Transom Replacement

Jul 6, 2021
O'Day Javelin Lake Champlain
Hello all, I recently purchased a new (to me) 1969 O'Day Javelin.Super excited for this new adventure. However, the transom is rotted out and basically mush? What would replacing this transom entail? It looks like I could save the fiberglass on the outside and just slip a new piece of marine grade plywood in and epoxy that in. Please let me know any tips tricks or advice you may have.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhm. You are a glutton for punishment. :clap: First of all, I like the design.
Looking at online images of your boat I think "Slipping" a piece of marine plywood poses some questions. It appears from the images that you have deck and seats that would make this very difficult.
How is the inside fiberglass skin? It might be easier to demo from the outside in. You will need to put a cleat in form deck to deck to maintain the shape of the boat while it's taken apart. If the inner skin is toast I would start thinking in terms of a temporary transom working around the deck and seats and building a new transom out from that.
You've tasted the bitter fruit!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
shemandr
The 1969 JAVELIN is different from the 1971 and later model that you saw, the transom is completely accessible, very little in hte way. There should be pictures on-line somewhere showing one owner's transom replacement process. I'll see if I can find those pics in case they are no longer on-line. Prior to 1971 the seats were not part of deck molding and transom was plywood bonded to inside of the fiberglass hull shell then glassed over.

Jul 6, 2021
Going to start demo tonight and learn more about the boat. I will post photos and an update later.

Jul 6, 2021
Hey guys. Started getting the transom off. This wood is gross. Smells to high heaven. Luckily I'm being able to get the interior glass and the wood out pretty easy without destroying the hull. Will send another update early next week

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looks good. I see, in the first photo you have the most important tool in the lower right corner.

Aug 20, 2021
Oday Javelin Sebago Lake
Wow. Interesting to see what I missed. I had the same problem. I contemplated doing just what you're doing but was too scared. Ended up drilling 1/4 inch holes down through the rotten plywood, letting it dry over the winter and then using 2 doses of "dr rot" epoxy, the thin stuff to saturate the plywood and the honey to fill in the voids. Worked like a champ. I'd like to see how yours works out.