Trap Drain

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
What is the real pupose of installing a trap type drain for a head sink? I assume it helps keep any odors coming up through the drain. Any other benifits?

Anyone have any negatives? Assume a negative is that you'll need to winterize the trap.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The only benefit I can think of is to avoid having hairs and other solids sticking to your boats topsides below the discharge through-hull. In an open system odors should not be a problem. As far as winterizing the trap, not in Florida.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Drain Routing

I also see that many of the newer boats in the shows try to make better use of their under counter space by having their drains exit at 90 degrees and loop down hugging the hull to the through hull. Makes sense to me - not sure of any negatives and this might be an easy upgrade for anyone changing out their lines due to age.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
,,,,drains exit at 90 degrees and loop down hugging the hull to the through hull. ...
If, using your picture, the drain hose went straight down to the drain, water would probably gush up due to rocking action.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
If, using your picture, the drain hose went straight down to the drain, water would probably gush up due to rocking action.

Mine is straight from the drain to the thru-hull valve currently, never had any issues with it gushing up - just a little gurgling.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If the sink drain is below the waterline, no trap is needed.. or wanted..
If the sink drains to the holding tank ya might want one to make sure odors are held at bay..

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
In Holland and Germany all water must go to a tank, so it would serve a purpose there.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
That's probably best used to catch your wife's earings or diamond ring, otherwise its a gift to some mermaid.

All U Get

Nov 6, 2006
That is funny, Benny. Ours here in Louisiana would get that big if the mosquitoes didn't drain them !

Nov 6, 2006
You know the drill:
Big mosquito knocked me down in the cockpit yesterday as I sipped a good rum. His friend told him to drag me back into the bushes before eating me.. The original 'skeeter told him "NO! if we drag him there, the big mosquitoes will take him away."

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
The only reason for a trap is in home plumbing, to keep the sewer smells......in the sewer. That's why you have a 'stink pipe' that tee's off, (usually behind the wall where you can't see it), to, well, vent off them tacos from 48 hours ago..