Universal diesel M18 v belt replacement

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
I need to replace this belt because it’s loose and it’s squealing at higher RPM. I was planning to hire a mechanic to do the work because I have some others items on my list for him to check. Unfortunately it’s going to be few weeks before he can do the work and I want to use my boat. Do you think I can handle the v belt replacement ? I’m handy and skilled but I hate guessing and I can’t find a good video on how to change the belt. Is the belt change intuitive and straight forward ? I have the original alternator mount which I’m going to change….but for now I just want to get a new belt on so I can use my boat. Thoughts ?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t know the M18 specifically but I’d recommend doing the belt replacement yourself. Replacing a belt is not generally that involved, and doing it once at the dock is a great way to make sure you’re ready if you ever need to do it on the water where a mechanic can’t reach you.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is a pretty simple job. It involves 2 bolts. The challenging part is keeping the tension on the belt while tightening the belt.

1. Loosen the adjusting bolt at the top of the alternator.
  2. Loosen the pivot bolt at the bottom of the alternator.
  3. Remove the old belt, the alternator may need to be slid to the left a bit to get it slip off.
  4. Install the new belt.
  5. Slide the alternator to the right to get to the proper tension.
  6. Tighten the adjusting bolt.
  7. Tighten the pivot bolt.
  8. Go Sailing.
To make tensioning easier, for a couple of dollars you can make a tensioner or belt jack. It is a piece of ⅜" all thread, a couple of washers and nuts and a couple of wooden blocks, hard wood like oak works best.

1689694068687.png

Some useful information on V-belts:

Scroll down on this article to see a discussion about belts, tensioning, and alternators.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
+1 on dlochner's post.

The belt jack he suggests will make it a lot easier than trying to tension the belt with a prybar.

The krikit guage shown at the bottom of his second attachment is useful to take some of the guesswork out of setting the tension. Since you "hate guessing" you might get it. You would want the one that goes from 30-160 pounds.

If you don't know, for reference, your Universal M18 is a maranized Kubota Z-600 tractor engine. Most parts don't need to be "Universal Diesel".

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It might stop squealing if you tension it; maybe it has become loose.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
It might stop squealing if you tension it; maybe it has become loose.
It's definitely way loose based on the OP's prior post and there is excessive belt dust.

Tightening could work to get the boat out but I would have a new, properly sized, belt on hand and change it out soon. Better to not have it fail on the water.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Where did he say anything about belt dust?
If the belt's loose, you can "feel" the belt dust on everything. It's one of those things best left unsaid.

@BTC1984 , if you do replace the V-belt, only go for a top quality belt such as Gates or an equal. If it's an original belt (of unknown age) engine manufacturers often use the cheapest belts available. My brand new Yanmar wouldn't stop shedding dust until I got new belts in the third year, regardless of the applied tension.

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
I think I figured out how to post to the thread. I hope this works. First I am in complete awe of the help that people offer on this site. It’s inspiring and reminds me of all the good in the world. There are a lot of incredible people in the world we just hear too much news about all the bad things. I posted a video of my loose belt on a separate post…that’s where the belt dust comment comes from. It looks like they changed the number on the belt it’s now Kubota B4200… see photo. After I install the belt should I post the results on how it went ? In case you are curious. Once again I really appreciate all the help…you guys ROCK !

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
A gentle reminder to keep our beloved forum admin happy, let's keep it civil and avoid nit picking arguments, no one wins those.

And, for @BTC1984 I have it on good authority the powers to be on this forum prefer to avoid having essentially duplicate threads. As a new member of the forum, I'm certain he'll cut you some slack on this. The question you posted here would have been more appropriately added to the earlier thread you started about your V-belt woes. :):beer:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think I figured out how to post to the thread. I hope this works. First I am in complete awe of the help that people offer on this site. It’s inspiring and reminds me of all the good in the world. There are a lot of incredible people in the world we just hear too much news about all the bad things. I posted a video of my loose belt on a separate post…that’s where the belt dust comment comes from. It looks like they changed the number on the belt it’s now Kubota B4200… see photo. After I install the belt should I post the results on how it went ? In case you are curious. Once again I really appreciate all the help…you guys ROCK !
NAPA belts are good, made by Gates and other reputable manufacturers, just as with their oil filters. If you are getting dust from a properly tensioned, good quality belt, you probably have a pulley alignment problem. For tension, I bought a Gates Krikit tension gauge.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@dlochner is your V-belt a notched Kubota brand and are you seeing any problems with dust or cracking at low operating hours. I'm not keen on V-belts which are rebranded by the engine mfg. when you can often buy a better quality (almost guaranteed) at a lower price.

Jan 11, 2014
@dlochner is your V-belt a notched Kubota brand and are you seeing any problems with dust or cracking at low operating hours. I'm not keen on V-belts which are rebranded by the engine mfg. when you can often buy a better quality (almost guaranteed) at a lower price.
Nope, it's a J10, now. ;)

The old belt was a Gates.