Two Main Sail Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LitgenC@aol.com

CP-10 Mainsail - Two Questions??

1) Does anyone out there, who owns a CP-19 (or other sailboat, for that matter), ever sail occasionally with the mainsail only? Such as when the wind kicks up, and rather than reefing, completely lower the headsail, and sail with the main sail only without reefing it I've always been reluctant to do so, and wonder if my hesitation is unfounded or not?

2) Also, I just read an article suggesting that a cunningham be added at the main sail's clew. I have a cunningham on my CP-19's main sail, just above the main sail's tack (at the mast), and I am well aware of it's function, but I have never heard of having an additional cunningham at the main sail's clew? I'm not talking about the outhaul, but a cunningham, slightly up the diagonal (about 18"), which would be attached and additionally drawn in to the outhaul.
If you have heard of same, what function does it serve?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Two Main Sail Questions

If your boat does not develop excessive weather helm with only the main hoisted, then there is no reason you can't sail with just the main. Try it for yourself and see how your boat handles. On the other hand, sailing with just the headsail and no main in windy conditions is potentially a good way to break your mast.

What you are referring to as a cunningham on the clew, is really a flattening reef. This is generally a feature of a race main. When you are racing, you are not permitted to stretch the foot of the main past it's specified maximum foot length. (the "E" dimension) There is usually a band of tape or paint near the end of the boom indicating this maximum dimension. When conditions are windy and you have pulled the outhaul tight so that the clew is at this band but want to flatten the foot some more, you use the flattening reef to do so. This will allow you to continue flattening the foot without allowing the clew to go past the maximum allowable dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.