Trolling Motor for Catalina 22 as backup

robk27

May 29, 2018
O'Day 25 Madison
I've been having some issues with my Tohatsu 6HP Sail pro outboard engine not always being reliable starting or restarting. This has kept me from going for a sail on a couple occasions and luckily it has happened only at the mooring not out on the lake. I know I need to get it serviced to ensure it is reliable, but we've had a lot of humidity and storms out on the mooring field.

I'm heavily considering getting a trolling motor that I can store in the side berth as a backup in case I'm in a situation where the wind has died completely and the outboard motor won't start. I like to calm my fears with redundancies. This is the 2nd season of owning my first sailboat.

Has anyone tried using a trolling motor on a Catalina 22? Is there enough thrust for a heavy sailboat? Thoughts on where to mount it, since the main outboard engine would still be mounted to the outboard kicker? I'm trying to think of a way to quickly mount it on the other side of the transom where the swim ladder is without getting in the way of the rudder.

I don't need to go fast, just need to make it back safely to the mooring ball. I'd be trying to run this on just the main 12v deep cycle that I use for lights on the boat. The battery is always at full charge with solar.

Open to any thoughts, opinions and experiences. Thank you :)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
There have been many threads about the sail pro, mostly it seems to be using ethanol fuel, not running it dry when you get done with it each time, or failing to change the plug out yearly. That aside you may want to get a separate battery, group 27 that is a combo starting and deep cycle as they work better with the electric trolling motors according to old salts grapevine.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
wouldn't bother with trolling motor, just get your's properly serviced, as said, ethanol is not good, be sure to run it dry, have the carb cleaned/boiled, change plug, chk fuel condition & line, use fresh gas (these are the likely culprits)....all will be well...no need to mess with another motor, just something more to screw with imo....

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
I had similar trouble with my Tohatsu 4hp... it had a new carburetor and I ran ethanol free fuel only... but the issue returned the following season. I found the issue to be due to clogged carburetor jets... I followed the steps in this video below to clean them and the motor has run well ever since...

I had an older trolling motor and now keep it in my Catalina 22 as a backup. On my boat I can mount it adjacent to the rudder. I’ve never had to use it so I can’t speak to how well it would work.

May 8, 2019
Catalina 22 Jordan Lake
I’ve been using a 55# Minn Kota to push Mersea around the lake the last few years. That trolling motor is the most thrust I could find that would work off one battery. It doesn’t move it as well as my 1979 6HP Johnson.....but much easier to start (particularly after rotator cuff reattachment surgery). I mount the motor on the motor mount, so I don’t have the issue of having both motors on board.

In terms of maneuvering, the 55# is just enough to handle the boat around the dock or ramp in moderate winds. The one time I was out with gusts of 18+ was a little dicey lining the boat up with the trailer at the ramp.

Like many things, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
wouldn't bother with trolling motor, just get yours properly serviced, as said, ethanol is not good, be sure to run it dry, have the carb cleaned/boiled, change plug, chk fuel condition & line, use fresh gas (these are the likely culprits)....all will be well...no need to mess with another motor, just something more to screw with imo....
+1. Tohatsu makes great motors.

It's your boat, you can carry a trolling motor for redundancy if you really want to, but I'd start with fixing the outboard.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I have my Catalina 22 on a mooring on a lake that doesn’t allow gas motors, so a 74 lb Minn Kota is my primary auxiliary.

It moves my boat without any problem, in any kind of wind.

Earlier this summer we were becalmed and there was another boat out there that’s 3,500 pounds + six people on board. I hooked on and towed them back without any issue. Of course the water was glassy smooth.

Just yesterday a Hobie had some issues and got blown against the shore on the far side. He had some mechanical issue that kept him from sailing. I towed him back across the lake into a headwind. I could definitely feel that he was there. His jib was stuck partway up so he presented a lot of windage. Nonetheless, my little trolling motor moved us both.

The problem is a motor that size is 24v, so you’d need two batteries. As someone stated earlier, I think the largest you can get that runs on 12v is a 55 lb thrust. However, as long as you’re not towing people I think a 55 lb would do fine for you.

Oh, I center the trolling motor and use the tiller to steer. So you could probably do something harebrained like mount it to the swim ladder or something. Just make sure you have a safety line tied to it, so it doesn’t go to the bottom if you drop it….

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That aside you may want to get a separate battery, group 27 that is a combo starting and deep cycle as they work better with the electric trolling motors
:plus:
That's the conclusion I've come to, as well. I have been looking into one for Dragonfly and the Newport Vessels 86# thrust is the one I have my eye on. It is the largest 24 volt motor I've seen. There's not enough room to go with 36 volts on Dragonfly.
The swim ladder sounds like a plan.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
A trick I have used if you don't want to take the whole motor home is to just remove the carb and take it home and clean. I actually have had pretty good success with basically disassembling the carb, put it in a large glass jar, fill with carb cleaner and let sit for a week or longer.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a 36lbs trolling motor as a backup for my 4hp Tohatsu on my Starwind 19. I suspect the Tohatsu is sensetive to the direction it's transported (air gets into the wrong part of the fuel system if transported incorrectly). The trolling motor, while not very powerful, is otherwise awesome. It's incredibly reliable and it's silent! With that being said it is slow and does not work well in windy conditions. If my motor dies in poor conditions I would sail into a protected harbor and troll into the slip

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I had similar trouble with my Tohatsu 4hp... it had a new carburetor and I ran ethanol free fuel only... but the issue returned the following season. I found the issue to be due to clogged carburetor jets... I followed the steps in this video below to clean them and the motor has run well ever since...
Great video!