traveler

• Thread starter Robert Underwood
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Underwood

I have a 70's Catalina 22. The traveler has come loose on the starboard side of the transom. The other side is secure. I would like to find a simple way to secure it.

F

Frank

Loose Screw

From what I hear this is a common problem. My 22 1982 #10583 had just started showing signs of getting loose. Also on the starborad side. In the catalina Direct catalog they recomended drilling a hole about 2 inches in diameter and covering the hole with a stainless trim piece when finished. The hole would be perpendicular to the fastener. I tried to squeeze into the starboard locker but could never get a wrench or see what I was trying to tighten. There was a lot of raw fiberglass work and not very much room at the joint. I would recomend getting the catalog and drilling the hole to expose the fastener. Frank

T

Tim Cobb

Houdini could do it.

Hi, Had the same problem with mine. You can use a mirror and flashlight to see the bolt that you will need to tighten. there is not much room and you will need several extensions for your socket wrench, I think I used 4 large ones. It was not fun. I found it was easier to work from inside the locker (im not a small guy and I fit)If this doesnt work use a hole saw to drill the holes through the cockpit side of the transom under the ends of the traveler bar. You dont want all the extra motion on the traveler. Hope it helps TahoeTim Cat 22 Mauna Makani

Status
Not open for further replies.