traveller override on cabin top winch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since the admiral will only go out if its 82 degrees with 7 knot winds I almost always sail single handed. My Autohelm 4000 is dead so I find it more challenging to sail this boat singlehanded than the C25 I upgraded from. I'm getting better at it but I feel like I need 6 hands to steer the boat, winch the sheets and work the traveller. I usually only use the traveller to point higher when I'm already close hauled so it takes some effort (4:1). I've tried what Morty suggested but I find that by the time I luff the sail and raise the traveller by hand I've turned too far and tack to the opposite side. Then it's time to start all over again. If I ever get the new X-5 autopilot I bought operating I think it will reduce the number of hands required to only 5. Using Raymarine tech support to trouble shoot the X-5 has been a real adventure. When they told me not to use the wiring diagram that came with the pilot I knew I was in for a rough ride. Thanks again, all.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
if you want to trade your dead 4000 for a dead 4000 marque II let me know.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I guess I didn't realize there was a huge difference between mine and a '94. Just trying to be helpful.
They're not...... moving the cleat from the track end to another location is simple and very commonly done. Few people I know leave their boat exactly like it came from the factory.... that's one of the joys of owning a sailboat... setting it up to your preference.

A sailboat may come from the factory without a dodger and have cleats on the track ends. When a dodger is added later, the owner can choose to relocate the cleats, like Stu did, or cut a slit in the dodger like Morty.......or maybe a model equipped with a factory dodger came with slits in the isingglas or maybe the new owner ordered it with the cleats mounted closer to the helm. Who knows? and more importantly, Who the F cares? It's no big deal.. You set your boat up however you choose........

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, it was. And the answer was that the only reason overrides occur is because of a poor fairlead to the winch.

Here's an example: Most Catalinas came with those gray clam cleats. I found that I had to use two hands to work the mainsheet winch, because the clam cleat did not hold the mainsheet down low enough, and it created overrides on the winch. I replaced the clam cleat with a sheetstopper (clutch), left open when sailing, and the problem disappeared.

Sometimes there's thread drift, sometimes there are good idea exchanges.

Your boat, your choice. :)

For the OP, your 4:1 traveler advantage can be vastly improved with a 6:1 setup, and you'd never have to use the winch. An even then I drop the traveler before we tack, as I earlier mentioned. No need to ever have to drag it to windward.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I have the stock traveler on my '88 and have never needed to use the winch to move the traveler line. In fact both ends of my traveler line reach all the way back to the helm. I discovered that while close hauled I can trim my sails then "steer" with the traveler line. I've been on some long tacks and never touched the helm, just sat on the coming and heald the traveler line. Much easier to control weatherhelm when hit with a gust than to climb around the helm, run up to the cabin and release the main sheet all while the boat is healing and turning. One hand instead of 6!

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Spindrift- so you just have long lines from the traveler/cabin top to the operator or do you route them someway?

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Not to steal this thread but here is a pic of my 1990 traveler. I just realized it is a 3:1 purchase. The mid car still seems to move well so I hate to spend big bucks for a whole new system. I'm thinking of adding another block on the mid car to get 4:1 and then replacing the cam cleat to an 'over the top' block or bullseye to get the control line down to the deck and put the cam cleat at the edge of the cabin. Sound reasonable?

Attachments

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
what do you call big bucks? it's not just the ratio but that catalina didn't install first class hardware and the original set up is full of friction. i can't imagine a better improvement to increase sailing pleasure than a new mainsheet and traveler with first class hardware.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
>$500 is big bucks :) I do agree that new is nice. I got a C27 that has 10k of new stuff.

Apr 1, 2012
Spindrift- so you just have long lines from the traveler/cabin top to the operator or do you route them someway?
Just long lines that came with the boat. Not sure if the PO added longer lines or not. I don't have any trouble pulling the cart to weather and am able to make small adjustments.
Looking at your pics, I would say I have the same set-up.

BTW, I like your solution to the compression block and am interested in copying it. What did you use on the bottom?
James

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
James- I shaped some G10 and epoxied it to the bilge and made another piece with a hole the size of the tube and epoxied that also. What's nice is the fact that I can access that area under the shower drain and raised that part of the bilge up so there is no standing water.
Doug

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Catalina travelers

1. Catalina has been improving their traveler systems for many years. Original Nicro curved tracks were on early C30s. Once they went to Garhauer and the straight tack, the only difference was the purchase on the blocks on the cars. That's all. You could use your old cars and have the blocks upgraded to 6:1 WITHOUT spending mega bucks, just keep the track and replace the sheaves on the cars. That's what we did. Garahuer is great to work with, and claiming Catalina f-ed up is just plain unfair. Back in the old days, few people used their travelers and many even these days don't. There is a WHOLE class of folks who center it and never move it. Could be called "cruisers" :eek: just kidding!

2. Absolutely correct to dump the traveler instead of the mainsheet. Much easier to change the angle of attack than the draft and the other things affected by the mainsheet. Plus, as said, it's EASIER. Wow, what a concept. :D I've had extended discussions with folks who keep saying, proudly: "I extended my mainsheet way back to the helm." Hmm, not really a helpful idea. One skipper said he used it for preventing gybes, but I suggested he deal with his course and choice to wing-and-wing (except for a narrow channel). Your boat, your choice, but the traveler sure is easier to release and reset with a 6:1 even in heavy winds, upwind or downwind.

3. In response to mortyd's comments, I agree a picture is worth a thousand words. Here goes. Should be applicable to almost any boat, if you want to do it.

Attachments

Apr 1, 2012
Doug- Thanks for the info. looks like a spring job for me. My block is rotted but my sole is not sinking yet.

Stu- It took me half a season to figure the traveler out but its much easier and safer.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.