Vendée Globe?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'll look for some of those videos. I have to admit my patience is tested with that site.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Are you going here: Official website of the Vendée Globe - Vendée Globe - En. ?

If you click on "the race" in the menu bar, it gives you access to the videos, tracking, stats, and the skippers and boats.
The French version gives a bit more information, with exchanges with more outside experts and competitors from earlier races than the English one.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I’m beginning to wonder how much help foils are for long distance non-crewed races. Seven of the first fifteen boats are non foiling.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The foils have been a bane to a number of boats. There is the out breakage. The damage to the housing. The inability to sail on both gybes. Having to slow the boat to decrease possible damage. Their benefit in this type of race is open to question.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Makes you wonder if the foilers are actually deploying them. Have to look at the videos to see...

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
This is going to be an interesting finish. Top 8 boats within 100 nm. Jean le Cam in 8th still has his 12hr. ? redress for the rescue which essentially puts him right up front.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The Jury has allotted Jean LeCam 16 hours and 15 minutes redress because of his rescue efforts. The leaders still have the doldrums coming up. They may not be as quick a trip as they were on the way outbound.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
A restart for the top 9 with 4300 miles to go. It will be interesting to see how the next few days turn out.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Lots of changes in the lead grouping. Jean LeCam still plugging along.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I must admit I really wanted Alex Thomas to win but since he has been out; Boris Herman has fast become my favorite. I hope he wins as I believe he would be the first German to win the race and he is so much fun to watch. My son and I watch the updates almost every evening together (he is 11:)). Amazing that it is so close after so many miles.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So having just looked at the tracking I was wondering why Dalin doesn't just point the bow at Les Sables. The wind seems to be favorable for some beam reaching in 12 kts. The Northern boat is basically at the latitude of the finish. I can't see going more North and I don't see that there will be significantly more wind.

Sep 20, 2006
The Live feed yesterday morning, they were talking the various strategies. I believe they were saying Dalin was sticking close to the coast to take advantage of some wind affect from shoreline?? Didn't quite catch everything they were saying.

Looks like it will come down to minutes at the line as Boris has his 6 hour redress from the rescue.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Waves aren't as high near the Spanish coast, may enable him to sail faster. We'll see! The leaders are expected to finish Wed PM/evening.

Sep 20, 2006
Also looks like Louis Burton crossing the start line early and taking the 5 hour penalty was not such a bright idea......

Sep 20, 2006
SERIOUSLY??????? F@#k, f@#k, f@$k. Unfriggingbelievable. I was so rooting for him and a dipsh!t fishing boat takes him out???

At 1950hrs UTC this evening while racing in third place, some 90 miles from the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d’Olonne German skipper Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-Yacht Club de Monaco) was in collision with a fishing boat. He reports damage to his starboard foil and some other damage but he is unharmed and has secured the boat and is proceeding towards the finish line at reduced speed.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I just saw this as well. Its devastating i was so ruting for Him. He could have been the first non french skipper to win it all (after time correction of course). Here's hoping that he will still make the podium.