Vacuum gauge on Racor filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I am considering installing vacuum gauges on my two Racor filters. Due to the pricing of the Racor branded gauges, I am looking at other USA manufactured gauges.

My question: Is the Racor vacuum gauge liquid filled to dampen the fuel pump pulses, or if not filled or if unknown, does the gauge remain steady when the engine is running?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what features I need to purchase for a vacuum gauge.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I am considering installing vacuum gauges on my two Racor filters. Due to the pricing of the Racor branded gauges, I am looking at other USA manufactured gauges.

My question: Is the Racor vacuum gauge liquid filled to dampen the fuel pump pulses, or if not filled or if unknown, does the gauge remain steady when the engine is running?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what features I need to purchase for a vacuum gauge.
I found these on Boatus and had them on the filters in about 5 minutes.
http://www.boatus.com/classifiedads/searchresults.aspx?pagenum=0
All U Get

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The vacuum gauge I use is a liquid filled compound gauge (30 mm. Hg vacuum and 30 PSI positive pressure) 1-1/2" face with 1/4" NPT. Got it from a local industrial instrument supplier which I used for years .

The brand name was Weksler and I don't think I paid over $30.00 for it (1999 prices).

Once installed, I noticed there was no vibration due to pulsing and seeing how it's not mounted on the engine body, I probably didn't need liquid filled. Just a nice to have.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
benefits of a pulsating gauge.
If all you are needing is an indication of the fuel filter not being clogged then a pulsating gauge will work fine. Just eyeball average the pulses. You also will get an immediate indication that the fuel pump is actually working (or not) as the pulses will tell the tale

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
(AL) R2D2 -T - HANDLE WITH RESETTABLE FILTER CHANGE GAUGE [R2D2] $89.50 T- HANDLE WITH RESETTABLE FILTER CHANGE GAUGE. FITS RACOR 500 / 900 / 1000 FILTERS MADE FROM SOLID BRASS AND 100% DIESEL FUEL COMPATIBLE POLYMER. STOP GUESSING WHEN TO CHANGE YOUR FILTERS !!!!! The R2D2 measures the vacuum / suction restriction caused by contamination of the DIESEL FUEL FILTER. The filter cover can be removed without tools. The indicator locks in position at the highest restriction level therefore it can be read with the engine or pump off. The gauge is fluid free so it is not affected by temperature changes or vibration and can be laid down after removal without leaking; all common problems with fluid vacuum gauges. The top of the unit has a reset button which returns the gauge to its zero setting, but will instantly measure the current contamination of the filter when the engine or pump is re-started. All the guesswork of when filters are in need of changing is eliminated, No numbers to read. When the YELLOW indicator gets near the bottom RED area then.. Change the Filter. As long as the YELLOW indicator is in the GREEN your good to GO. Remember: The R2D2 can be read with the engine or pump off because it locks in position at the highest measured contamination level. ENTER CODE: BOATUS15 TO GET 15% OFF Go To www.DIRTYFUELFILTER.com FREE U.S. SHIPPING PATENT PENDING $89.50 LESS 15% ENTER CODE: BOATUS15 AT www.DIRTYFUELFILTER.comContact Name:

I hope this paste works. Phil, am I violating any rules, just pull the thread.
All U Get

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rich, Weksler is a very good gauge, industrial strength, I spec 'em for my clients in new buildings. Don't know about pulses from the Racor gauge, but I doubt it. Weksler's don't, but I don't have the spec sheet to hand to tell you the components. Can't go wrong if you get a good price, but I'd like to know the delta between the Racor and the Weksler, if you do find out. Make sure you get the right range.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I use the drag needle gauge from Sailors Solutions. They are very well built and considerably more robust than the Racor gauge which does not have a drag needle.

http://sailorssolutions.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=VG01KT

The drag needle allows you to read the max vacuum with the engine off!!!

From what I understand the vacuum gauge All-U-Get posted is now being sold by Parker/Racor and you can no longer buy them direct..

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Mounting the gauge in the engine compartment is not convenient so I plan to do a remote mount. Does anyone have this and where did you find the fittings to attach to the Racor? What type of hose did you use? Chuck

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Rich, Macmaster does have a glycerin filled compound vacum gages for around $25 if that is what you want.

