Transom seat in sugar scoop 1997 340 (paint?)

Oct 11, 2022
Hunter 340 Barcombs Marina NY
What would you use to paint the underside of the seat (that you flip when you access the sugar scoop and ladder)
... 25 years of wear wore off the paint (fiberglass paint) ?

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Alwgrip top coat color matched. Last winter painted ~600 sqft with 2 coats of Algrip top coat on my powerboat.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If your '97 has the same deck colour as my '99 Hunter, the colour match is the same as white gel coat. I just finished some spider crack repairs and I never cease to be amazed at the 100% colour match. Completely invisible when finished. It's the lack of UV discolouration on 24 YO gel coat that amazes me. The underside of the seat looks like it was painted with white gel coat so why not repeat. Many of the hidden areas of our boats were painted with white gel coat. The underside of my seat still looks like new as the seat's always up.

Probably a fraction of the price of Awlgrip and just as tough as your deck if treated properly. I buy my waxed gel coat from a nearby company called Fiber-Tek. This is their write up :

1665545670884.png

Bought some recently for $13.85 / half pint which will do your seat. Do not apply too thick or you get into cracking.

Oct 11, 2022
Hunter 340 Barcombs Marina NY
I just finished some spider crack repairs and I never cease to be amazed at the 100% colour match. Completely invisible when finished.
Thanks for the tip !!! (I need to get the M.E.K.P catalyst too ?)

I'm also curious about your spider crack repair technique.
Thanks in advance :)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the tip !!! (I need to get the M.E.K.P catalyst too ?)
MEKP as well. Confirm with the supplier and the gel label.

MUST be waxed gel coat or you'll be known as that "sailor with the sticky seat." Yuck :doh:. Only apply one coat. If you do want to go for two coats, it must be unwaxed and then one final waxed coat.

DO A TEST PATCH FIRST WITH A PAINT BRUSH. I have never painted with gel coat but it's a common rough method of application.

For spider repairs :

Hi Ken ............. a Dremel is the easiest way to gouge out a groove when repairing spider cracks.
I've made a few improvements in this method over the years:

- I cover both edges of the work with masking tape and apply the gel with a putty knife so the gel is only about 0.001" proud of the original surface. Makes for quick work. Go with something like #500-800-1500-3,000 as the finish.

- I go to #3000 grit wet 'n dry paper as it's quicker than 1500. If you can't get the really fine papers, no problem. Just go to #1500 which is pretty common in big box stores. Takes a bit more polishing at the end.

- for the polish, I've found that Meguiars #49 Oxidation Remover is the best for me. The reason for the bold type is that this stuff is weird. It cannot be used with a machine applicator as it forms a greasy water repellant mess of gel dust and product on your pad which takes a half hour and a half bottle of dishwashing detergent to remove from your pad. The pad is filled in a matter of minutes and stops polishing. Apply only by hand with with small pieces of clean terry cloth and change surfaces quickly and repeatedly. Produces a mirror polish quickly but ONLY for small areas. One or two in². Finish with wax.

For your first attempt, work in an inconspicuous area and use common sense (which is actually quite uncommon around here.) No matter how badly you screw it up, it can easily be done over until it's perfect. If you can see objects through your work area, yes, you've screwed up.

As a PS ........... I just used the last of my previous can of gel coat and invested in a new one for $13.85. The old one was about eight years old and in perfect condition. It was continuously kept in the refrigerator within two zip lock baggies and well labelled.

Last edited: