Upwind troubles

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Ok so here i am again, in my driveway i had all rigging snug, mast straight and level and i get to the lake and winds are blowing pretty hard but get mast up and whichever stay thats on opposite side of the wind is getting quite abit of slack in them, is this normal or are they to loose, however my upwind range was alot better

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Like was already mentioned by TR in that other thread, if your mast is still raked like it looks to be in your picture, the boat is never going to point upwind. Did you address this at all? I dont know how it should be set, but it looks WAY too far forward and that wants to drive the boat downwind. My .02, spend your time getting the sail plan balanced correctly first, then learn the tricks for best going upwind.

A manual that might be close is available on this site (thanks to whomever spent the time to set this up) http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/pdf/1361.pdf I didnt read this but it may have some info on how to set the mast rake correctly.

edit.. I looked at that link, looks like no info on correct mast rake

Wholly rake!!!!! On the pic it looks like it has 2 feet forward rake!!!!!! try to get it vertical and start from that!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
Ok so here i am again, in my driveway i had all rigging snug, mast straight and level and i get to the lake and winds are blowing pretty hard but get mast up and whichever stay thats on opposite side of the wind is getting quite abit of slack in them, is this normal or are they to loose, however my upwind range was alot better
yes, the downwind shroud should be slack, but not flapping.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
yes, the downwind shroud should be slack, but not flapping.
No. Never slack. Yes Less tension. But sounds like you are close with the tension. Tension should not be a limiter now. Try posting a video of sailing the boat. Capture images of the sails. Upload the video to you tube. Post the link here. There's not enough info at this point.

Feb 13, 2016
Understand, i carried my go pro last weekend for that purpose and forgot all about it

Feb 13, 2016
Yes we made alot of progress that day, pretty happy til the wind kicked up hard once on a starboard tack, rails wasnt in the water but felt real scary, highest heal yet, i was locked to the rudder and wife and kids hit the floor, wew, scary! After wife got up she said do it again, my answer no fn way but shes a roller coaster freak me not so much

Feb 13, 2016
Thankyou, kids headed to grandparents and off we go for the weekend, her ideal!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Maybe she just wants the rail buried.:wink:
If I ever buried the rails with the wife onboard I'd be doomed to single-handing from then on. (Haven't decided if that's a bad thing or not.)

Feb 13, 2016
Hahaha, my wife wants to be scared, but she doesnt know the work i put into this boat to make it nice! Im chicken as heck

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can bury the rail ( heel the boat 20 degrees) and not loose money. Maybe new sailor virginity but the boat will react without issues. Maybe even 40degrees and you'll likely round up and all well. Laying it out 90 degrees with the spreaders tipping the water is a bit much and likely will require a change of underwear on a keel boat. :laugh:
Go out with the thought. It's an adventure.

Feb 13, 2016
True but :yikes:, we can swim great and all flotation in boat, its just sooo wrong to nearly tip a boat over! Our anniversary is next weekend kid free for weekend and in wifes words lets see what she'll do! Again :yikes:

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
If I ever buried the rails with the wife onboard I'd be doomed to single-handing from then on. (Haven't decided if that's a bad thing or not.)
I recently buried the rail on our Sabre 28 with my wife on-board. She loved it....

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
No. Never slack. Yes Less tension. But sounds like you are close with the tension. Tension should not be a limiter now. Try posting a video of sailing the boat. Capture images of the sails. Upload the video to you tube. Post the link here. There's not enough info at this point.
The manual for my Sabre 28 states that outside shrouds should have no tension while the inside shrouds should be slack on the leeward side.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The manual for my Sabre 28 states that outside shrouds should have no tension while the inside shrouds should be slack on the leeward side.
:confused: Kind of confusing. Who writes this stuff?