-12 kts GPS.

Apparently others had seen it coming and shortened sail; but double handed we were too busy to look back over our shoulders and no one was particularly close for us to observe. Al was actually on the leeward front corner of the cockpit
We had been hit earlier in probably just under 30 kts with a 45 kt gust that caused an accidental gybe. We had a preventer in place that proved a bit too elastic (a stay set halyard) and the boom came across but remarkably softly.
Once we sorted that out we tossed in the second reef and raced on.

When we were knocked down, we did round up pretty quickly; backing the 135 and folding the whisker pole around the shrouds and then flogging the headsail and sheets into Dacron macrame.
Al had been down on the low side adjusting something and once I had grabbed the lifelines and could look for him he was clinging beside me. He didn't tell me until 2 yrs later that the water in the cockpit was 2" shy of the open companionway.

For Pete's Sake popped up very quickly and the cockpit emptied through the walkout as quickly. Al packed the broken pole away then climbed on the bow pulpit and tugged on the folds in the foresail as we ran under main alone. He managed to get the mess untangled, rigged the whisker pole off my old C27 and we carried on as we observed some boats in the distance limping along under bare poles or headsail or heavily reefer main.

They missed a bet as it was very shortly after we got stored out that, with dusk approaching, we surfed to 16.1 kts on the GPS, 18.3 on the knot meter. We went on to win the race but not before being becalmed the next afternoon for 3 hrs.

Al and I always wore PFD's when racing (actually even during pleasure sails). Looking at pictures of the start afterwards it became apparent that very few crews wore PFD's at the start, albeit wins were still pretty light at the start. We were clipped in as the wind freshened above 25, or at all times after dark or on deck.

This is a cut and paste youtube link to a good representation of the wind at the start and as the day progressed. Note that no one was wearing PFD's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyVBe94LvE

Regards
Peter
for.petes.sake@rogers.com if you would like to correspond on this further

Peter - thanks for sharing your experience. Nice to know recovery rate of our boats
in knockdown in those winds. Our cockpits would empty faster with walkthrough.
Obviously much better then cockpit drain holes. You folks had a fun ride. Thanks
again.

Clyde Thorington
San Jose, CA