Vacuum gauge on Racor filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
But I just can't justify buying the drag needle type of gauge for $50-70 additional each.
Rich,

If you really want to monitor vacuum then the drag needle is the cats meow. I also have the standard Racor vacuum gauge and it is. IMHO a complete waste of money and pretty useless. It does not pulse however even though it is not fluid filled.

In order to know what is going on with my engine primary filter the engine needs to be at or near max RPM and I need to physically leave the helm, open the engine bay and watch it. How often am I going to do that... Not very... If I want to monitor it remotely then I'd need more fuel hose and add more potential for fuel leaks.

With the drag needle gauge I can look at it five days later and will still know max vacuum. They are WELL worth the price premium.

If you want cheap vacuum gauges check out the ones used on oil burners and oil filters for residential and commercial plumbing applications. Garber is one manufacturer who sells them but they are not drag needle style. You might also try Ashcroft or Westwood..

Personally I can't believe I waited as long as I did to buy a drag needle gauge..

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Search out "designated engineer"

He sells many versions of dampened guages
Yes same gauge I use.. Sailors Solutions and DE sell the same gauge only I think DE might be slightly less $$ now..

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I bought my drag needle gauge from a company called Borel who makes alarm systems and right after I installed mine the needle was pinned......and I found the pickup tube clogged and for previous 3 yrs my engine never skipped a beat but I'm sure sooner or later I would have gotten stuck and every time I stick my head in the engine room I check the gauge to see if the drag has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.