Very impressed

Feb 16, 2015
Hi I have just purchased a Catalina 31 2000 model and sailed it home from sydney to Hobart a 630 nm trip taking 7 days we had a 30 knot Southey for one day and the boat just handled it great just reefed the sails . the boat was so strong and handle it great just stood up well the best boat I have ever sailed

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Hi I have just purchased a Catalina 31 2000 model and sailed it home from sydney to Hobart a 630 nm trip taking 7 days we had a 30 knot Southey for one day and the boat just handled it great just reefed the sails . the boat was so strong and handle it great just stood up well the best boat I have ever sailed
Yes Mat
Welcome to the fleet!
Aside from a sketchy drivetrain it is an amazing boat.
I have a fin keel; probably one of the few if any on Lake Ontario.
We have been knocked flat in a 55 kt gust from behind while running in 35 kts and we just changed pants; the broken whisker pole; unbraided the jib sheets and kept on surfing @ 13-15 kts.
Every year the dealer checks to see if I am planning on selling since her has interested parties in a fin keel 310; it "ain't" gonna happen!!!
Peter
C310 #147
For Pete's Sake

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Excellent shakedown!

It would make a great article in Main Sheet. I'm sure Bob would help you write it up.

Fair winds,

Jesse

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Mat, we would love to have you write an article on your trip. A few pictures also would be great. If you are interested let's communicate privately - my email is bob@advancedreading.com.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Mat, Welcome Aboard and Congratulations on your New Boat, We might be a little partial But WE have the BEST boats! Please send you article, we would look forward to hearing from our mates down under! Please register your boat-no cost, and when you get a chance Join the association! Again Welcome Aboard!

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Welcome, Matt! You'll definitely enjoy your 310. What's your hull number?

Feb 16, 2015
It's great to be apart of a great community. We spent the last two years looking at many different models but we have always loved the Catalinas. So when we decided to upgrade from our Catalina 27. We knew that the 310 would be the perfect fit. Hull number 42 , we will be will joining the association soon and I look forward to writing about our trip,from sydney to Hobart with big winds. Dolphins and a few hiccups.

Attachments

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Yes Mat
Welcome to the fleet!
Aside from a sketchy drivetrain it is an amazing boat.
I have a fin keel; probably one of the few if any on Lake Ontario.
We have been knocked flat in a 55 kt gust from behind while running in 35 kts and we just changed pants; the broken whisker pole; unbraided the jib sheets and kept on surfing @ 13-15 kts.
Every year the dealer checks to see if I am planning on selling since her has interested parties in a fin keel 310; it "ain't" gonna happen!!!
Peter
C310 #147
For Pete's Sake
Peter - could you give a few more details so those of us who get caught
in same situation could use your knowledge? What sail configuration?
After getting knocked flat guess you would broach so did cockpit fill up? How long to drain? How
high waves (probably felt like 40'?), How long did you stay in broach
situation? Couple crew members? I haven't been hit with 55 gust in
this size boat so would be helpful to see how others handled it. Thank
you.

Clyde Thorington
San Jose, CA

Feb 16, 2015
That's very cool , love to see some pictures of your boat as I am still in the explorer stage of the boat and trying to see how every thing works and fix things as I go .
The boat has not really been used that much only 450 hours and just needs some time tlc

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Mat,

I have a lot of photos of our boat on our blog: s/v Smitty.

