universal 11HP adequate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Catalina 30 Mexico
5411 in Mexico

We have had our '83 Cat 30 since 1995. It has the 5411 engine. We have plumbed the sink into the raw water line so we can flush the raw water cooled engine after each use (close raw water intake, sink thru hull, open valve to sink). A full sink full flushes the engine. Radiator anticorrosive added to sink lets the engine be unused for 6 months. This has worked for 12 years in Mexico. Great little engine! Uses little diesel fuel, very reliable. As to power, we have sailed/motored all over California, the Channel Islands, and finally down to Mexico where we have sailed/motored all over the Sea of Cortez. The tidal current in La Paz Bay can run 6-7 knots and take 1 1/2 hours to get out with a slack tide, but we plan accordingly and don't try to buck the heavy tidal flow. The boat has never been a problem in open seas or heavy winds encountered off California or down here. We do unroll the jib or use a reefed main for additional power. We prefer to hunker down in a cove, plan passages with attention to weather, and avoid uncomfortable cruises. Additional horsepower in the engine is a consideration as it would be with a car or truck. Turn the key, point in the correct direction, and you are off. But, this is a sailboat and offers challenges some may not wish to deal with. It is an individual thing. The prudent sailor should still be attentive to weather, tides, and their boat's capability whether it is sail or power. In the end, mother nature doesn't care how much power you have.

Dec 23, 2009
Catalina catalina 30 Gulfport, Fl
considering buying a '78 cat 30 with a universal 11HP. in reading some owner reviews one complaint seemed that this wasn't ideal for the boat. comments?
I owned an O'day 28 with a universal 11 hp before I bought my Catalina 30 with a 25 hp universal. The bigger engine is much better. There are times when you have to motor and the 25 hp makes it easier with less strain on the engine. The 11 hp will work but I feel the 25 HP is a better choice.

Jeff

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jeff, if you have an M25XP engine it is 23 HP. Close enough for sailing! The M25 Universal is 21 HP. They've been "fooling" people with that "25" for years! :)

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
yes, with capt ron. looking to buy a cat 30 and one area of consideration are the various engines i'm encountering. from the 5411 to an 18, 23, 25. just trying to weigh engine size into the purchase

May 21, 2006
based on all will look for a boat with something more than the 11HP. looking at one with 18HP which prefer overall to another with 23HP. would the 18HP satisfy any of the issues?? (ie. dan, going through hell gate)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Lot's of great advise and different opinions. I have the M25XP which is rated for 23hp. After reading this and other forums I've come to the conclusion that they all do the job. The pros and cons are fuel consumption verses power against wind, current and waves. I think I'd be more concerned with how well the auxiliary was maintained and not so concerned with how big it was. Besides hp rating there is a difference between how it's propped (a 2 blade or 3 blade prop)

As far as current in your sailing area, I would advise timing your passage. Go through Hell's Gate at slack tide or with the current. I go through Woods Hole all the time and as long as I time it right it's not been an issue. Buy the Eldridge Book on currents.

You're sailing a Cat 25 now. How big is the outboard? Is that adequate?

May 21, 2006
Lot's of great advise and different opinions. I have the M25XP which is rated for 23hp. After reading this and other forums I've come to the conclusion that they all do the job. The pros and cons are fuel consumption verses power against wind, current and waves. I think I'd be more concerned with how well the auxiliary was maintained and not so concerned with how big it was. Besides hp rating there is a difference between how it's propped (a 2 blade or 3 blade prop)

As far as current in your sailing area, I would advise timing your passage. Go through Hell's Gate at slack tide or with the current. I go through Woods Hole all the time and as long as I time it right it's not been an issue. Buy the Eldridge Book on currents.

You're sailing a Cat 25 now. How big is the outboard? Is that adequate?
right.. should always properly plan however it's those somewhat unexpected times when i'd want the confidence of the power. on the 25 have a 9.9HP which is great; had to replace the 8HP that i originally bought my mistake due to long shaft not enough (needs x-long). assuming the 8 would have been good if proper shaft length.

Status
Not open for further replies.