Traveller suggestions

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
I was wondering from the different main sail Traveller systems and the locations to be installed which would be more effective/convenient to tje improvement of my Bristol 24.
Any advise, as always is welcome and deeply appreciated.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We are very happy with boom end sheeting to the aft side of our cockpit on our h27:
- boom end sheeting gives the best leverage on the boom with the least stress on it.
- the mainsheet is easy to reach under way from the tiller.
- the traveler is easy to adjust under way.
- the view and access forward are unobstructed.
- we can lay down full length on either cockpit seat at anchor/mooring.
- the mainsheet fall provides a good place to restrain the tiller in port, or at anchor/mooring.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That is a rather broad question. A lot depends on the boat layout itself, how you use it, and what works out best for you.
Boom end works well and keeps the cockpit clear provided the boom extends all the way to the transom. On my boat, the boom is shorter and the end is near the helm. If I had the mainsheet there, I would be stumbling over the traveller. Thus my traveller is located on the cabin top and a the multi part mainsheet is a mid boom arrangement. I have seen boats that have the traveller located at the companionway which creates problems of its own. I don’t push my boat hard, am usually able to control jibes and tacks so that I don’t shock load the system, and the boom extrusion is strong enough for the way the boat is used, so I am not overly concerned with breaking the boom. With a loose footed main sail there is a point load at the clew and no load on the length of the boom, as compared to a main with the foot attached along the length of the boom.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Welcome to the forum.

Changing the traveller/main sheet location is not as simple as it seems on the surface. The mainsheet can have a large load on it which can become much larger in the case of an accidental jibe. The boom, the mainsheet attachment point, and the traveller attachment point are engineered to handle those loads. Because of this moving the location is probably not the best idea, people do it and it may work, however in doing so they are messing with the safety factors designed into the boat.

Changing out the hardware from the original hardware is a good idea. Adding ball bearing blocks and cars will reduce friction and make trimming the main much easier. Harken and Garhauer make suitable blocks and cars.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
wondering from the different main sail Traveller systems and the locations to be installed which would be more effective/convenient to tje improvement of my Bristol 24.
Can you share the problems you experience due to the current design?

Dlochner’s statements rightly caution changing the design. From an engineering standpoint the boom on your boat is more than half the length of your boats LWL. The boom has little space between the deck top and the bottom of the boom. The boom extends more than half of its 11feet length over the cockpit.

This leads me to conjecture that moving the traveler would make control of the boom very difficult. The angles needed to provide control do not look good.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I was wondering from the different main sail Traveller systems and the locations to be installed which would be more effective/convenient to tje improvement of my Bristol 24.
Any advise, as always is welcome and deeply appreciated.
Welcome, Add a picture of current setup as some of these boats had no traveler, which was probably an option or owner retrofit.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
The closest traveler to be used it seems to be the one on the left of Lean Remmicks post here as one of the answers to my question. (sorry the image is not loading) it would be all the way back crossing and bridging the gap from side to side. Now then is there a company that would have a "kit" ready to purchase and install?
Since i was looking last night on line and all this things are sold separate per item(i don't have and idea which items to order for a complete list)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If you want a new traveler, you can send Garhauer your old one and they will make one that mounts in the same holes. Give them a call.

If the problem is the car not rolling smoothly, and looks like the one in the picture (old Seaboard / Kenyon) replace the roller bearings and clean the track well.

M

Member 131497

Hi
Im looking for advise regarding a traveler system for my B24. It would be installed all the way back crossing over the tiller. Any idea how this things are ordered, how to know all the parts involved, needed, is there a "kit"?
Thx

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The closest traveler to be used it seems to be the one on the left of Lean Remmicks post here as one of the answers to my question.
Is your tiller set up the same way? It would not interfere with the mainsheet? Most small boat tiller tend to attach directly to the rudder over the transom

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The closest traveler to be used it seems to be the one on the left of Lean Remmicks post here as one of the answers to my question. (sorry the image is not loading) it would be all the way back crossing and bridging the gap from side to side. Now then is there a company that would have a "kit" ready to purchase and install?
Since i was looking last night on line and all this things are sold separate per item(i don't have and idea which items to order for a complete list)
The basic traveller consists of a track, a car, turning blocks and a couple of cam cleats. There are so many different boats, it is hard to market a complete kit. Harken has in the past sold a "kit" containing the car, turning blocks, and cam cleats. The track has to ordered separately because every boat needs a different length.

There are generally 2 types of track, high profile and low profile. High profile tracks are used when it is necessary to bridge a gap or it is not possible to secure the track along the whole length and only the ends are secured. Low profile tracks are used when the track can be supported for its whole length and secured along its whole length.

The mainsheet system is sold separately. At the bottom is typically a fiddle block with a becket and a cam cleat. This is attached to the traveller car. The upper blocks can vary depending on the boat, a double block or a fiddle block are typical.

A photo of your current traveller mainsheet would be helpful. You might also contact @Dave Groshong at the SBO store he'll know the options and can make suggestions on hardware and line.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Something to keep in mind regarding traveler location, is if the traveler is inside or aft of the cockpit, there will be a risk of the mainsheet sweeping the cockpit during an accidental jibe. Having the traveler in front of the wheel/tiller is a nice plus for singlehanding if that is a priority over safety, otherwise for the well being of your guests, put the traveler at the front of the cockpit or on the cabin.

Folks who have the traveler on the top of an arch over the cockpit should be extra sensitive to the risks of an accidental jibe, lest the mainsheet hang one of the crew.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
If you want a traveler It looks like it could be mounted on the coaming where your mainsheet blocks are attached. But I don't know if the bother of a traveler will give you enough of a performance advantage to make it worthwhile. If you have the Bristol 24 I'm thinking of it's a 6000 pound long keel boat. The stock setup should work ok.

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
The basic traveller consists of a track, a car, turning blocks and a couple of cam cleats. There are so many different boats, it is hard to market a complete kit. Harken has in the past sold a "kit" containing the car, turning blocks, and cam cleats. The track has to ordered separately because every boat needs a different length.

There are generally 2 types of track, high profile and low profile. High profile tracks are used when it is necessary to bridge a gap or it is not possible to secure the track along the whole length and only the ends are secured. Low profile tracks are used when the track can be supported for its whole length and secured along its whole length.

The mainsheet system is sold separately. At the bottom is typically a fiddle block with a becket and a cam cleat. This is attached to the traveller car. The upper blocks can vary depending on the boat, a double block or a fiddle block are typical.

A photo of your current traveller mainsheet would be helpful. You might also contact @Dave Groshong at the SBO store he'll know the options and can make suggestions on hardware and line.
DLochner, my friend
Thx so much for your advise, and guidance. What you and others wrote all together came out to point me in tbe right direction. Im making already a pre selection of the individual components to then place an order.
Its a marvelous community this one.
Fair winds to all. C