Venting Air in the Locked up Cabin

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 1984 ODay 28. When not used she sits buttoned up in the humid NC climate. I know I should have some air venting to reduce the chance of mold. There is not much space for adding a solar power fan and top side vent. I could cut a hole in the opening hatch just forward of the mast And cut a hole in one of the companionway boards to insert some sort of metal vent and screen to keep the bugs out. I hate putting holes in my boat. What have others done for a boat this size?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Solar power fan. Venting from bow to aft. Leave cabinets open or make venting holes in them. Ice box open. On my R 29, which was a 1972 model the venting was installed by the builder but had been converted to an engine blower system as per USCG standards. The boat was always a bit musty. I de-converted the vents back to the designed purpose and the boat always smelled clean and fresh. I never worried about gas fumes (But I would check) because air was always flowing through the boat.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a ton of good discussion already posted on here. Try searching on ventilation.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If ya have shore power, a dehumidifier is a great fix for keeping the interior dry. When ya get a dehumidifier, you have to keep fresh air out so the unit can keep the humidity down without running constantly.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We have a vent for the anchor line forward as an intake, and a solar vent on the afterdeck near the transom that exhausts continuously. Works pretty well.

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
We have a vent for the anchor line forward as an intake, and a solar vent on the afterdeck near the transom that exhausts continuously. Works pretty well.
are there particular products you use you can recommend? What size boat? Please share photos when you can

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
If ya have shore power, a dehumidifier is a great fix for keeping the interior dry. When ya get a dehumidifier, you have to keep fresh air out so the unit can keep the humidity down without running constantly.
Where does the moisture go that the dehumidifier collects? Do you have a recommended product?

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have a Nicro Day/night vent in my fore hatch. I also have a vented drop board, so can get flow thourgh. Hatch vent looks like this

dropboard inside.jpg

drop-port-outside.jpg
and I have a plug for cold or heavy rains

drop-port-plug.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have 7 of the Seaworthy rain shields and the engine panel cover. Sorry to hear they are gone. The rain shields are okay in a straight-down lite drizzle and not much breeze. With the slope of my cabin, I can get some rain inside. just need to keep a watch on it. I would not leave the ports open if not on the boat.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
For my H31 I have a dehumidifier I purchased from Wal Mart and discharge into galley sink.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The only solution I have found that works well is having a 120V Dehumidifier at a 50% humidity setting. Like others have said you can run the condensation discharge hose directly into the bilge.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I run a small AC dehumidifier when we close up. I drains in the lav sink. They do create heat though. My solar vent helps remove some of this heat