We also live aboard full time so if you ever have a question or need a measurement, don't hesitate to ask.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
I love the layout of the 310 so why did Catalina stop making it after a short run?
I sent letter to Gary with question about the boat and among other things he
said " we don't build boats to park against the fence." Appears the last
models were built when the big "depression" hit and when boats
stopped selling they stopped building this line. Someone guessed that
when sales picked up our C310s had lot of "expensive" stuff on them
so wasn't as profitable as larger boats. All that buy C310s have nothing
but good things to say about them.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 240
San Jose, CA

Jan 22, 2008
I love the layout of the 310 so why did Catalina stop making it after a short run?
The 310 is a niche boat.
Truly for a cruising couple and released at a time when the entry level boat was 36-38 feet.
As they saturated the available market and sales tailed off; they dumped the line.
I asked Warren at the time and he indicated that they would be keeping the moulds and patterns for a while and would build on request; but I am sure the statute of limitations has run out on that.
It was a shame to see that happen but it does keep demand up and supply down.
Peter
2001,#147
For Pete's Sake

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Smitty's blog PLUS the great C310 group on this forum (almost their own website) has great information. If it ain't in these two spots, it almost doesn't exist!:dance: There are also links to our C34 website in the C310 stuff on this forum. We share many identical systems and engines.

There were probably different phases of Catalina production.

Phase 1 - the Early Days - C27, C30, C25, C22

Phase 2 - The Middle Years: C36, C34, C42

Phase 3 - The Changeover Years when the closed transom opened up and then they changed to larger cockpits on "Mark II" versions of their favorite boats.

Phase 4 - The "5 Series" going on today. The C355 has the same layout down below as my boat, but it's a completely different boat with a lot of enthusiasts.

It's been a great run from a great company and it is STILL GOING ON. :D:D:D

Thank goodness. :dance::dance::dance:

Jan 22, 2008
Peter - could you give a few more details so those of us who get caught
in same situation could use your knowledge? What sail configuration?
After getting knocked flat guess you would broach so did cockpit fill up? How long to drain? How
high waves (probably felt like 40'?), How long did you stay in broach
situation? Couple crew members? I haven't been hit with 55 gust in
this size boat so would be helpful to see how others handled it. Thank
you.

Clyde Thorington
San Jose, CA
Hi Clyde
Al and I were racing the Lake Ontario 300, double handed, in July 2010. We had been very broad reaching wing on wing in winds building from 20 kt to 30-35 (relatively steady over the afternoon).

We had two reefs in and a a poled out 135 (original Catalina sails) when it hit.
Seas were building to probably 8-10' to the point that we were starting to surf occasionally to 10-12 kts GPS.

Apparently others had seen it coming and shortened sail; but double handed we were too busy to look back over our shoulders and no one was particularly close for us to observe. Al was actually on the leeward front corner of the cockpit
We had been hit earlier in probably just under 30 kts with a 45 kt gust that caused an accidental gybe. We had a preventer in place that proved a bit too elastic (a stay set halyard) and the boom came across but remarkably softly.
Once we sorted that out we tossed in the second reef and raced on.

When we were knocked down, we did round up pretty quickly; backing the 135 and folding the whisker pole around the shrouds and then flogging the headsail and sheets into Dacron macrame.
Al had been down on the low side adjusting something and once I had grabbed the lifelines and could look for him he was clinging beside me. He didn't tell me until 2 yrs later that the water in the cockpit was 2" shy of the open companionway.

For Pete's Sake popped up very quickly and the cockpit emptied through the walkout as quickly. Al packed the broken pole away then climbed on the bow pulpit and tugged on the folds in the foresail as we ran under main alone. He managed to get the mess untangled, rigged the whisker pole off my old C27 and we carried on as we observed some boats in the distance limping along under bare poles or headsail or heavily reefer main.

They missed a bet as it was very shortly after we got stored out that, with dusk approaching, we surfed to 16.1 kts on the GPS, 18.3 on the knot meter. We went on to win the race but not before being becalmed the next afternoon for 3 hrs.

Al and I always wore PFD's when racing (actually even during pleasure sails). Looking at pictures of the start afterwards it became apparent that very few crews wore PFD's at the start, albeit wins were still pretty light at the start. We were clipped in as the wind freshened above 25, or at all times after dark or on deck.

This is a cut and paste youtube link to a good representation of the wind at the start and as the day progressed. Note that no one was wearing PFD's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyVBe94LvE

Regards
Peter
for.petes.sake@rogers.com if you would like to correspond on this further