Unknown part found on H34

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Interesting part, Mike! I don't recall seeing a thing like that in all my 28 years of poking around on my 34.. In all the lusting after "sailboat jewelry" in the catalogs, I don't recall seeing something like that.. Will be interesting to hear what it is from one of the members !

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
It is the pulley set with rubber "wheels" that allow it to move up and down the base cylinder of a CDI furler with the down pull line. The furler has a cable halyard that runs up and down in the double track, when the head sail is hoisted then the luff is tightened by pulling a line that runs through these rollers and another set fixed to the bottom giving a mechanical advantage. You have probably changed the furler which I guess was OE on the early 34s

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I actually have the original CDI furler, but that part is not in their directions. I do have a downhaul block that tightens the luff and attaches to a pin in the furling drum. Is this an alternative?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
It is the pulley set with rubber "wheels" that allow it to move up and down the base cylinder of a CDI furler with the down pull line. The furler has a cable halyard that runs up and down in the double track, when the head sail is hoisted then the luff is tightened by pulling a line that runs through these rollers and another set fixed to the bottom giving a mechanical advantage. You have probably changed the furler which I guess was OE on the early 34s
Richard is correct. I still use mine on the original CDI reefer II . I don't have a picture of it but it rolls along the base cylinder to tighten the luff. There is a small cleat to tie it off.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Mike,
I found my original data sheet for my CDI furler (attached). It still doesn't show that part. But you can see the two sheaves on the drum and the cleat in the picture. That pin on the part you have goes through the tack of your jib. Then the line goes down to the first sheave on the drum, back up through the first sheave on the part, and so on. You get a 4 to 1 mechanical advantage to tighten the luff, then cleat it. The entire thing just spins around.

Depending on which model you have, you may have the foil with the internal wire halyard or like mine, a locking mechanism at the top. It requires that unlocking tool to raise and lower the sail from a locked position.

I did replace the original plastic drum with a CDI metal drum with ball bearings. It has worked fine for us for 34 years.

Allan

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I actually have the original CDI furler, but that part is not in their directions. I do have a downhaul block that tightens the luff and attaches to a pin in the furling drum. Is this an alternative?
May be a part that is standard on an older model of the CDI. It is what I have om mine and I think it is probably original- 1983

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
May be a part that is standard on an older model of the CDI. It is what I have om mine and I think it is probably original- 1983
Richard, you win the prize! CDI says...

We believe that is possibly the downhaul attached to the tack tension/downhaul line of the Reefer II furler from CDI from the early 80’s which have since been discontinued. It looks slightly different though so we’re not 100% certain. But either way, you would use this to tension the tack of your sail with the sheaves that are built into the spool of your Reefer II.

I believe the purpose of this is to reduce the effort needed to tension your sail, so it’s not a necessary part but could be beneficial to use.