Two questions about roller furling jibs

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
My boat saw 60 knots on the hook the other day when a sudden squall came up. My Bimini took it on the chin & the pin at the tiller end of my hiking stick got bent, but my furled 150 Genny was just fine. It had 3 wraps of the sheets around it.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Another bullet proof option is to get a jib sock. I ordered one from SBO then modified it with zig-zag lines that keep the sock tightly wrapped around the rolled up jib. Doesn’t matter what Mother Nature throws at you with this set up.
610F8FF0-B139-4D72-9329-EE05D0506753.jpeg

I used the Sailrite design for the extra lines
218E682A-5CB8-47FA-A139-BA840EBBC3A2.jpeg

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Thanks for all the input and suggestions... I spliced up some small diameter 3-strand with a spring clip spliced on one end so I can continue my better-safe-than-sorry practice. Anything above tropical storm, and I'd take it down altogether (along with bimini, and dodger), but this is just for week-to-week stuff. If there were a hurricane in the forecast I might go as far as to remove the (roller-furling) main as well... not so much for fear of wind tearing it, but to reduce weight aloft a bit. I live about an hour and a half away from my mooring, so I err on the side of caution sometimes with canvas and storm readiness only because it is a PITA for me to round trip to the boat to make a quick adjustment... especially when rushed to get ahead of a storm, If the boat were a mile away, I'd probably be more lax and adjust as needed. Thanks.

NM

Mar 14, 2009
O’Day 34 6225 Milwaukee, WI
Watched a large catamaran headsail flail itself to death a couple of years ago in the BVIs in gale force winds. As we watched, more and more sail slipped out and the noise was deafening for about 12 minutes or so until it finally shredded itself to bits. So thanks for the explanation of wind getting into the wraps. My sheets are tight with three wraps and once we get back in the water (double check all ground tackle clevis pins for safety ties!) I will check for adding that fuller stop line..

fupls

Jun 9, 2008
hunter 31 Hebe Haven
I use the furler line to make a cow hitch to a shackle which attachs to deck fitting.
Screenshot_20190730-190926_Photos.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I was on a friend's boat on Saturday, he takes a couple of half hitches around the sail with the jib sheets to keep the jib from unfurling then coils the sheets.