Universal diesel M18 v belt replacement

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
t looks like they changed the number on the belt it’s now Kubota B4200… see photo.
BTC1984: Before you order this belt, if you haven't already, you might want to see if you can find the numbers on your existing belt that indicate the length of the belt. This could vary from the length of the belt on the stock B4200 tractor. While the M18 engine is a Kubota Z600, which appears to be what was used on the B4200 tractor, the alternator setup on your engine may be different than was on that tractor. And in any case, in the ensuing 30 plus years since the Z600 was made your setup might have had modifications. For instance, the Z600 in my boat uses a 990 mm (39") length belt vs what I think is the 789 mm belt you posted. The one you posted may be correct for your setup but you might want to check that. If there are no numbers on your belt you can get at least a rough idea of the length by wrapping a string around the existing belt and then measuring that.

Sorry if what I said about the M18 being a Z600 might have misled you about the belt length. For actual engine parts such oil and fuel filters, injection pumps, gaskets, coolant pump, injectors, cylinder heads, glow plugs etc. you can use Kubota specs. For things that are extraneous to the engine, like the alternator, or not on the stock tractor engine, like a raw water pump, you have to look away from Kubota.

• Helpful
May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
Still trying to figure out which belt I need. The current belt has these markings. Super HC 3V x 400. Also 310, B10 and 1040. There doesn't seem to be a single number that I can google to find the exact belt. I'm pretty sure it's a gates. Should I continue to spend time trying to identify the brand/model of the current belt or just start from scratch and do the measurements of the current belt and get a replacement based on my measurements.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Still trying to figure out which belt I need. The current belt has these markings. Super HC 3V x 400. Also 310, B10 and 1040. There doesn't seem to be a single number that I can google to find the exact belt. I'm pretty sure it's a gates. Should I continue to spend time trying to identify the brand/model of the current belt or just start from scratch and do the measurements of the current belt and get a replacement based on my measurements.
Take the old belt to your local Gates supplier. They will have a v-belt measuring tool and I am sure will sell you the correct belt.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: with @Hello Below .
If you desire help with this post some pictures here of your alternator and belt so we see what you are seeing.

It is a task you should know how to address. A very low risk task. With the belt in hand it is easy for the counter person to get you a match.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
It looks like this is what you have.

Part #Product #DescriptionTop Width(in)Top Width(mm)Effective Length (in)Effective Length (mm)NotchedAngleOutside Circumference (in)Outside Circumference (mm)Section
3VX400941204003VX400 SUPER HC V BELT0.3781040.1871021true4440.6310323VX

That doesn't mean you need to go with Gates. Just something of that size. And the top width could probably be 11mm/.44". That's what I use and it fits well on the crank and coolant pump pulleys.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take the old belt to a NAPA. They will match the belt. Gates makes NAPA belts.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Take the old belt to a NAPA. They will match the belt. Gates makes NAPA belts.
I don't think it is that simple.

It is quite possible (probable) that the old belt is not the correct width. The stock belt width for a Z600 is, I believe, 11.18mm /.44" (like the one he posted) compared to the 10mm belt he has.

If the 10mm width belt he has fits lengthwise the 11mm width belt he probably should have may need to be a bit longer.

If it was me, and I've been through this, I might buy an 11mm width belt in the length he has and another 11mm one the next length up and take back the one that doesn't fit.

Using the 10mm belt he has may be helping to add to all the belt dust shown in his video from his other post.

Not trying to be confusing here. Just trying to point out some variables.

Jan 11, 2014
Sticking with imperial sizes, putting a ⅜" belt on a ½" pulley is problematic. It is hard for me to imagine how an 11.18mm belt would not work on a ½" pulley or vice versa, there is only a 6/100" difference

If the belt is too deep in the pulley, then measure the pulley and ask the NAPA guy for a belt in that width and match the length. If it doesn't fit, then take it back and get a shorter one, or buy 2 different sizes and return the one that didn't fit.

May 7, 2023
I know I created two posts for the same topic. I Didn’t know what I was doing. Won’t happen again. Here is a video and some photos of my engine and belt. To install the new belt I assume I loosen bolts 1 and 2. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Amazing !

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
YEs 1 & 2. Perhaps 4 as well. Mark (I like to use a white marking pen - something like this)
1689865436122.png

the location and angles of the metal/bolts. This will give you a point to return to or at least where it was prior to the changes.. A new belt may be stiffer and not want to stretch until being run. Expect to adjust the belt after 2-5 hours run time.

Jan 11, 2014
I know I created two posts for the same topic. I Didn’t know what I was doing. Won’t happen again. Here is a video and some photos of my engine and belt. To install the new belt I assume I loosen bolts 1 and 2. Thanks to everyone for all the help. Amazing !
That looks like a ⅜" belt in a ½" pulley on the alternator and it is way too loose. That is causing all the belt dust.

The alternator mount is unusual. Bolt 1 will need to be loosened and probably 4. The other 2 may be, loosen 1 and 4 first to see if you can move the alternator. If not, then loosen bolt 2.

Measure the pulleys to make certain they are all the same width. The belt looks like it is seated properly on the flywheel and water pump but too deep on the alternator. That may not be the original alternator. If the alternator pulley is wider than the other two, then the alternator pulley will need to be replaced. Any alternator shop can do that. You can too if you have an impact driver and torque sockets.

May 7, 2023
I took the belt to the Napa store and he matched it with a gates 7395 XL. I only loosened bolts one and two. It was tight getting the belt on but it worked without having to loosen the other bolts. The belt jack was critical, no way I would do this without using that tool. Got it on Amazon for $23. Brand is Supco. Ran the engine out on the lake and everything seems to work. Thanks for all the help. On to an oil change.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Nice job. Write that up in your boat log so that you can remind your self of the experience and the things that were important to the successful evolution.

May 7, 2023
Got my Krikit gauge today..What is the proper tension for the vbelt on my Universal M18?