Universal 25xp. No start.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Absolutely beautiful demonstration of exactly what's going on with your engine :clap: .

1. Is the one sound we hear in the background that of a high pitched electric fuel pump or other electrical device ? Maybe an exhaust fan ?

2. What is this device ?

1694879017113.png

3. I don't want to discuss my third guess until I hear back.

Jan 4, 2006
I've only listened to you audio about 100 times so far.

Can you VERY CAREFULLY rotate your engine (in the forward direction) by hand about one full revolution and then try to start it again ? Report back.

The reason I say very carefully is that there is always the danger of the engine starting up even when turning by hand. A very low possibility if the engine is cold, but it's still there. Don't use glow plugs if your have them. If there are unloaders on the engine, unload the engine before doing this.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Stuck or bad inertial engagement mechanism. Motor sounds fine but the “Bendix” isn’t engaging .Sometimes alight rap on the starter motor will get it to go, but probably best to pull the starter and fix it.

Jul 25, 2023
Catalina MKII Greenwich
Absolutely beautiful demonstration of exactly what's going on with your engine :clap: .

1. Is the one sound we hear in the background that of a high pitched electric fuel pump or other electrical device ? Maybe an exhaust fan ?

2. What is this device ?

View attachment 219945

3. I don't want to discuss my third guess until I hear back.
Thanks. Yes that is fuel pump making noise. Usually clicks like that.
This picture is the water filter. No issues there.
I’ll try pulling starter. I wacked it a couple times while starting to no avail

Jul 25, 2023
Catalina MKII Greenwich
Stuck or bad inertial engagement mechanism. Motor sounds fine but the “Bendix” isn’t engaging .Sometimes alight rap on the starter motor will get it to go, but probably best to pull the starter and fix it.
That is my guess. T

Jul 25, 2023
Catalina MKII Greenwich
I've only listened to you audio about 100 times so far.

Can you VERY CAREFULLY rotate your engine (in the forward direction) by hand about one full revolution and then try to start it again ? Report back.

The reason I say very carefully is that there is always the danger of the engine starting up even when turning by hand. A very low possibility if the engine is cold, but it's still there. Don't use glow plugs if your have them. If there are unloaders on the engine, unload the engine before doing this.
CN I ask. How can I rotate the engine? Pipe wrench the pulley in the front?

Jan 4, 2006
1694883813118.png

Yeah, that was my third guess I didn't want to think about. Just wanted to make sure we'd covered all of the simple, cheap stuff associated with starter relay problems like electrical issues.

CN I ask. How can I rotate the engine? Pipe wrench the pulley in the front?
You can grip the engine pulley with both hands and keep a continuous force on it. Air will leak past the piston rings and it will slowly turn. Wear heavy gloves.

1694884482036.png

Maybe you can find you engine manual in the "downloads" section on this site. They've managed to accumulate just about everything. I know in my Yanmar manual the instructions for removing the starter pretty much read "remove the starter" but you may find something a little more helpful in yours.

Let us know what you find.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Stuck or bad inertial engagement mechanism. Motor sounds fine but the “Bendix” isn’t engaging.
I didn't have an M25-XP, I had an M25. On mine, the starter did not have an inertial engagement mechanism, a.k.a., Bendix. The solenoid attached to the starter also actuated a lever that pushed the starter pinion out, and retracted it when the solenoid was no longer energized.

starter_operation.gif

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Maybe you can find you engine manual in the "downloads" section on this site.
Don't bother, here they are;

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :) This includes a link to the Critical Upgrades topic which has more engine information please read it too.

Diesel Engine - c34.org

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Think this the problem? Thanks all for the insight! Well, this wknd shot. Next week we’ll be up and running.
Yikes! There must be salt water leaking in there, no?

Don't throw away that starter! I know it looks bad, but I bet it can be cleaned up and made serviceable. Or, at least it's a good core.

Original starters are much better than the Chinese aftermarket ones, bu the way, so keep it and if you're not handy, try to find a rebuilder.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
Anyone recognize this sound from starter? Was running fine 2 weeks ago.
The starter solenoid is not engaging the motor, the motor is spinning but pinion has not been pushed out to contact the flywheel, replace the solenoid if it has one, it could be a rusted pinion shaft. try to move the pinion on the shaft, it should be easy movement.

Last edited:

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
The big red + wire from the battery to the starter solonoid. Take a jumper cable and hook it onto the big wire on the starter. If you use a different battery than the battery in the boat you will have to jump the ground as well. This essentially by-passes and eliminated everything in the start circuit. It should spark when you hook up the cable then take off and crank the engine. If not 100% bad starter. If it cranks well then the solonoid is bad internally.

Jul 25, 2023
Catalina MKII Greenwich
Finally got my starter and put it in however, my picture of wiring it is not clear. Does anyone have a photograph of how the battery and the other wires, orange, and red, connect to the starter?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Finally got my starter and put it in however, my picture of wiring it is not clear. Does anyone have a photograph of how the battery and the other wires, orange, and red, connect to the starter?
This will help:
Lots depends on how your boat is wired, too. The link has phtos, but nothing beats a wiring diagram abnd the link I gave your earlier has plenty of resources for just that. YOU must understand why and how it all works together not just copy somebody else's photo.