Two-foot-itis. Are you cured?

• Thread starter SailboatOwners.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Maybe you learned to sail on a Butterfly or a Sunfish. Then maybe you wanted to stay drier and picked up an O'day Daysailer. Then perhaps the desire for some overnights led you to a Catalina or Hunter trailer sailor with a length in the low twenties. And perhaps the desire for a real head, or standing headroom, or a wheel instead of a tiller led you to a still larger boat, maybe one with an inboard engine. At some point the need for radar or GPS came along, or maybe kids and the need for more bunks. Maybe the kids left home and you wanted a blue water boat with extended cruising capability. At each step you got further from the water and the immediacy of the wind and the sail on the mainsheet, and more dependent on winches, electronics, etc. So how do you feel about that? Are you trying to keep things simple to enjoy the purity of sailing? Or is the convenience and safety of size, electronics, et al, worth sacrificing some simplicity? Have you decided that simplicity be damned, you're working toward a fully capable world cruiser? Share your simple and complex thoughts here, then vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz by Gary Wyngarden)

K

Ken

Two foot to big

I've been cured, the cost of two feet have gone up. Around here it's hard to find the moorage even if you get the boat. Two years sgo I moved up to a bigger boat, it's harder to dock, the systems are expensive and break down alot, dispite an avid maintaince schdule. Moving up would take alot of thought.

H

Hogan Cooper

Opting for a funboat

My Precision P-23 fits me nicely now for weekenders and daysailing. Tending toward clutter with my accessories and gear. I am looking to add a cat or board boat to the fleet for wet sailing this summer

D

Dave

Two Foot Massage

Learned to sail on a sunfish. Loved the purity and simplicity as a child, no motor, lttle to go wrong. Moved up to a 25, then to a 35. Losing the "feel" of a little centerboard boat I decided to solve the problem. So I built a sailing dinghy. Now I can go sailing all the time instead of just to get to destinations. Places like Block Islands great salt pond, or Newport harbor, or Napatree Point are great locations for sailing a small boat while still enjoying the comforts and safety of the large boat. I posted a photo of "Little Jan" a while back. Let me know if I should repost one. It is called a sand dollar, 11 ft. long and I rigged it as a lug sail. Regards, Dave

B

Bill O'Donovan

Balance

As with all things in life, balance and moderation are needed. Even though I sail a H29.5 vigorously, I refuse to install autopilot for fear it would hook me. I must run the boat.

T

Tom Ehmke

Never had the ailment... yet

We found our 272 in 1994. The previous owner had 2-footitis, and we benefited. I would move up to a 30 footer(max) if we hit the lottery, but since that aint likely(!), we'll continue to enjoy our little cruiser, daysailing and doing Great Lakes cruising. The 272 is enjoyable to sail, alone or with crew, provides a great place to tinker and upgrade, and nothing costs an arm and a leg to maintain, repair, or upgrade.

D

David Moore

Just like the camping thing!

When we got married we bought a tent then a tent trailer, hardtop tent trailer, camping trailer, camper motorhome, time share condo then finally a cottage by the sea. Sailing is the same only I started with a surf board, homemade sailfish, 10' styrofoam Snark, 12' Long Island Wood Pussy, 16' fiberglass cat boat,14' AMF Sunbird, 16' EXE Nordica day sailer and now my PY23. Un fortunately I didn't sell all of them, yet!

J

John Dodge

Go for it!

I think I have the most understanding wife. We were looking at some 25 ft Hunters & Cal's when she said "Your going to be in this boat 3 months and then want something bigger, and besides if we want to have friends with us"..etc. We went for the hunter 31 on the first go round and I'm so glad we did.

R

Richard Gottlieb

More like 10-footitis

Rather than move up in small increments, my wife and I decided last year to go from a 26' Hunter 270 ("Dear, I just can't get comfortable sleeping here.") to a 2003 Catalina 36 Mk. II (Now, this is much better, but can we add . . . ") :)

T

Tim Long

staying close to the water

I started on a sunfish and stepped up to a daysailer/racer. I have been very reluctant to go the next step for exactly this reason.My experience on larger boats is that it is a pleasant cruise, but lacks the exitement and immediacy of being so close to the water with the tiller in one hand and the mainsheet in the other, hiking out over the spray. I may still someday step up to a 24'so I can sail to offshore Islands and other destinations, but I'm sure I'll keep a dinghy racer around for the pure sport of it.

C

Cam Whetstone

Started Medium, grew a little

About 25 or so years ago, I was offered a 22-foot sailboat, a gaff-rigged cutter, to try for the summer. I enjoyed it and stayed with the size through a Rhoades 22 and McGregor 22. I started looking for a vcruising boat in about 1990. I ended up with my present boat--a Columbia 36--in 2001. I want some more toys, but am retired and living on SS. However, I am happy with my old columbia. I sailed on an almost-new Hunter Passage 45. It was beautiful, but I will never be able to buy one. It is my Columbia or quit sailing. I sometimes think it would be nice to have a small boat (22-footer) aon the side, but would not give up my cirrent boat for a smaller one. Cam Whetstone s/v C36 - Wolf's Den Baltimore, Md. USA

P

Peter Siemens

Big boats don't mean two foot itis.

