True Internet-worthy WiFi on board

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Currently have unlimited cellular with Verizon with somewhat older (soon to be upgraded) iPhone. Very interested in adding Shakespeare 5239 WiFi antenna but curious as to what goes on the inboard end of it (the hotspot). Have read numerous reviews about 3rd-party hotspot devices available. Am still unsure of capabilities and necessary hardware.

Needs are mostly modest - 1, 2 devices max; streaming infrequent except for pure recreation; document downloads & uploads more common (file size >100mb); usual social media and Web browsing, etc..

The important exception is for (part-time but lucrative) online job which wants moderately fast, reliable, ‘wired’ WiFi system for live Internet interaction (e.g., Zoom & the like).

Question - what (other than pure cellular phone-based service) are you using to approximate (as well as one can) home-like Internet access whilst on the hook or underway? Or is the true best plan simply relying on whatever you can get out of a 4G cellular plan? - and, if so, what are those drawbacks?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Or is the true best plan simply relying on whatever you can get out of a 4G cellular plan? - and, if so, what are those drawbacks?
Cellular hotspot works for me, as long as I'm in the states (and in range of a tower).
If abroad, I'm limited to a certain amount of "high speed" data roaming, so then switch to whatever local wifi might be available. Got an older USB antenna to hook up to a laptop. It can draw in LOS signals from a pretty good distance when anchored out.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Over the past 5 months of living aboard and traveling, the 2 things I miss most from home are solid high speed internet delivered via fiber and flush toilets.

Marina based wifi is highly variable. Some marinas have decent wifi, some don't. In all cases when the network gets busy, in the morning and evening, the service deteriorates due to the limited bandwidth. The other issue with marina wifi is the boats location and the laptop's location. In one marina we were surrounded by large towering powerboats. On the main dock we had good reception, in the cabin, not so much.

We added a Wave Rogue Wifi antenna. This has helped but is not perfect. It does amplify signals and improves reception, however, it is subject to the same bandwidth limitations when too many people are checking mail and watching videos. The Rogue is not a wifi extender that is often used in homes to extend the range. The antenna logs into the marina's wifi hotspot and appears to the marina as a single device. Our rogue then connects to the onboard router/hotspot and we connect to that. I have heard that some Marina Wifi providers are blocking the home wifi extenders but not devices like the Rogue.

We also have 2 iPhones with ATT unlimited plans and one iPad with an unlimited data plan. These are quite reliable, depending on the location of the cell towers. With a decent cell connection we have been able to join Zoom meetings with decent audio and video. Weaker connections will result in poorer quality. Our data plans offer unlimited data on the device but limit data (20 gig) when the phone is used as a hot spot.

In areas with weaker cell connections, many will put their phones in a waterproof bag and hoist it up the mast to improve reception.

The biggest frustration is unpredictability. We deal with that by having multiple sources, at the moment I can access my phone's hot spot, the marina across the river's hot spot with the Rogue, and wifi from the marina I'm in. At the moment I am connected to the marina across the river.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Got an older USB antenna to hook up to a laptop. It can draw in LOS signals from a pretty good distance when anchored out.
Thanks for that. Forgot to mention that my work gets done on (older) MacBook - not the phone. So the laptop has to be able to find the phone, the local Wifi or the boat’s hotspot.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Very expensive here. $500 for equipment and $99 per month. Wonder if it will work as you travel to marinas, but seems very pricey...
The $500 for equipment seems high, but the $99 per month is far enough below what my monthly internet bill is that I'll pay for the $500 equipment in slightly over 12 months ..

Now I don't think it works traveling for several constraints inherent with the system as is, but here's to hoping that changes ..

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for that. Forgot to mention that my work gets done on (older) MacBook - not the phone. So the laptop has to be able to find the phone, the local Wifi or the boat’s hotspot.
You should be able to test this before you leave. Can your laptop find your phone's hotspot? It may be time to upgrade the laptop.

Jan 11, 2014
Whoopsie. ;)
Apple just wasn't that into USB connections, huh?
Apple has always had USB connections. I've had Mac laptops and desktops for eons and for the past 20 (?) years USB ports have been standard. The three laptops onboard all have USB ports. The newest ones have USB C ports. to use the old USB A ports it is necessary to have a USB A to USB C dongle.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Whoopsie. ;)
Apple just wasn't that into USB connections, huh?
I don’t know what you mean. I have 2 USB-2 sockets and a separate hub for DVD player, cooling fan, remote storage flash drive, and the cordless mouse. I elected to not use my (preferable) Apple keyboard. The TV attaches via FireWire/HDMI. The phone attaches via Lightning/USB.

Apple out of floppy disks early and pioneered USB. The hub is my concession to that. It’s fine if not too much is running at once.
I’m not picky about speed and bandwidth (not a gamer). As long as what I do have is reliable, I can accept it. Having several Internet-based sources of income however sort of decides the matter for me.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
You should be able to test this before you leave. Can your laptop find your phone's hotspot? It may be time to upgrade the laptop.
It’s time to upgrade both; but that’s not the deciding factor in wiring a network for serving Internet to the devices. From what I’ve learned the antenna will be faster and broader than using the phone to pull it in - and cheaper.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
When working on the boat I've found it better to use my phone as a hot spot than depend on the unpredictable Wi-Fi in my harbour. I can run a skype/webex/zoom voice call and access what I need over VPN without problem. And it works just as well away from the harbour.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I hoist our HOTSPOT up the pennant line to about 40 feet and get good streaming service within 15 miles offshore.

Also make a deal with Verizon, when you buy your iPhone, for their recommended portable HOT SPOT / Router combo.

We have one from our provider for all our Apple devices, we use aboard.
_____
Also our past neighbor, in the marina, was a AT&T dealer and when I asked about a directional Antennae he said no way.

Why?

Sea State and wind moving a boat at anchor, dependent.;)

Good luck.
Jim...

PS: Our Hotspot is in a water proof iPad pouch, with an extra battery bank plugged in.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
When working on the boat I've found it better to use my phone as a hot spot than depend on the unpredictable Wi-Fi in my harbour. I can run a skype/webex/zoom voice call and access what I need over VPN without problem. And it works just as well away from the harbour.
A lot of the places on my itinerary do have decent Wifi - it’s just where I might have to be to get it (some days on the hook; some days right at the bulkhead). Just concerned that, if others (non-employees) are pulling in signals at the time I need to be on, it could be a problem.