Using old through-hull transducer with new tech

Sep 16, 2016
Hunter 30 Anacortes, WA
1989 Hunter 30...looks to be the original transducer. Looking to upgrade the nav systems and I'm curious if its even possible to use this transducer until my haul-out in the Spring.

Thank you!!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Great question, I'll be watching the replies. We have a 1989 Hunter 30. And I can't remember what brand we have. The brand of new instruments may also be important. I don't think there are interface standards for transducers, but I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong.

Ken

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Last I looked into this, it seemed that most transducers are built by a single company (Airmar?) and if the frequency(s) is/are compatible with the new system, all that is required is an adaptor from the transducer cable to the instrument's.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you are moving to current technology (NMEA 2000) then you would likely need an analog to N2K converter. Without knowing what you had/have and what you plan to purchase it is really impossible to say what you'll need.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
Many raymarine instruments are compatible with older transducers from the autohelm and old ray marine days. I mated 2012 instruments with 1994 transducers and they worked fine. Ray Marine's tech forum is a good place for questions and answers (assuming these are ray marines)