USB Port: Which, and Where to Install?

Jul 17, 2013
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has installed a USB port for charging phones, etc., in your Capri. I have a Mark I Capri 22, so the electrical panel is down low. Wondering which USB port port you selected (I'm thinking about this one) and, in particular, where in the boat you installed it.

Cheers,
Charlie

PS: Searched for threads on this topic but did not find one dealing with Capris. If I missed it, apologies.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has installed a USB port for charging phones, etc., in your Capri. I have a Mark I Capri 22, so the electrical panel is down low. Wondering which USB port port you selected (I'm thinking about this one) and, in particular, where in the boat you installed it.

Cheers,
Charlie

PS: Searched for threads on this topic but did not find one dealing with Capris. If I missed it, apologies.
that one looks like it plugs into an existing 12v socket. Eazy peazy.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I recommend installing just a regular 12V cigarette lighter socket. The reason is that over time the USB charging protocols will advance, and connectors will change, but your installed USB port will not. With a regular 12V socket you can plug in an adapter with the latest technology, and the latest connector.

The BSS device says, for example, that it "charges at the speed required by specific devices," but it doesn't cite a particular charging protocol. Quickcharge 4? I doubt it. Will it supply the power needed by a USB C laptop? No.

I plug one of these into a 12V receptacle by the nav station:

<b>PowerDrive Speed</b> 2
When it comes time to upgrade beyond QC3, I can just unplug it and plug in the new one.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'd favor one that screws into the wood. Too many cigar lighter ones seem to vanish after the weekend crew leaves the boat. I have a cigar outlet at the nav station, but have bought some panel-mount ones - for each cabin - that they can't remove.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks, guys! Really appreciate the suggestions. I had not considered just installing a 12v socket. For future-proofing this really does seem like the best option. I'm also going to try a surface install. I'm quite inexperienced, so cutting holes in the boat is not something I am keen to do.

Cheers, Charlie

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
There is a good place inside where the finished fiberglass ends just past the bulkhead. If you can find a socket that attaches from the bottom you'll only need to drill 2 screw holes in an out of the way place. It is kind of hidden in this location but it is convenient both to the power panel where it can be run to a switch, and also it is a short run to the cockpit to power a device. It is nice to have it switched since many USB chargers draw current when not connected.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I plug one of these into a 12V receptacle by the nav station:

<b>PowerDrive Speed</b> 2
When it comes time to upgrade beyond QC3, I can just unplug it and plug in the new one.

Bingo!! Oh and fuse your 12V outlet at no more than 7.5A and when the USB standard changes, slide out the $9.00 USB charger and slide in a new one...