Chuckbear,

Defender has the racor fittings and you would use the same type of fuel hose that you already have.

Jan 3, 2009
Chuckbear,

Defender has the racor fittings and you would use the same type of fuel hose that you already have.
Can't find the Racor fittings without the gauge and don't want to pay $100 for a $25 gauge and a couple of fittings. That is why I wonder if anyone found non Racor fittings and hose. I don't know for sure but have some concerns using fuel lines on a vacuum line. Chuck

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Can't find the Racor fittings without the gauge and don't want to pay $100 for a $25 gauge and a couple of fittings. That is why I wonder if anyone found non Racor fittings and hose. I don't know for sure but have some concerns using fuel lines on a vacuum line. Chuck
Chuck,

Sailors Solutions sells the 1/4" to Racor adapter for $27.49. With a drag needle gauge you can check it when you check the oil or on the engine so no real need for extra hose if you check your engine regularly. The red drag needle will tell you the highest vacuum achieved during the time the engine was running. The engien does not need to be running for the drag needle gauges to tell you the highest vacuum.

Jan 3, 2009
Thanks Maine. What are your thoughts on the type of hose? The gauge will be mounted about 4 feet away from the Racor. Chuck

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I thought the fittings where standard iron pipe type. I'd be using a fuel hose to connect them.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I thought the fittings where standard iron pipe type. I'd be using a fuel hose to connect them.
If your filter is anything like the Racor 110A Filter housing, all external fittings are 1/4" NPT (plain old pipe fittings). Use hose X male NPT adapters.

I can't see any problem with using small diameter fuel hose as you won't see vacuums high enough to collapse it. If that doesn't meet your needs, go industrial and use 1/4" copper tubing. For copper, you can find all the required fittings at your local hardware store and they are more than adequate for light vacuum. Ensure that all lines are well supported to withstand any vibration.

One final note, do not use teflon tape on fuel pipe fittings. It always manages to leak over time. Your best bet is to use Permatex #2 for thread sealant.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
A summary of sorts...

Thanks to all for your inputs. It appears that I have four choices, five if you include doing nothing.

First I could buy a vacuum gauge from Racor for $60-70. It appears that would be a compound gauge non-fluid filled without a drag needle.

Second I could buy a compound vacuum gauge that is fluid filled for dampening with a drag needle for about $90.

Third I could buy a compound vacuum gauge that is fluid filled for dampening for about $20.

Fourth I could buy a compound vacuum gauge that is not filled for about $11.

Some of these gauges are made in the USA (more jobs for us). All have a 1/4-18 NPT bottom threaded connection. Some have a steel case, some have a stainless steel case.

Racor claims that their filter model 215R that I have - ( it uses spin-on cartridges) - has threaded ports that are 1/4 NPTF. The "F" on the end signifies Fuel and the difference between the standard NPT and the NPTF is that the threads on the NPTF are designed to have an interference fit on both the top and bottom of the thread and to be assembled without any sealant.

It appears that it is acceptable to assemble NPT and NPTF threads together with a sealant suitable for the fuel you use either diesel or gasoline. Teflon tape is not recommended to seal the threads on fuel fittings. Apparently it can leak. If anyone has info to the contrary, please post.

Anyway since nobody has commented that their gauge pulses with the engine running, I think I will buy a couple of the non-filled gauges. Perhaps I will splurge and buy filled gauges. But I just can't justify buying the drag needle type of gauge for $50-70 additional each.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rich,

Good analysis. If you are like me, regularly checking measuring devices on your boat (battery monitors, oil levels, fuel, etc.) then the gauge without the drag needle would work. Kinda like a barometer.

If you buy the steel case, then just paint it with Rustoleum before you install it.

I recall that Maine Sail had a discussion on his pbase website about those threads, might want to check there.

Stu

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I recall that Maine Sail had a discussion on his pbase website about those threads, might want to check there.Stu
I checked Stu, but did not find any info on NPT vs. NPTF. Were you possibly thinking of the thread differences between the thru-hull (NPS) and the ball valves (NPT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.