traveller override on cabin top winch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
This is my first season with a 1994 C30, MKII. It has the flat traveller and the line from the the traveller is in line with the top of the cabin top winches. If I make a couple of turns around the winch and feed it to the self tailer on the winch, as soon as I start to winch the line it overrides and jams. I have to take the free end and feed it to the other winch to pull it free. Do I need to install a block on the deck in front of the winch to feed it into the winch at the bottom?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I never use a winch to move my traveler. Simply luff the main and move the traveler. Usually I can move it under load, also, unless it is really blowing. In that case I tend to have a reef in the main too.

Try luffing the main to move the traveler....you really don't need a winch for that.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You can also drop the traveler before you tack.

If you have a winch override it simply means that the lead to the winch is wrong.

We have the same flat traveler but never have to use the winch. What's the block advantage on the traveler cars? The newer 6:1 makes it effortless, older 3:1 and 4:1 ratios not so much.

Feb 26, 2004
Rather than moving the winch, get a Johnson bullet fairlead to run the traveler control line lower to avoid the override. Better yet, read the earlier posts! :)

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i have the same system and it was not intended to use a winch with the traveler. if you have an older traveler and mainsheet, s few bucks for a garhauer upgrade for both is well worth the money. i also have slits in my dodger for the traveler lines and i like them.

Feb 26, 2004
Garhauer will also provide you with roller sheaves at the end cars, so instead of having a slit in your dodger, you can run the line straight through a small grommet, put bullet fairleads on the coachroof and put cam cleats at the aft end of your cabin top. Much easier than trying to reach through.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
??? my garhauer traveler already has cleats built in, the slits in the dodger just allow me to operate the traveler from the helm. what's wrong with that to start mounting cleats on the cabin top? KISS

Feb 26, 2004
There are two ways to do it, that's all. The aft mounted cam cleats are easier to reach, based on my experience. Just wanted to let the OP know he has a choice.

In fact, we had what you describe. When we upgraded the traveler cars to 6:1 we had Garhauer include the sheaves and used it with our old dodger which had slits. When we replaced the dodger, we added the simple single holes for the lines.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
? stu, when i engage and disengage from the garhauer cam cleats on the traveler i must lift the lines or pull down on them. how can this get done with a hole as opposed to a slit?

Feb 26, 2004

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Since I single hand alot I 'm thinking of doing this mod. That is turning down the traveler line to the deck and putting the cam cleat at the edge of the cabin. Sometimes the lines end up as far as they can from me. something like this...

Attachments

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
stu, those are pretty pictures, but not of a garhauer traveler on a catalina 30, which is what the questioner has.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
stu, those are pretty pictures, but not of a garhauer traveler on a catalina 30, which is what the questioner has.
I think stu's system would tranfer well to just about any midsized boat with mid boom sheeting, Garhauer traveler or not.... and that would include a Catalina 30. The issue is the cleat location..... Stu's placement inside the dodger makes just as much sense as yours....

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
I have a similar setup on my boat, and it looks like you could use the winches to pull the traveler. However, the winches are there for other purposes. On the starboard side the inboard winch is for the main sheet, which is led aft. On the port, the winch is for the main halyard.

Stu's first picture shows how one might set up a traveler to lead the lines aft, some thing I want to do on my boat as well. As it sits today, the traveler lines fall into the cabin while under way...having them by the winches would help considerably.

Attachments

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
foolproof, the questioner has a 94 catalina 30, which like my boat is rigged completely differently on the cabin top from yours or stu's. i am not pouting, just addressing the boat in question and being factual. are you guys familiar how a 94 boat, especially with a dodger, is set up? among other things, stu's method would hide my depth meter and speedo. let's just cut the sarasm and answer the quesion about the boat the guy has.

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
I guess I didn't realize there was a huge difference between mine and a '94. Just trying to be helpful.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
and i didn't mean it was you who were sarastic. i don't know exactly when catalina went to the then new deck system, but it's really very different. we have one winch on each side of the cabin top and far off line from the traveler line. i for one have absolutely no problem with the traveler lines on the cabin top behind the dodger, which is, after all, what the first question was. not about an older boat, or a 27, or 34, but a 1994 catalina 30. however, i notice we have same garhauer traveler. if you have some spare cash consider upgrading to a garhauer mainsheet. it will make a big positive difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.