Venture 21 Max Motor Weight?

Jun 11, 2015
MacGregor/Venture 21 Raymond NH
Hi guys. So i prob should have asked this before i bought the engine a month ago.... but anyways. I got a 7.5 hp 4 stroke 80s honda outboard. My boat has what looks to be the original motor mount in it. So i guess my question is will the weight of the outboard be too much for my v21? I havent tried putting it on. I just fear breaking it or something due to too much weight. I also had a guy i know make me up a stainless steel backing plate for the motor mount(too replace the oversized washers used) which i have already installed. I believe the outboard weights about 77 lbs. But not totally sure. Think my bracket can take the weight?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I would assume it's the same as the bracket on my Venture 222 which handled my Honda 10hp without any problem.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Is it the fiberglass u-shaped mount? If so, I would upgrade. My venture is a '79 and has an aluminum raise-able mount. It just barely supports my 9.9hp 4-stroke Yamaha. The older, '74 venture has the fiberglass one and I would not trust a 4-stoke to it.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood
I have the aluminum raise-able mount with a 4.5 merc, never had to run it much over half throttle.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I know the max HP for these boats is 10, but that was 2 cycle...if you can find out the average weight of a 2 cycle 10HP motor, you would have a good idea of the max weight.

Apr 19, 2012
I know the max HP for these boats is 10, but that was 2 cycle...if you can find out the average weight of a 2 cycle 10HP motor, you would have a good idea of the max weight.
People have said this before but I haven't actually seen it documented. 4 stroke engines were readily available in the 70s when these boats were built. If the 10HP is limited to 2 stroke engines why isn't it documented as such?

Jun 11, 2015
Here is my outboard motor bracket(sorry about the dusty trans) and i feel like the average 10 hp is about 95lbs. I could be totally wrong.

Attachments

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
I had the same style mount on my Mac 22 and used a 5 hp Tohatsu 4-stroke. Never needed more motor and thought it was a great fit for that boat. I did upgrade to a high-thrust prop which made a difference. I also enjoyed the lighter weight of that motor since you can't trailer with it in place on that bracket.

Apr 19, 2012
That's the identical bracket to what I had on my 22 as well. My reason for going with 10 hp on that boat is that it was available at a decent price.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Had Merc 4 hp on our '21. Plenty of power. 7.5 Honda should be as big as you need. That's what we have on our '25. You won't go above hull speed now matter what size kicker you have. Always think about three things. Weight, Weight, Weight.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I don't think you will have any problem with the 7.5HP, 77lb outboard. My 9.9HP, hundred some lb. motor is another story. I backed up the inside of the transom with 1/2" plywood and longer mounting bolts. It does not carry well while trailering and I am concerned it will break off part of the transom if I hit a hard enough bump. The trailer is now unbalanced so it will tip up when I am in the cockpit if the back end of the trailer is not supported with a jack and it is not hitched to my towing vehicle. The axle needs to be moved back to restore balance, or the easier fix, downsize to a smaller outboard. I plan to do that as soon as I sell my Ranger 26.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Budgates, sure 4 strokes were available but who bought a sub-10HP 4 stroke back then? Cruising Craigslist or EBay, I don't see any 4 strokes in that size range. As far as documentation goes...have you seen the manual? Enough said.

Apr 19, 2012
Budgates, sure 4 strokes were available but who bought a sub-10HP 4 stroke back then? Cruising Craigslist or EBay, I don't see any 4 strokes in that size range. As far as documentation goes...have you seen the manual? Enough said.
Check again. I have a 1976 10 HP Honda long shaft outboard in my back yard that came with my 1976 Venture 222. My buddy has a 1978 7.5 HP Honda. (The only difference is the carburetor.)

Yes, I have read the manual. It doesn't specify 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
OK, I yield on the 2 stroke, 4 stroke availability debate, but I still say a 9.9 or 10hp four stroke on a Venture 21 is pushing it weight wise. My point about the manual was tongue in cheek as in, the manual does not tell you much of anything. I have not compared it with other manufacturers manuals, but my first impression was...where can I find the missing pages!

Apr 19, 2012
OK, I yield on the 2 stroke, 4 stroke availability debate, but I still say a 9.9 or 10hp four stroke on a Venture 21 is pushing it weight wise. My point about the manual was tongue in cheek as in, the manual does not tell you much of anything. I have not compared it with other manufacturers manuals, but my first impression was...where can I find the missing pages!
I'll agree to both statements. A 90# 10HP 4-stroke is pushing the limit on a V-21, but the question was asking for "Maximum."

I'll also agree that the manual is quite limited. When I first read it I was also wondering "Where's the rest of it?" I would still expect that if a 4-stroke 10HP that was available at the time of manufacture was too much for the boat Macgregor would take steps to cover their own tails.

Having said that, I would NOT put my 115# 9.9HP Suzuki on a boat that small. But then, this outboard wasn't available then.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Having said that, I would NOT put my 115# 9.9HP Suzuki on a boat that small. But then, this outboard wasn't available then.
Yes, and neither was my Yamaha 9.9HP X-long shaft, power tilt, electric start w/alternator that I think outweighs your Suzuki, and that was my original point. I don't think the 10HP limit (Isn't that in the manual?) included outboards such as this.

Needless to say they are more engine than a 21' Venture needs, so despite the fact that my motor came with my Ranger 26 and costs me nothing to use on my Venture, I am going to replace it with a smaller, lighter motor as soon as I have the funds available.

But the OP, with his 7.5HP, likely OK, if he is still following this thread.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
The V21 can probably handle the heavier motor, but I have the Merc 4 hp as well and it all the motor needed unless you are regularly battling tides. My V21 also points much better when there is less weight in the stern. even the difference between only lifting the motor clear of the water and then also tilting it forward can be felt in the boats handling.

Jun 11, 2015
I am still following. I put my motor on the bracket. It seemed to be okay.. maybe. Little strained. I found a paper of stats in the paperwork with me boat. It says a max size of 7.5 hp actually. And with the stainless steal backplate i feel like it will be just fine. However should my bracket arms have play in it? Mine like moves a good deal side to side.... i mean i could have just not noticed it on other boats ive used but im wonderinv if it means its time for a new bracket? Or is there a fix? The bolts holding it together are tight and the bracket looks good. Any thoughts on this? I just dont want to drop 600 bucks in a lake... Haha.