Twisted Boom

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

When we went to uncover our 1992 Catalina 30 mkII this past spring we ran across something odd--our boom seemed to have twisted over the winter, to the degree that the the plate/bracket that attaches the boom to the vang had bent.

I was able to straighten the bracket using a metal press, but even after re-installation our boom is still rotated 5-10 degrees to the port. I can twist the boom upright by hand, but it continues to rotate back to the port as soon as I let go (see pictures). We've had this boat for approximately 4 years, I don't remember seeing this twist in previous seasons.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I looked for exploded diagrams of the boom but did not see anything that could cause/fix the issue based on the boom configuration. I'm curious if this is "normal" (and I just don't remember) or if/what repairs are needed before sailing.

Thanks!

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That boom is designed to rotate on that gooseneck fitting. It must be that the vang bracket is imparting the twist, in my view.

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Unusual. How was the boat stored for the Winter? Was a cover which uses the boom for support involved?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree with jviss. I had a rotating boom on my Ranger 29, which is of same vintage of your Catalina. Mine list off and on for the time I owned it. It was never a discernible problem for me. The give away is the tang on the aft of the boom for the topping lift which allows the boom to rotate. I never did figure out how to stop the rotation on my boat and I can't on yours. I don't know about the vang mounting plate bending. All I can guess is that there was some external force on the boom, which the plate took.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
This was our first season with a new cover. The cover is/was boom supported. We've previously used shrink wrap, which was also wrapped over the boom, but the snow probably slides off of the shrink better than off of the cloth.

I'm glad to have the confirmation that the boom can rotate--I was afraid that something internally may have sheared. I'll order a new bracket and see if they straightens things up.

Thanks!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If it's a Garhauer bracket just send to to them, attn:Guido, and he'll straighten it for you.