TV problem

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Have a 2002 Catalina 310, 166. Admiral wanted a tv onboard so got Glomex antenna up the mast, power supply and coax cable all rigged up. Admiral now wants ability to watch movies from a usb stick as well as watch over the air (ota) tv. The 24 in LG tv only has two inputs, hdmi and coax antenna. My dilemma is to find some sort of electronic device that will allow a usb to be plugged into it and then plug into the hdmi port on the tv. An Internet search offers many devices that do this but only appear to work from a laptop to a larger screen or another computer or projection screen. No device that I have found to date will do this usb to hdmi conversion.
Therefore my question to the sailing community is how can I overcome this difficulty and keep my admiral happy? Or does a device like this even exist?
Thanks to all for whatever assistance you can provide.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Are you talking about streaming using wifi and a Roku stick or usb for movies you own and are downloaded? If the ladder im not sure how that would work as you would need a media player built into to the tv to play back the videos. It appears that your tv is basically a monitor so you will need something to play from USB. Have you considered getting a cheap DVD or blu ray player? Many of them will also read USB and connect to the tv via the HDMI leaving the coax open for the OTA channels.

• Helpful
Feb 18, 2021
Catalina 34 Florida
Hey, a fast search on internet shows that are a lot of adapters from HDMI to USB, you need this one and a HDMI cable to plug it into adapter and TV. Hope it will help you!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You must have a device to play the media. Unless the TV has one built in, which you can determine by reading the owner's manual, you will need to purchase a media player that has an HDMI output that can feed the signal to the TV.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
An alternate solution....
Buy a condo by the water to watch TV and streaming movies.

Use the boat to get away from all of that electronics activity and develop new activities, like talking to each other over a glass of wine while observing a beautiful sunset, then lying on deck with more wine and counting the number of stars in the milky way.

I remember doing that on the hood of my car, staring up into the summer night sky. To do it on a boat is magical.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Like others have said you’ll need a device that has USB input and HDMI output, and a DVD player is a good choice. If you just want it for when you’re in places with wifi available you could use a Roku or Fire stick to steam the movies instead.

• Helpful
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
An alternate solution....
Buy a condo by the water to watch TV and streaming movies.
I like your way of thinking but personally, I think it would be cheaper (and easier) to get a new admiral.

then lying on deck with more wine and counting the number of stars in the milky way.
Oh, definitely a new admiral ................. and then lying on the deck, one who would postulate, "what exists beyond the furthest star we see at night if infinity is impossible ? And of course, infinity is impossible or the night sky would be aglow with light."

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Buy a new TV. For less than $150 you can get a 32" smart TV with USB and built in netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. Then just make your phone a wifi hotspot and connect the TV to your phone via wifi. Voila, netflix, network TV, can be streamed from the internet. Get a TV with Miracast and you can project your phone or ipad onto the tv. My wife and I were watching Netflix on a mooring in Edgartown, MV last summer, and it worked great.

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
I appreciate all the comments and since the admiral does not have access to this site, her demotion is under active consideration. The other more realistic solutions are being further looked at. Boat is on the hard and with covid ongoing and another winter storm coming this weekend should have time to determine options. Thanks to all.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Buy a new TV. For less than $150 you can get a 32" smart TV with USB and built in netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. Then just make your phone a wifi hotspot and connect the TV to your phone via wifi. Voila, netflix, network TV, can be streamed from the internet. Get a TV with Miracast and you can project your phone or ipad onto the tv. My wife and I were watching Netflix on a mooring in Edgartown, MV last summer, and it worked great.
:plus:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I bought a Jensen stereo with DVD/CD player to go with the Jensen TV. It has a USB port. What I couldn't find was a 12v Blu Ray player to go with it. My collection of movies includes many that have both Blu Ray and DVD discs included, but a few of the Blue Rays don't have the DVD disc and the Blue Ray disc isn't compatible. I hate to spend the money on a dedicated Blu Ray player.

One other thing I noticed ... I haven't connected speakers to the stereo yet. When I watched movies on DVD, there were quiet periods in the movie when the sound was not projected on the TV speaker. The sound only cut in when there was dialogue. It's pretty annoying when the sound cuts in and out, only activating with dialogue. Is there an audio reason for that? I'm assuming that when I have the speakers connected, I won't have that problem, but who knows? Sorry for thread drift, but is seemed like the question was answered ...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
One other thing I noticed ... I haven't connected speakers to the stereo yet. When I watched movies on DVD, there were quiet periods in the movie when the sound was not projected on the TV speaker. The sound only cut in when there was dialogue. It's pretty annoying when the sound cuts in and out, only activating with dialogue. Is there an audio reason for that? I'm assuming that when I have the speakers connected, I won't have that problem, but who knows? Sorry for thread drift, but is seemed like the question was answered ...
Maybe the DVD player is putting out surround sound but the tv is only playing the center channel, or some kind of incompatibility like that.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I installed a dvd stereo at the nav station, that has video out ,blue tooth for phone control of volume and music from helm and has usb input. Any video goes to my tv however the sound comes out both ,it's like being at the show surround sound With the antenna I get 54 stations , and stream over wifi to my smart tv.
We go away allot on our boat ,at night I enjoy it, news , weather , movies etc .One can only drink so much.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Can’t imagine doing it all summer on the boat too!
That is because you have such exciting waters to explore, vistas to see. It is what I call "WOW overload" cruising in the Pacific NW. You leave the marina and turn out into a strait and WOW Snow capped mountains in summer. You beat up the strait in a moderate breeze and turn into a passage that has trees from the sky all the way to the deep blue waters WOW WOW... You find a cove that is big enough for a couple of boats but you are the only one there. You set anchor and sit back with a glass of red wine or a favorite adult beverage and a pair of eagles swoop from the trees and snatch a fish from the surface. WOW WOW WOW ..... OVER LOAD...

Who needs TV?

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
This is not a debate over the merits of TV or the beauty of different ports. It is a thread about how to hook up a TV. I've seen this before. Someone asks a question about instruments or an MFD and it becomes a debate before over the merits of electronic instruments or sailing by telltales sextant and gut like a real man. Some people may like to watch TV, to each his own. Start a separate post on whether you need a TV on a boat if you'd like.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Tread Drift. Something to do with tides and currents I think, but you’re right. It’s not overly helpful.