Upgrades/modifications

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
What is your favorite modification or upgrade you have made to your old Daysailer? I recently rigged a boom vang using a Laser block w/ key from APS. I Velcroed some flat pool noodles to the seats to help avoid sore backs and butts. I swapped the lower mainsheet block for one that has an adjustable cam cleat and a locking swivel. Next time on the water we'll see what really makes a difference to handling & enjoyability!

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
Awesome, Brian! My boat came with a tiller lock that had a screw knob and it was next to useless.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
On the old Mac 26S, the wife would say bimini and/or CDI furler, but mine was the IdaSailor HDPE foil rudder with auto-release downhaul.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
Just set up my jib furling fairleads and pulpit block as a roller furler downhaul when I single handed step the mast of my O'day 19 MK-II.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Awesome, Brian! My boat came with a tiller lock that had a screw knob and it was next to useless.
Ahhh, the Davis Tiller Tamer. One of those came on my Harpoon 4.6. It is so much fun reaching under the tiller to spin the knob out to tack. Or forgetting to spin the knob out and tacking and finding your tiller is stuck hard over! Ahhhh, good times!

I went anathema on that Harpoon, and replaced the ugly aluminum box extrusion tiller with a proper mahogany and ash laminated tiller from Ruddercraft. I say "anathema" because Boston Whaler people, either power or sail, seem to be maniacally STOCK PARTS ONLY! Anyway, I put the Tiller Clutch on the new tiller, and I never looked back. All my boats get Tiller Clutches now, except for the Force 5. Sometimes I want something to hold the tiller on that thing, but it's pretty hard to do on little racing boat like that...

Aug 20, 2016
Oday 23 Havre de Grace, MD
My ODay 23: Last year - a CDI Furler.
This year - during last Thursday's race, a micro-burst during a sudden t-storm caused a s'board chainplate failure. A doubler on the bulkhead is the only reason the chainplate didn't erupt out of the decking, resulting in a likely dis-masting. So, my favorite upgrade is to replace the (rotted inside) bulkhead with a new 1/2" Oakoume BS 1088 bulkhead.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
One hot, windless evening, I was motor cruising along at little more than an idle, just taking a cruise around. The heat, humidity, and hum of the motor had lulled me into a half-awake trance, when: CRACK! I practically jumped up and awake, wondering what had just broken on the boat! I quickly realized that the autoreleasing clam cleat for the rudder downhaul had popped. I had no idea that the area I was in was shallow enough to kick up the rudder! I avoid that headland now...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have made a lot of upgrades over the years but the two that are the most useful have been the instalation of a solar panel & charge regulator and the installation of an auto-tiller.
IMG_2132.JPG
2016-03-07 16.03.33.jpg
2016-03-07 19.01.15.jpg
IMG_2417.JPG

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
My 2 upgrades certainly didn't upset the bank , The first a tiller tamer made from a school compass and use my spinnaker pulleys for the rope ends. ,the 2 a much needed topping lift . Repurposed a bracket from navigation equipment the P.O had installed with an eye bolt tied not and used carabiner on other end. Holds boom nicely Been in 20 mph winds no problem.

Attachments

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
a much needed topping lift . Repurposed a bracket from navigation equipment the P.O had installed with an eye bolt tied not and used carabiner on other end. Holds boom nicely Been in 20 mph winds no problem.
Clever! I read somewhere that you should release the topping lift when sailing. I have sailed with the topping lift attached and didn't notice any difference though. Here is a photo of my TillerClutch that arrived today.

Attachments

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
No pics, but I have a 150% genoa with no tracks, just a snap shackle and block on the perforated toe rail. A pain to adjust. So . . . a small block about 5' from the bow and anotheer about 1 foot ahead of the winches. I looped a length of 3/16" StaSet though both, sending one end thru the snap shackle and tying both ends to the same. Sort of looks like holding a belt in the middle with a loop on each side. Now, while sitting in the cockpit, if you pull one line, the block will travel fore or aft, thereby changing the jibsheet block location. If you flip the block around the line three times it locks itself in place when loaded. It's like a modified Barber Hauler.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
No pics, but I have a 150% genoa with no tracks, just a snap shackle and block on the perforated toe rail. A pain to adjust. So . . . a small block about 5' from the bow and anotheer about 1 foot ahead of the winches. I looped a length of 3/16" StaSet though both, sending one end thru the snap shackle and tying both ends to the same. Sort of looks like holding a belt in the middle with a loop on each side. Now, while sitting in the cockpit, if you pull one line, the block will travel fore or aft, thereby changing the jibsheet block location. If you flip the block around the line three times it locks itself in place when loaded. It's like a modified Barber Hauler.
I'd love to see some pics of that when you are next at the boat.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Clever! I read somewhere that you should release the topping lift when sailing. I have sailed with the topping lift attached and didn't notice any difference though. Here is a photo of my TillerClutch that arrived today.
An adjustable topping lift will allow you to shape (with sails that actually CAN be shaped) the amount of twist in the main sail. In light wind, you need generally more twist, as revealed by leech telltales, to capture max drive at the top of the sail. The problem is that the weight of the boom often pull too much leach tension and thus removes twist. Conversely, in higher winds, you need less twist to keep the whole sail optimally trimmed, so if the topping lift keeps the boom too high, the top of the sail will be undertrimmed and possibly flapping. In higher yet winds, you can depower to an extent by allowing the top of the main to twist off more, thus providing less drive high up the mast, and less heeling.