Try to change her, or let her go? Need advice here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
By using a tiller extension you can steer your boat while seated in one of the "catbird seats"! This allows you a much improved forward view compared to sitting down next to tiller. Obviously, only while enjoying mild weather. Chief

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
puddle jockey, you have the factory mainsheet that uses a fiddle block on one side that exits through a bullseye fairlead to a cam cleat on the starboard cabin top, this goes through three single blocks up on the boom bails and to a single block with becket on the port side cabin top. take all that off and go get two fiddle blocks with beckets and cam cleats, put these on the port and starboard cabin top hard points, then get two fiddle blocks and put them on the aft most bail (unless you can get matching blocks to the fiddle you already have) then get 40 (ish) feet of line, 50 if you like a little overkill, and run each end backwards starting at the cam cleat to the big end of the boom fiddle block then to the small end of the deck block, small end of boom block, bowline to the becket, now you have a continuous control line, dual, 4 purchase mainsheet that if you add snap shackles to the bottom of the tackle (deck side) you have a movable mainsheet system.

think about beating on port tack, with your current system you trim the jib, then pull the mainsheet till there is little to no speed bubble in the luff of the main, nothing else you can do, with the dual system you trim the jib then trim the starboard (windward) side of your mainsheet while leaving the port (leeward) slack, if this doesnt make you happy (heavy air want to de-power/flatten) haul on the port tackle and the boom will pull down, also now unlike with the stock single line system you can sheet the boom past center and control twist to get the boat to point higher to weather, almost if not more than a traveller system with a track car on this boat, and with the snap shackles you have something the traveler doesnt, less lines and a blowout preventer when you move one to the toe-rail.

also for fun factor, wow, i have a tall rig you can buy off me for a steal if you will come get it lol, its more fun than the standard rig. needs some interior work so you could reconfigure how you see fit, its lighter because no inboard, everything was glassed up so the bottom is clear of shaft strut and intake. its been tuned and i can take you out for a light air day to demo how high it points and how well she moves but the main is in need of replacement, for a bini brother on here ill take 4k and it comes with two 170 jibs, mini fridge plumbed in, 32 in. tv im not wiling to remove with its dvd player and netflix box, backstay adjuster is rigged, dual mainsheet currently race tuned by a very successful local racer with two north american championships (nacra and tripp 26).

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Btw op there is a lit of benifit to be had from changing from the standard mainsheet to a dual...I can send pics later but you can mod the system by just changing blocks and get a lot more adjustable system that is at least as good as a traveler and track by using fiddle blocks on the aft most bail (2 ea) and fiddles with Becket and cam cleats on the cabin top at the existing hard points..attach with snap shackles and when off the wind use one or the other moved to the toe rail as a vang/blowout preventer
I'd also like to see that set up, before I rig the Lugar 30.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
I'd also like to see that set up, before I rig the Lugar 30.
ill get pics soon, the weather was crap last night and idk if it will be any better tonight, i get off close to sunset and things havent been good for taking pics this week so far lol. the sale offer is open to anyone here on the forum though 4k as is, the only big issue is it could use a new bulkhead but it has been deemed structurally sound for inshore work by a qualified shipwright.

Jan 9, 2013
Hunter 27 Mooresville, NC
Hmmm....I'm committed to seeing if I can make do what I want without breaking the bank, or if selling her and throwing I some extra coo. Is the way to go....and I really, really can't decide.
1: if money wasn't an option, this post would have been titled " check out my new boat" and 2: sadly, I looked at a cat 30 and an s2 7.9 , both wpuld involve me selling plus more cash...and both had worse fiberglass issues than what I already have...

So while I haven't solved anything, I guess I'm confused about more important issues....and that's progress!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.