Universal diesel Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rocky Hutchinson

I am looking at buying a 1989 Cat 27 with a Universal diesel engine. It seems to run OK at my first inspection. The current owner says he does not think any work has been done to the engine except regular maintenance. Does anyone have any knowledge about the history of these engines? Does any one have a good things to say about them? Also, are there any known problems where the shaft goes through the hull?

P

patrick e. boole

kabota universal diesel

i have the universal diesel in my 27 and it is the same model that is ion my kabota tractor. the difference is that i use the kabota constantly and the boat seldom. the motor is great. never a problem with the tractor in 7 years. service is seldom and i have to say my use of it is almost abusive. the sailboat kabota is fabulous to and if maintained with frequent use you should have no problems. use mean to run it and if in dock, to put it in gear and run it. it needs a load to lubricat the pump. would not hesitate to buy another. oh my 30 has a universal too. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IMPORTANT

D

Dave Ullrich

Good engine, but a few warnings

My 1981 Cat 30 has the Universal 54-11 engine (11hp). It has been a great lIttle engine. A few things to be aware of: Rust, the raw water cooled edgines may rust out thier oil pans. Motor mounts: may go bad, this will throw the engine out of allignment causing the strut baring to go. Exhaust system: Pipe from manifold to muffler may rust through, this can allow water to enter the engine (very bad).

G

Gordon S.

Tough Engine

My 88 C27 has this engine with about 500 hrs when I bought it last year. Surveyor pronounced it like new and predicted several thousand hours of service. It has been very reliable, pushes the boat at hull speed, uses almost no fuel. The stuffing box needs a look just to see if the nut needs an adjustment but there have been no problems. I renewed the hose clamps on the gland hose. My only negative comment is that diesel soot will build on the transom due to the aerodynamics of the transom and this needs to be cleaned off the glass periodically. You also must read the continuing discussions of outboard versus inboard, gas vs. diesel, etc. If I had a choice I would prefer an equivalent gas inboard. Why? Because most diesels stink of fuel and I have never been on a diesel boat where I could not smell it instantly in the cabin. I don't know why and I can't find any obvious leaks in my systems.. Gas engines, by absolute necessity, must have vapor tight systems. If you smell gas at all, you have an emergency situation. Also, a four cylinder gas engine like an Atomic Four, is going to be smoother in operation than a two cylinder diesel. But gas engine ignition systems can be unreliable when the wires are wet. Pros and Cons Eyy? Sooo ... If the engine starts when you need it most and can push the boat at a decent speed in rough seas and weather, what more can you ask?? Good Luck. It's a reliable engine and a fun boat.

S

Steve W

Universal M-18

I have the 14 HP freshwater cooled twin cylinder Universal diesel and it runs great. It has about 1000 hours since 1986, has motored non stop for 83 hours back from the Bahamas ans has never stranded me or the previous owner. Uses no oil, almost no fuel, reach hull speed with no problem and never any soot on the stern. Like any diesel, clean, filtered fule is the most important factor and keeping the oil and filters changed. My two gripes are small: it is a little noisy, but most this size are and it can run a little hot on a 95 degree day at upper cruise rpms. I just slow it down a little and all is well. Good Luck.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

I've never heard anything bad

I'm not an engine buff (I have an outboard) but I've heard nothing but good about Universals. They run forever - someone even told me that 1000 hours on a diesel means it's just broken in! Have fun & take good care of her. LaDonna

G

Gordon S.

Steve W. on M18

Steve , You motored 83 hours and no soot. I get a slight coat of soot after a busy weekend. Maybe my boat is not propped correctly, loading the engine too much. My max RPM is about 2650-2700. Care to comment? Gordon S.

R

Robert Fischer

Universal M18

My 1985 M18 runs great, but I also have the problem mentioned by other respondents, soot on my transom. It becomes noticeable after about 3 hours of motoring. I rarely motor more than 30 minutes at a time and I know this is not good for the motor, I figured it never really gets to operating temperature which may be causing the soot. Also I read a dirty air filter can cause soot. I'll investigate that in the spring

C

Charlie

General

Rocky, I believe that you can't go wrong with a Universal engine but they do need some TLC. I noted in some of the replies that a few sailors were experiencing black smoke on the transom after running a few hours. If the engine is more then a few years old, there are several things that will affect the operation and cause BLACK SMOKE, not to be confused with Gray or Blue Smoke. If you are seeing a lot of black smoke then first I would make sure that you are using fresh fuel and that it was a good grade. Secondly, combustion in a diesel engine accures because the fuel is mixed with lots of air, heated and compressed until it explodes, Heating is done with the glow plugs and compression by the piston. If there is a high back pressure in the exhaust or insufficient air then the fuel will not be fully burned and the result will be black smoke. Also if the valves are misadjusted or the fuel system is improperly timed, poor compression will result in unburned fuel and black smoke. Other then these, overloading the engine and the wrong sizepitch propeller can cause black smoke. Start at the point of least money output: Fuel, Exhaust, Air Intake and then engine. Salt water can do a real number on your cooling system,heat exchanger. so much salt that you could not get your finger into the pipe. Good luck to all owners of the inboard iron sail. There great when you need them so take care. Charlie

R

Rocky

Thank you all for your comments

Thank you all for your comments. These have been very helpful, to many people. The boat I was looking at buying, was bought for the asking amount and not inspected. I bought a 25' instead. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.