Vendée Globe?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Kevin Escoffier, PRB, in 3rd, triggered his distress beacon and has abaonded his boat into his liferaft. Jean Le Cam has diverted under motor to assist.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Checking this am I noted wind speeds in that area were in the low twenties. I think they were seeing 3 meter waves. If he got off the boat it must have been bad. Hit something? Another structural failure? Good on Le Cam but assuming there’s a rescue how does he continue?

Sep 20, 2006
Most likely struck an object, like a container. Several boats in past races are put out by semi-submerged containers. Many of the boats now have detectors mounted with alarms to try to detect them.

Cam will most likely head to South Africa and drop him off and then continue. The Race Comittee will award him something for this time speant on the resuce such as time allowance. All racers are obligated to render assistance, but all would do so regardless.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Would be nice if Alex Thompson could pick Kevin up from Jean LeCam on his way, but Jean might not want to wait that long. Other vessels in the area may be able to assist.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Hoping the rescue goes well. They have good technology helping. And I agree that these sailors are as much colleagues as competitors.
But a question remains about how you can compensate the rescuing sailors and maintain the the validity of the race. Sounds complicated. You can’t make up for passing weather systems.
First business is to get this sailor rescued.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I found the newsletter and subscribed. This AM's edition has an account of the rescue including breakup of the boat. Looks like it broke in half (Nearly) plowing into a large wave. The account says the bow and stern were at a 90 degree angle. That's never good. The rescue was more difficult than I was imagining. Windier and bigger waves than I thought.
I didn't see that about Hugo Boss. That would be a shame. Two repairs before the Cape of Good Hope doesn't bode well.
Two boats have broken. I have to believe there'll be more.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looking at positions today I would comment that Le Cam is only 500 miles off the lead even after the rescue. He looks pretty good! Sam's husband, Romain(?) must of had a good run because he has closed with her to about 400 miles. I think her lead was much bigger a few days ago. Hugo looks a little like he's heading to Cape Town. He's sailing on a course towards CT and into lighter air. Maybe he'll do the repair in the lighter air and smaller waves and rejoin the race?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Hugo looks a little like he's heading to Cape Town. He's sailing on a course towards CT and into lighter air. Maybe he'll do the repair in the lighter air and smaller waves and rejoin the race?
His team reported that he’s retiring. Just headed back to Cape Town to abandon. The rudder damage was irreparable.

Sep 20, 2006
Sam seems to be consistantly running a knot or two off the main pace and has been caught by the second larger group. Not sure why as she's a very experienced sailor and has done Vendee previously.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
According to 19h00 UTC report Sam Davies has hit something and is heading north for calmer weather so she can determine what the damage is and perhaps fix it.

Sep 20, 2006
According to 19h00 UTC report Sam Davies has hit something and is heading north for calmer weather so she can determine what the damage is and perhaps fix it.
Yep saw that..... sshhhhoooiiiittttttcrrrraaapppppp

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sebastien Simon has the same problem. Bashed in starboard foil and his damaged trunk is leaking. Sam was reporting doing better than 30 knots at times and was really pleased at a 400+ mile day.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Sam seems to be consistantly running a knot or two off the main pace and has been caught by the second larger group. Not sure why as she's a very experienced sailor and has done Vendee previously.
You have to finish with a boat in one piece to win. slowing down a tad can make you very fast ;).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
30kts? How do you sleep? Their brains are operating on a level I can't understand.

Sep 20, 2006
Sam is now heading to Cape Town with structural damage around the keelbox. She came to a complete stop from 20 knts.