Using Radio to Have Bridge Raised

Jun 4, 2017
Hunter 23 Kennewick, WA
Sorry for the probably stupid question but how do you actually call in to have a train bridge raised once you know the bridge ID #? I know you use channel 13 but what do you actually say lol? I have never done it and don't want to sound like too much of a newby the first time. lol.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bridge XYZ (3 times), this is s/v ABC, on CH 13. I am coming from ... direction.

They reply recognizing you.

I request a draw. [Or I request a bridge opening.]

They respond.

You wait, they open, you go through.

Simple as that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A train bridge can be a little different than other bridges because of the obvious - the train. If there is a train due to come across the operator cannot open. So you have to wait. We run into this on the Mystic River often. They have a countdown clock which is at best inaccurate. I've noted that the operator doesn't answer duplicate requests to open. That bridge is on the I95 corridor between NY and Boston. There are plenty of trains.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
In my limited experience, I requested an opening as Stu indicated, and the tender responded with the time of the next scheduled opening (on the hour and half past), which I already knew anyway. I was just letting him know I was there since I don't think it opens unless there is a sailboat waiting. It's a simple exchange of information so don't be too worried about protocol. Just follow the basics.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Luckily our only local train bridge defaults to being open. Until recently it was a fully automated bridge, so when a train is due, an audible warning is given with a big countdown timer indicating when the bridge will be closing. Then you have to wait for as long as the train takes to cross it.

We are in the beginnings of getting a local high speed rail service (All Aboard Florida), and to deal with the increased rail traffic they are talking about adding a bridge tender.

Video Bridge tender may ease boater fears about All Aboard Florida

new-river-bridge-monitored-by-tender-video-20150430.jpg

new river rail bridge.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You wait, they open, you go through.
:plus:

If they open the bridge just for me, I add, after clearing the bridge...

"CSX Railroad bridge... The [My boat name] is clear and thanks you for the opening!"

The bridge tender records your passage and remembers a kind word.;)
_______
On a true, "light hearted" conversation with that same bridge tender...

Situation: My boat and a smaller sailboat were kinda racing to the bridge heading home. The bridge was closed. I was told previously, by the tender, to give him 8-10 minutes warning and if tracks are clear, he would have it open in time.

Small boat: CSX open the bridge!
CSX: I have a train coming, it will be a few minutes.
Small boat: How many minutes?
CSX: Just a few.
Time... 5 minutes later...
Small boat: How much longer!:cuss:
CSX: The train is just down the track.
Time... 5 more minutes

Small boat: WELLLLL!!??
Silence

We see the train come to a full stop with the engine and a few cars on the fixed part of bridge.:confused:
Time... 10 minutes more.
Small boat circling. We are stopped, getting some cold beer and chips.

Small boat: (yelling and mad) Why is that train STOPPED?:mad:
( we waited a long long 30 seconds)
CSX: I just talked to the engine and he has a FLAT TIRE!!!:laugh:

__________ ever hear a silent radio "snicker"?

CSX: He will be under way in just a few minutes.

Be kind to your bridge tender!
Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Waiting on the rail bridge in Morgan City, Louisiana; CSX: "you guys have a bit of a wait, train had a little problem and they are correcting it, but may take a while." about a half hour later, CSX:"Do yall need any pork?" MV Riff Raft:" Uhhhhh no, why ya asking?" CSX:" Train hit two wild pigs which tore open some brake lines. The workers want to know if anyone wants the results!" We saluted the operator when we got through 20 minutes later..