Vendée Globe?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
30kts? How do you sleep? Their brains are operating on a level I can't understand.

at 30 knots, maybe just short periods of rest, no idea how they can do it. Increadable how they can function for 3 months on broken sleep and cat naps here and there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This from Sebastian Simon' statement on his damaged foil. "... and the foil housing (where the foil goes inside the boat) are no longer attached to the boat itself..."
That would seem to be a problem to me. He is headed to calmer water to assess as is Sam Davies. Simon is keeping the boat heeled over to prevent ingress of water. I don't see him returning. Sam's race is also in trouble. She had described cracks around the keel housing. I don't understand the structure of these boats but that seems like a highly loaded area. I don't think anyone sane would head into the Southern Ocean "Tunnel" in a broken boat. But sanity doesn't describe these contestants in the first place.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Certainly looking like a race of attrition now. What is that, 5 or 6 out now and not even halfway around?
Indeed. The ones retired so far are -
  • Escoffier - Boat split in half
  • Thompson - Rudder structure (after bow repairs)
  • Simon - Foil damage from impact
  • Troussel - Dismasted
  • Davies - Not retired yet but sailing the wrong way toward shelter to attempt to repair foil damage from impact.

Sep 20, 2006
Sam is still assessing the damage and making to Cape Town where she can get into calm water and protected to possibly repair. I don't think she can tie up but can at least anchor in a sheltered bay. Good video to see the damage although in french and french sub-titles.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Last I looked Sam had sailed through lighter winds. I think she may be going to anchor in a harbor. I think this has been done in earlier renditions of this race.
It would be something if Le Cam in his non foiling boat holds together for the whole race and does well.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
these boats are not "bluewater" boats. just like an indy car is not an off road vehicle

• Wow

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If Samantha's keel box is compromised with those long diagonal cracks (she mostly fixed a leak where her keel ram arm went through the hull) it does not bode well. It would appear that her keel hit something, as opposed to one of her foils. She looks a little worried in her videos, and is taking it slowly and as gently as possible. She says her technical team is trying to figure out what can be done, but there may not be much.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
She's out. Next excitement is going to be getting Kevin offloaded from Yes We Cam. JLC is staying within striking distance of the leaders. It looks like Jérémie Beyou on Charal is closing with the back of the fleet and may pass some boats in the next few days.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Seems Didac Costa has hit a small (7m) whale at 10 knots. No damage to boat or whale, apparently, though he did furl jibs to do thorough inspection.
The maxi trimaran Sodebo, doing Trophée Jules Verne record run is averaging 30+ knots and is starting to pass the tail end of the VG fleet.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Great White Whale's revenge.
The low in the exclusion zone seems to be moving East in conformity with the peloton giving them a nice ride if a bit sporty. "...Spinning wheel, got to go 'round..."

Sep 20, 2006
Great video of Kevin evacuating Jean le Cam boat.
Now that Sam is out ( my favourite from previous VG ) hard to decide who to root for.

Isabelle Joschke is the next female, great to see so many females in the race and she has been doing great in catching up with the front group.
Romain Attanasio, just becouse he's Sam's husband.
Jean le Cam, being in a non-foiling boat and giving the front runners a good race, although will remain to be seen once the foilers stop holding back their boats due to the rough conditions. Besides he's 61, same age as me, and I give him credit for his skill and tenacity and I could not even begin to imagine doing what he is doing.
Louis Burton, after crossing the line early and taking a 5 hour penelty early in the race has fought back to 3rd place.

Maybe I'll just root for anyone that manages to finish the race.....

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Breeze seems to be filling in all over, with the pack closing in on the leaders and Charal getting ready to pass a few at the tail end. Now the trick is for them to keep jumping to the next low and catch it at the right angle.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Two crashed computers and another boat heads home. Charal has passed his first competitor, about 1/3 of the way through the race. Just 4 miles difference between positions 4 to 7, after 12,000 miles of racing. Crazy stuff!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Good report in the newsletter today. Had good descriptions of life on board while alone 1,000 miles from Australia. Good insight to the mental challenges.

Sep 20, 2006
I watched a few of the videos of the peleton meet up, was very cool.

Good to see Sam heading out again, although latest report shows her heading towards calmer air, hope she's not still having problems.