Transmission shifting stutter

Jul 22, 1996
Hunter 356 Deale MD
When I shift our 35.6 in gear or out of gear, forward or reverse there is a terrible stuttering vibration that shakes the entire boat and loud rattle. Eventually if I jiggle the shift lever enough I can get it to stop. It is progressively getting worse. In the past if I dropped the RPMs to idle it wouldn't rattle. Two years ago the transmission was removed by and sent out to be rebuilt by a local (Deale, MD) marine service center. The problem was resolved for a while but has returned with a vengeance.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Sounds like the shifter / cable is not moving the trans shift lever all the way into gear. Could be cable adjustment, cable sticking , or a problem in the shift lever. To diagnose, disconnect the cable from the trans and try the trans lever directly. If it shifts properly then the problem is in the cable or shift lever.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
When I shift our 35.6 in gear or out of gear, forward or reverse there is a terrible stuttering vibration that shakes the entire boat and loud rattle. Eventually if I jiggle the shift lever enough I can get it to stop. It is progressively getting worse. In the past if I dropped the RPMs to idle it wouldn't rattle. Two years ago the transmission was removed by and sent out to be rebuilt by a local (Deale, MD) marine service center. The problem was resolved for a while but has returned with a vengeance.
I may be jumping to conclusions, but your description sounds exactly like an issue I have with my cone clutch. Especially the "it's progressively getting worse". Researching my issue, I have come to understand that:

"The forward or reverse end of the splined male drive cone can become worn and slip in the hard conical pocket of the respective driving gear. The cones can be easily lapped to remove glaze and the transmission reassembled. It is a straightforward DIY project."

J. Allen

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
I had similar issues on my H376. We discovered that the engine mount bolts had worked loose, causing the engine to lift during shifting, creating an alignment issue.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
please provide more info on what was the rebuild -- lapping the drive cone ? checking for broken / worn teeth in the F and R gears ? the fact that you are having the problem in F and in R suggest it is a part common to operation in both gears that's the source-- main drive cone, output shaft ,coupler or e ben cut less bearing. i'd second the vote to do a check on the engine mounts coupler face out and and alignment of p shaft. what's the coupler face out ? how many ours and what model engine and transmission?