Upgrading Engine Instrument Panel

Apr 20, 2012
Catalina 27 Northport, NY
I want to replace the old engine instrument panel on my Catalina 27 (#5321) with the Engine Instrument Panel Catalina Yachts <-95 (Part #: Z2644). They state it was designed to work with a boat that has a Universal Diesel. I have an Universal 5411 diesel.

Two of the key reasons I want to change out the panel is the new panel has a Tachometer and Run Hours meter that I currently do not have. In addition, I have read that because the old panel has the Ammeter in it, there are issues with charging the batteries due to losses because of the long electrical run.

If anyone has experience with replacing this panel, I would appreciate your feedback on how well the replacement went and any pitfalls I should look out for.

Warm regards,

Vincent Gerretz

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I also have the 5411 diesel & older panel in my C 30. You will need to replace the wiring harness with the new type from Seaward in order to change the Ammeter to the voltmeter. But remember you will also need new wiring to run to the engine for the tachometer to function, & you will also need to install a fuel float type meter in the fuel tank for the gauge to register at the panel, as your boat probably has the fuel gauge mounted directly to the top of the tank. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Oct 18, 2013
Catalina 27 Vernon, BC (Okanagan Lake)
Vince, I am about to tackle the same job on my Catalina 27 but for a different reason; I have a dodgy fuel gauge. I have the new genuine Cataina Yachts (not Catalina Direct) panel assembly as I think you do. I also got the new harness and the housing that the panel sits in. My boat just has a flange to hold the panel, no proper cover. I will post as I do the job over the next few weeks and we can compare notes.

Apr 20, 2012
JRowan - I do not have a gauge on my tank but on the panel. Just recently replaced the old float sending unit with a CD reed switch float unit. Very easy to install and hook up was easy. Finally had a working fuel gauge which gave me peace of mind.

Trevor1955 - I am looking to replace the panel over the winter. I do not want to impact the remaining sailing time I have. I usually pull the boat out the first week of November. After that, I start working on my winter projects for the boat. This year is the engine panel, refinish exterior Teak, add Wind Vane to mast, fix deck lights and install instrument pod for my new chart plotter.

Will update the work here and add pics where I can.

Happy and safe boating.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I ended up replacing each gauge as they failed. Also the starter switch and low oil pressure buzzer.
Also, you don't need to replace the whole wiring harness to remove the ammeter circuit. Just remove the orange line from the alternator. Connect the alternator output directly to the battery or starter.
Use the red wire running from the starter to the old ammeter to "liven" up the panel and as the "+" side of the new voltmeter.

Apr 20, 2012
Weinie - Thanks for the info. The gauges were from the original engine panel or from a new engine panel? The wiring harness may be replaced. I will decide once I inspect it.

Earlier this year, I rewired the DC circuit of the boat. I replace the fused distribution panel with a circuit breaker distribution panel. When I inspected the wire runs, there were too many butt splices and other novice wiring mistakes that I re-did it all. It actually helped in fixing some of my issues with the Nav, Steaming and Cabin lights.

My biggest concern is how to wire the Tachometer to the engine. I have seen posts that it gets connected to the Alternator. I do not see how that will work yet. Any insight?

Apr 20, 2012
Weinie - Heard about the explosion and fire at the Marina there in Port Washington. Sorry to hear about the fatality and injuries. Hope you were not impacted.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Nah, different marina. And I live on the South shore anyway...but thanks for your concern.
We've had a lot of fireworks here lately though.
Some guy decided to off himself a few weeks ago by filling his house full of propane cylinders and lighting a match.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Weinie - Thanks for the info. The gauges were from the original engine panel or from a new engine panel? The wiring harness may be replaced. I will decide once I inspect it.

Earlier this year, I rewired the DC circuit of the boat. I replace the fused distribution panel with a circuit breaker distribution panel. When I inspected the wire runs, there were too many butt splices and other novice wiring mistakes that I re-did it all. It actually helped in fixing some of my issues with the Nav, Steaming and Cabin lights.

My biggest concern is how to wire the Tachometer to the engine. I have seen posts that it gets connected to the Alternator. I do not see how that will work yet. Any insight?
The gauges I used were new from catalina direct.
Here's the wiring diagram for the system.

Apr 20, 2012
Weinie - thanks for the wiring diagram. I have the 5411 manual which has the original wiring diagram. Getting everything in order so when I pull the boat for storage in November, I will start with this project.

Stu - thanks for the links. I am all about getting as much info as I can. Have gotten many of the owner and maintenance manuals for just about everything on my boat. Always good to look at for reference.