updating a pearson 303

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
pearson 303 portland
I purchased a Pearson 303 last fall for a great price and wanting to do some updating to it and was wondering other pearson owners have done. As of now the boat is riigged up with radar, GPS, autopilot, all lines tending to the helm for single hand sailing.

It has a Natural Gas stove which is nice but hard to find places to filll the gas. Its much safer than propane. I might want to switch it out for the ease of conveiance

It has a wood/charcoal heat on the bulkhead. What should it be swichted to? I don't like the idea of a wood stove/heat in the cabin.

The GPS/Radar display is mounted on the grab rail in front on the helm. Terrible place to put it. Ideas of a new location.

I hope to do a lot of work to it this spring when I get home from oversea. Thanks in advance for all your help.

capt. terence

Oct 17, 2007
- - Washington, DC
Congrats on the boat! We've had a P303 for the past seven years and loved every minute of it. Over that time, we've done a ton of upgrades/refits, so feel free to pm us with specific questions. As for your specific items, we don't have a stove or heater, so can't help there. Our GPS is mounted with a quick removable RAM mount to the pedestal guard and it works very well for us. The quick release allows us to store it secured inside the boat. Cables run inside the guard rail.

Dec 27, 2012
Pearson 30 Prince Rupert
I also have a Pearson (1976 Pearson 30) that we are fixing up. I am looking for a solid wood heater, if you are no longer wanting yours. Right now our boat has no auxillary heat--not adequate for northern BC. We are busy day dreaming about a summer of sailing.

Dec 24, 2012
pearson 303 portland
thanks for the info on your mounting bracket SVCarolena. Ursa Minor- Once I figure out the new heater I will keep you in mind. It won't be for a while because currantly i am on the other side of the world from the boat. Once May comes around I'll shoot you a message.

Oct 31, 2010
Pearson 303 Chicago
I have an '83 P303 with Raymarine chart plotter, radar, GPS mounted on a hinged bracket just inside the starboard side of the companionway by prior owner. Easy to swing into view from the wheel depending on how good your vision is and brightness of the day. Not sure of the best spot, but this is generally ok, though makes the stair climb more challenging.

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
Welcome to the 303's

I purchased a Pearson 303 last fall for a great price and wanting to do some updating to it and was wondering other pearson owners have done. As of now the boat is riigged up with radar, GPS, autopilot, all lines tending to the helm for single hand sailing.

It has a Natural Gas stove which is nice but hard to find places to filll the gas. Its much safer than propane. I might want to switch it out for the ease of conveiance

It has a wood/charcoal heat on the bulkhead. What should it be swichted to? I don't like the idea of a wood stove/heat in the cabin.

The GPS/Radar display is mounted on the grab rail in front on the helm. Terrible place to put it. Ideas of a new location.

I hope to do a lot of work to it this spring when I get home from oversea. Thanks in advance for all your help.

capt. terence

Capt. Rob Here, We too have 1986 303 and we are out of Rockport, Me.
As far as heating that is a twofold question here. I would recommend the best they offer EVO from Webasto the on demand heating system "That's Coo"l. But that's me. For one thing is very small and burns about 8 oz. of Diesel, per 16 to 24 hrs. However; what else do you need? Hot water it does that too. But really need to know some more information on your current boat.. Whats in it now?

PS.. do you face book?? PM me. Thanks

Best Wishes, Capt. Rob

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Re: Welcome to the 303's

Congrats on your purchase. I've had mine for about 5 years. I have an alcohol stove w/2 burners. Garmin chartplotter w/radar is mounted above the compass on an Edson shelf with the Garmin bracket... so it is removable. I would like heat/ac, but can't justify the expense. Pay close attention to how your stanchions are mounted... get that rubber gasket out and rebed... Mainesail has a great how-to link!

Fair winds,
Rich

Jun 3, 2011
Welcome all P-303 / 30 Vessels and Capts.

Congrats on your purchase. I've had mine for about 5 years. I have an alcohol stove w/2 burners. Garmin chartplotter w/radar is mounted above the compass on an Edson shelf with the Garmin bracket... so it is removable. I would like heat/ac, but can't justify the expense. Pay close attention to how your stanchions are mounted... get that rubber gasket out and rebed... Mainesail has a great how-to link!