My first sailing experiences were on Laser sailboats the good old fashioned wet butt sailing. Interestingly enough after a 20 year abscence we bought a 37' Hunter Legend and are having a blast. Other than the fact it is bigger, more comfortable and something we can enjoy with friends there is not much difference in the pleasure of sailing. While in Cancun several weeks ago I took out a Laser and thought though it was fun for a little while but not for long. Image spending a day sailing, an overnight secluded BBQ and spinning of tales on deck after dinner, an enjoyable night sleeping and waking up to the smell of coffee. Oh I forgot this can't be done on a Laser or other small boat. Why do people think that smaller boats bring you closer to the essence of sailing. When my BIG Hunter gets it's side rails in the water the heart rate goes up and it's time to get back in the action. Bigger does not have to mean less fun but rather it means more fun. Can hardly wait for spring so I can try my GPS system which will allow me to explore even further away from our home port allowing my wife the navigator to check out the Bald Eagles and such. Cheers.

D

Dan Ebert

I have It

Had a 1998 H240, then a 1999 H260 and now a 2000 H290 and now getting another itch. Love the boats!

A

AHHooker

The right boat

Having raced on many boats from a Tech dingy to Bristol and Swan 41s, I had a fear of "2 foot itis". My cure was to purchase my father's C&C Redwing 30 in 1985, which I had raced/sailed on for the previous 16 years. Since then, I have rebuilt the boat inside and out, added numerous systems to improve sailing and handling control. I have discovered that a 30 footer is large enough to handle the most inclement weather, yet small enough to be affordable. Instead of moving up the ladder in boat size, I have opted to make the necessary improvements in my boat to make her fast & comfortable. Having sailed her for 33 years, she fits me well like a good pair of jeans, and can still show her heels to most of the fleet. To check out some of the improvements, go to "www.redwing30.homestead.com"

B

Bruce Mulford

Mutant version of Two-foot-itis

I seem to have gotten a mutant version of two-foot-itis. I learned to sail on a 14' Sunfish. Upgraded to an AMF Sunbird 16' daysailer, thats +2 feet. Then to an O'Day 222, thats +6 feet. Then to a Hunter 29.5, +8 feet. My new H410 will be launched in April. Thats +11 feet. So, 2, 6, 8, 11. I guess the next one will be about 55 feet?

S

Stephen

One size too big ?

It is my belief that this syndrome frequently results in a majority of people ending up with a boat that is 'just one size too big'. And a failure to realize it, or perhaps to efectively deal with it, is one of the primary reasons that many marina slips are full on beautiful sunny days. <g> stephen

W

Walter Duke

How about arthritis?

After messing about in a 23 ft.Columbia for 15 years,the move up became more enticing(comfort becomes more important in the silver years)in fact I believe that my recent purchase of a Mark Lindsay 38 ft.motorsailer may even cure my arthritis. Sail On- Walter Duke Tsunami-Lindsay 38

E

ED

10 footitis

Last year decided to get back into sailing - had only owned small wet boats previously, although had experience on large keel boats and had attended an off shore school several years before. Having said that, I looked at a 306 and had a pretty solid deal set up on it. Then went back and looked hard and decided that the 306 cockpit just wasn't going to be big enough. Next to the 306 was a 326 - seemed HUGH and my wife wasn't sure we "needed" that big a boat!!!! But the cockpit won out. So in the summer of 2002 we lanched her and it was a fun addition to our sumer residence on the Mystic river. By the end of the summer it became clear that we spent as much time in the boat as the Condo, and in fact enjoyed the boat time more. So, at the end of the season we put the condo up for sale and went to look at a boat we could live on for two or three months a year during the summers in New England. By now the 326 was not "very big" at all - in fact a little tender for our tastes. Looked at everthing, IP, Tartan etc. But fell in love with the 426 DS and bought hull #1 at the Newport show - will put it into the h2o this summer. Hope it is big enough, because a 52 footer is really tooo big - or is it? HMMM that water balast long distance cruser of Hunters looks interesting.........

J

J Mashburn

Just-right-is For Now

With all the many things our family likes to do i.e, sail, paddle, camp, hike, tennis, bike, dance, horse-back riding, astronomy, travel, etc., our daysailer is just right for us as it allows me to enjoy a day out sailing alone or with family and friends. With the flexibilty of owning a daysailer, it allows for more time on the water, more time with family & friends, & last but not least, the ability to keep more money in my pockets for those other many things (listed) we like to do. J Mashburn TIKI Hunter 146

M

Mark Johnson

I'm going for the gusto!

Started with a 30 then to a 36 then to a 42 then to a 46 now a 50. 50' however, is about as big as I can handle with just my wife and I. Being on the water brings us so much joy it's hard to describe. Life is far too short to take the "we'll do it later attitude". I'm doing it now while I can afford it (it hurts sometimes) and while we still have our health.

Status
Not open for further replies.