Ugly, Ugly Sailboats

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
As I gaze at the ads for new sailboats in the sailing magazines (Beneteau, etc.), I’m struck by how ugly they are: triangular boxes with sails.
I can understand the desire for greater hull speed and below decks comfort but at what cost? Most of us sailors, I believe, appreciate the aesthetics of sailboats as well as their performance. Where has that gone? (And don’t get me started on ecru saloon finishes.)
well now, when underway the owner cannot see his vessel. so is the beauty from the helm or is it what one perceives some stranger is viewing?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
is there beauty in functionality?
Very much so. They say that some beauty is only skin deep. That definitely applies to more than people.

If a boat can safely get you through a tough situation, or sails "well" (interpret that you will)

She sails beautifully.... She handled that beautifully....

It all depends on if the item works well for it's intended use.

But truly beautiful boats, just like the XKE mentioned above, can be so attractive that people often ignore their faults.

Which makes you wonder.. are they truly beautiful ?
As a song once said: "She ain't pretty she just looks that way"

A truly ugly SAIL boat is one that sails badly AND looks bad. Like a mac 26X.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i good friend owns a water front resort on sturgeon bay with all kinds of watercraft rental. most places a scared of the liablities of doing such. many many options so the tourists can enjoy the bay.
by far the most popular rental is his Mac 26x. the people just love it.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
i good friend owns a water front resort on sturgeon bay with all kinds of watercraft rental. most places a scared of the liablities of doing such. many many options so the tourists can enjoy the bay.
Proving that people are truly crazy to want ugly boats that won't sail or motor.... hey, wait a minute. I have the follow on model of the chlorox bottle of death... I must be crazy, too.:yikes:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
....scary....

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Goes to show that any sailboat is better than no sailboat!
Too true! Give me a galvanized horse trough, a paddle, and an old tarp, and I'll go sailing...

But I actually like both the 26X and 26M. And, I enjoy sailing my boat. I have sailed on a few different boats in my 62 years, and it's not the worst sailing experience I've had by a large margin.

The fact that a lot of folks hate my boat doesn't diminish my enjoyment at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.:beer:

But if I had a chance to buy Whitefin for $24k...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Isn't the 26X the sailing motorboat? The idea newbs are renting those to go sailing sounds like a bad idea. They ought make up their minds. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I think the Maverick 440 catamaran is :yikes:

Now that you post this, there is just as much of a chasm between performance multis and dwelling multis as there are in monohulls.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Isn't the 26X the sailing motorboat? The idea newbs are renting those to go sailing sounds like a bad idea. They ought make up their minds. :)
The 26X, and the later model (that I own), are both "power sailers". A sailboat that can plane under power, or a power boat that can sail; depending on your perspective.

Newbs renting boats, jet skis, etc., is probably never a good thing. At least with a Mac, they have conventional power boat steering and controls to get them home if they can't sail...

I'd pay money to watch them trying to dock one in a breeze, though...
IMG_1639.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'm not one to insult anyone's boat, their kids, or their "significant other". And I'm not a Mac 26 fan but I've seen them sail in fair weather, and they looked OK; and I admit there are times they looked good doing 20 knots when it's hot and humid while my trimaran is becalmed. Motoring my "fast" tri at 7 knots doesn't satisfy. Fast is fun.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks I did know that from the ones we have looked at. In our case we don't need 3 cabins I the boat we buy because this is for our kid free time! Charter a 3cabin just gives the teens there own space for a family vacation.

@JRT some added thoughts about the 440 - there is no starboard cockpit locker, as that space is given over to headroom in the guest cabin. So, there aren't any true cockpit lockers (all that space is guest cabin headroom, closed on starboard but open above to the cockpit seat lid on the port side). There is a small storage "garage" behind the transom that could be used for fenders or a liferaft (not both), but it might not be large enough for a roll-up dinghy. (We used it for snorkel equipment and trash bags on our charter). So that nice large bow locker really is important, but only for things like fenders/light air sails or docklines -- as it's not easily accessed in rough seas.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The 2021 Beneteau First 53 is a beauty. However, I do prefer the cherry and mohagany cabinetry of the older beneteaus.

1611703406973.png