Fair winds,
Rich
Rich! Just the head room was enogh for me to buy it...LOL Sailed from Va. to Lewis, De already and its a very sound boat.

www.1985Pearson303.blogspot.com

Take a Look-see! Thanks Capt. Rob

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2005
Re: Welcome all P-303 / 30 Vessels and Capts.

Star Gazer... yes it is a sound vessel... however a coastal cruiser. That boat has a lot of windage... must be a bear with all the cockpit canvas up. Very nice. She looks to be in great shape.

Jun 3, 2011
303 very sound indeed!!

Star Gazer... yes it is a sound vessel... however a coastal cruiser. That boat has a lot of windage... must be a bear with all the cockpit canvas up. Very nice. She looks to be in great shape.
Rich Thanks for the info there. I was quite surprised to find the vessel even with the Canvas cover performed quite good. However, my wife and I just sailed it the 3 days before Sandy hit. we were about 100 miles out with 21ft sea's and 48-56 knot winds and didn't see much of a problem with its performance. The Bounty was heading south and we were heading north the same day. We decided overnight to pull out in Ocean City to let the storm pass..LOL The boat right now is still down there. Yes that was quite the trip. The canvas is what really saved the trip from the weather. IT was worth every penny..I'd say!:)

To date: I have been lately doing, allot of research on the 303 and would be happy to share my findings with other P 303's if you like. Really dont know what the best way is though.

Any, suggestions welcome!! Capt. Rob

Jun 1, 2005
Re: 303 very sound indeed!!

Haven't been on for a while... spare time skiing. OMG... your a wild man. I wouldn't think of putting myself in that position with that vessel! I would say keep the rags down... and sail with the sunbrella skipper.

Sep 16, 2012
Pearson 303 Midland
Bimini

Hi Capt Rob !
I would like to build a bimini and a dodger for my Pearson 303 . Yours seam to be the best that I saw .Please ,can you send me more pictures with them .
best regards
romiplaiasu@yahoo.com

Jun 1, 2005
Hi Capt Rob !
I would like to build a bimini and a dodger for my Pearson 303 . Yours seam to be the best that I saw .Please ,can you send me more pictures with them .
best regards
romiplaiasu@yahoo.com
Bet it at least a 6K project to have one built. I just spent $2,500 on a dodger... and I had the frame.

Good luck.

Jun 3, 2011
P303 cover $8,600.00 to be on the money...LOL BUT!

Bet it at least a 6K project to have one built. I just spent $2,500 on a dodger... and I had the frame.

Good luck.
-- Hey, you cant take it with you..so.. BUY IT NOW!!..LOL Really it's a good investment for the 303's. I haven't had the screens yet but will do soon. I went to the garden shop and purchased a netting to go over the hole back end. It's for an umbrella but large enough for the cockpit cover. Regards, Capt. Rob

PS NEW WEB... http://www.1985pearson303.blogspot.com/

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
The mast foot on the 303 sits in the bottom of the bilge were it corrodes because of the bilge water. On our 1985 303 we had 2" of the mast cut from the foot and had an epoxy block made with through holes for the mast shoe. The mast is out of the bilge water most of the time. If you pull the mast check the foot for corrosion.
One upgrade we did was to install opening ports in the salon. Now we have great ventiliation in the salon.
We installed a Dutchman system two years ago and that works pretty good.
Good luck with your new boat!

Jun 3, 2011
The mast foot on the 303 sits in the bottom of the bilge were it corrodes because of the bilge water. On our 1985 303 we had 2" of the mast cut from the foot and had an epoxy block made with through holes for the mast shoe. The mast is out of the bilge water most of the time. If you pull the mast check the foot for corrosion.
One upgrade we did was to install opening ports in the salon. Now we have great ventiliation in the salon.
We installed a Dutchman system two years ago and that works pretty good.
Good luck with your new boat!
Yes your right right GarEi! That was a bad design. Luckily, the owner had them design it differently. and has not been a problem for me. Here is some pics for you all. Thanks StarGazer II Capt. Rob

NOTE!!!!!!! The 2 bad pics where from another 303 out of NY we looked at called "Rascal 111" After a review with the Surveyor we ran away from it.. literally!

Attachments

Jun 1, 2005
Yes... that was a bad design. Luckily my spar was not effected... however I had a new mast step fabricated out of aluminum as it had deteriorated badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.