Venture 21 Max Motor Weight?

Jun 11, 2015
MacGregor/Venture 21 Raymond NH
As an update. I took the boat out for the first time. And i was able to get the outboard down fine. But neither me or my buddy were able to pull it back up... one of us had to push it up from in the water near shore to get it out of the lock position. We tried pulling it up from the boat to get the pin unlocked but pulling up from yhe boat didnt give us much leverage or the correct angle to let us undo the pin. When the motor isnt on the bracket the arms are parallel to eachother. In the pictures i attached. You can see that the bracket arms arent parallel. The top is being pulled from the motor preventing the locking pin from being pulled out unless someone pushes up on the motor.. so is something wrong or am i just doing something stupid? I didnt tilt the motor before trying to pull it up. Would that help? And should i be doing that? Any ideas on any way to finagal or mess with the bracket to fix the arm angle?

Attachments

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I am sorry to say, but what you describe sounds like the motor is too heavy for the bracket. If you replace the bracket with the same company's next higher weight class bracket, you might be able to use the same holes in your transom and be able to pull the motor up w/o too much difficulty, but unless you want to continue doing things the way you had to, I don't think you are going to be able to make that motor bracket work.

Jun 11, 2015
MacGregor/Venture 21 Raymond NH
I found the same design at west marine. But it has an 85lbs capacity and says its for 4stroke engines.. i know mine is 77lbs. Now is that cutting it close? Or do you think ill be fine with that? Im not very knowledgeable about how the max weight on the brackets work. Id rather not have to drill new holes and have a nee backing plate made. So staying with the same bolt pattern is a goal.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I think they are made with a safety margin over the stated limit so I should think you would be fine w/a 77lb motor.

I understand your reluctance to drill new holes or have a custom made backing plate. I used 1/2 marine plywood for a backing plate, drilled one hole, attached it w/a longer bolt. then drilled the rest of the holes with the plate in place. It gave me more confidence when I hung my 130lb(?) motor on it.

You should be OK w/o a backing plate other than the one glassed in to the transom.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
As an update. I took the boat out for the first time. And i was able to get the outboard down fine. But neither me or my buddy were able to pull it back up... one of us had to push it up from in the water near shore to get it out of the lock position. We tried pulling it up from the boat to get the pin unlocked but pulling up from yhe boat didnt give us much leverage or the correct angle to let us undo the pin. When the motor isnt on the bracket the arms are parallel to eachother. In the pictures i attached. You can see that the bracket arms arent parallel. The top is being pulled from the motor preventing the locking pin from being pulled out unless someone pushes up on the motor.. so is something wrong or am i just doing something stupid? I didnt tilt the motor before trying to pull it up. Would that help? And should i be doing that? Any ideas on any way to finagal or mess with the bracket to fix the arm angle?

Personally I think that mount is ok for the size motor you have.

I'm not real sure what you are trying to accomplish by heaving up (or down) the motor mount to travel lock while in the water. Why not just use the motors tilt function?

When we get to the ramp the travel lock comes down and the motor tilted up for entry to the water. The mount stays down that way until we are back in the parking lot after sailing. On the water we only use the tilt function of the motor.

Apr 15, 2023
macgregor venture 222 22 nashville
Hello, I bought a boat! I got her for 600.00 with trailer. Any pointers on what I should do first and where I should start.