transducer change... water spout....

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
my airmar DST joined the fate of many others...
I thought some would enjoy 25 seconds of action replacing it... all ended well. We had all necessary plugs near by...
It's key to be placed right above the hole to slide the transducer back-in. First tried to do it an angle, and that was a bad idea - live and learn...

It was a sunny day in Seattle, and seeing the seafloor though the bottom of the boat even just for a couple of seconds is an experience in itself. Whew!

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Those are always fun videos. I did this one morning as a part of a system upgrade. The mistake I made was to do it with the admiral standing nearby but, without her morning coffee. I was solo, so mine actually spouted to the water line which was about 2 feet up before I got the new transducer into the opening. Her reaction to the sudden water spout was priceless. I don't think she appreciated the sudden wake up but, just as in your case, all was well.

Nice job.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Those are always fun videos. I did this one morning as a part of a system upgrade. The mistake I made was to do it with the admiral standing nearby but, without her morning coffee. I was solo, so mine actually spouted to the water line which was about 2 feet up before I got the new transducer into the opening. Her reaction to the sudden water spout was priceless. I don't think she appreciated the sudden wake up but, just as in your case, all was well.

Nice job.
2 feet! I would have flipped out!!!!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The newer through-hulls have a flap in them to help minimize the geyser.
Did that myself a few days ago... exciting!

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Yes, the water shoots straight up to the actual water line. Its pretty awesome to watch, its also coming out very fast, but once you put the new transducer in place everything stops. The total amount of water was probably only a quart or so but, if your not expecting it it can be interesting.
It's probably a good exercise for emergencies to practice this a couple of times. We should have wooden or rubber bungs at every through hull in case they break, we are supposed to be able to jam the bung into the hole of the broken through hull and ram it in place as a way to slow a leak. Trying it on a known thru hull, with an a plug not a bung, just to get used to maintaining your cool while the water gushes in while you pull the plug and then close it again could be an interesting exercise.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Exactly, I was actually expecting that there was one... hence the surprise. It was my first time.
Ok,
There are 2 transducer diameters
The speed sensor is smaller than the depth, and has a small flap that shuts down the water to a trickle.
The trick to having very little water flow is as follows
Put your left hand around the transducer so that the stem is between your thumb and forefinger
Loosen the nut with your right hand
Start to extract with your right hand, keeping your left around the stem
As you lift the transducer, just slip your left hand over the through hull as you remove the transducer. Very little water comes in
Insert the transducer plug in reverse.
There is no geyser using this method

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Ok,
There are 2 transducer diameters
The speed sensor is smaller than the depth, and has a small flap that shuts down the water to a trickle.
The trick to having very little water flow is as follows
Put your left hand around the transducer so that the stem is between your thumb and forefinger
Loosen the nut with your right hand
Start to extract with your right hand, keeping your left around the stem
As you lift the transducer, just slip your left hand over the through hull as you remove the transducer. Very little water comes in
Insert the transducer plug in reverse.
There is no geyser using this method
will keep that in mind for next time!

thank you!