Two-foot-itis. Are you cured?

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Dawson

sometimes...

and sometimes not. I see the trend to move up all the time, and its certainly true for me. I currently have a sailing dinghy, a Macgregor 22 swingkeel, and a Cal 2-29 project. Love them all. But what I run into all the time are people who used to own 30-40-50's and move down as they grow older. Their dilemma is they still want to get out, but the spouse stays home now, the kids are grown, the friends drift away, crew are scarce, the work and expense doesn't match the time afloat, its more fun and easier to solo, and a hundred variations. I enjoy hearing stories of both evolutions. I guess I'm not always a 'more is better' guy.

R

Rick Sears

HeadRoom

We love to spend weekends at our home away from home, i.e. the marina. We out grew our Hunter 22. At our ages we appreciate not having to get up and walk the docks to the marina heads, especially in the middle of the night. Those docks can be treacherous in the dark! (Many of you out there know what I mean) The larger aft sleeping quaters is a real plus, too. It's therefore not simply a matter of size.

D

Dona Anderson

eight feet too much

Like alot of us I moved from 16 feet to 22,25, 29. I took the 29 cruising to Mexico and enjoyed the simplicity of a small cruiser. I was contemplating 37 to 40 feet when I inherited a 38 foot older ocean racer. She had a 50 foot mast and a headsail that I could not lift or carry to the fordeck. She had electronics, gizmos & gadgets that half of I still do not understand. But boy could she sail! Scare ya half to death. We sold the dear girl and are completely happy with another 30 footer AND the Daysailer (which we towed over Donner pass this last Christmas to sail on Lake Mead - now that is another story for another time: Horror story time).

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

The following expresses my view on simplicity versus size and features: 52% I'm adding things for safety and convenience as needed 20% Simplicity be damned--I'm going for everything I can afford 18% I'm striving for simplicity but will add size or features for safety 10% I'm keeping things as simple as possible

B

BRUCE CUTCLIFFE

RIGHT ON!

Mike: You said it all. It is definitely the memories that count. I also have two daughters who are now married. Although they still enjoy going out on our boat (when in the area), it is not the same. Your brief message certainly brought tears to my eyes. Bruce C.

J

John Dorsett

Yes

I started with a 12 foot snark, then 16 ft catamaran, then 26 capri, then 30 hunter and now 356, do I want a 426 (yes)> Have I loved all the other boats Ive had Yes. I also have a 10 foot walker bay right now and love to go out and kick around on it, the thing with sailing is just being out there and enjoy. John Dorsett S/V Alcyone

T

Tom Donovan

Cruising at a cost

As my desire for a larger boat grows, so does the inclination to retain that "wind-in-the-face" purity of sailing. There is definately a trade off between comfort and agility. While not involved with the racing aspects of sailing, it's always enjoyable to move along at a good clip to find yourself in a new weekend "sleep-over" spot. The logigists involved in handling a large boat with all the associated concerns (i.e., inboard diesel, stove, refidgerator, ventilation) can easily overwhelm you and make you yearn for the day-sailor days. For me the 27 ft to 35 ft range of boat seems to address the need for comfort and agility we all enjoy out on the water. After all, I don't need or want the resposibilty or costs to operate / maintain that luxury 40 footer, that's why they have charter services and dream vacation packages. Those memories are grand without the backbreaking, wallet emptying aggrevation.

R

Rick Carlson

Head Room

We currently have a 23 ft Oday. Nice Sailing boat. However, I am 6'2" and weigh about 250. The entire family is now, and including me want larger sleeping berths and more living confort in ports. Bigger does not mean that we are trying to up our status in life, just want to sail more with greater comfort.

S

Steve Christensen

Just Another Decision

To keep it simple is to maintain the purity of the sport. I started with an O'Day 192 (18/7); then a SeaWind 24 cat. Kept telling myself it would be great. Talked myself right into it. I sailed a lot more on the O'Day. I spent a lot more on the SeaWind. I've sold the SeaWind now. Simple is much better. I have three grandkids now and want to take them all weekending to Dog Island, off the coast of Carrabelle, FL on my next boat. Thank you everyone. I've made my decision tonight to stop looking over 22 feet. It's weekending when alone, a campout with the kids. It's fun either way.

B

Bill

Resisting the temptation

Grew up sailing sunfish an day sailers on Long Island Sound. After 20 years away, rediscovered sailing (on Lake Erie). Bought an Oday222 as intro for family. Its been well recieved and used almost every weekend in summer. Will we use a larger boat more? Probably not.

E

Eric Bouchard

She is big for fresh water lake

I own a Matilda 20 and she is rigged for solo sailing. She is fun and with is 8'large beam, very safe. I just bought a Catalina 27 and for my place, she is a very big boat. She look small in dock where i bought her among 40', 50' and 60 footers. She's maybe small for the great blue but not for my lake, she's the right size. Standing upright on rainny days and inboard engine that what i was looking for. On our's water, a 30'+ boat stay more on dock and almost never leave if she wear a liquor or beer name. A perfect lake boat will be a Catalina 27 with swing keel. A roomy boat who can beach but noting is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.