Trailering a 25.7 or a 25S ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Anybody already doing this?
If so, I've got some questions if you don't mind!

Thanks in advance...

-JAMES-

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
James,
I have a First 260, which is the same boat. I've towed it 1/2 way across the country. Ask away

Nov 8, 2010
Out boat was bought in the UK and brought to the USA by the original owner. We bought it from him and towed her home to Minnesota this spring. 1000 miles. Trip was fine. Big boat on the road.

Trailer is a Hayling, custom built in the UK. galvanized steel. Its the same company that makes the Volvo boat cradles. Amazing. It's costly I bet.

May 3, 2008
Jackdaw,
I really appreciate your reply!
I presently have a Capri 22 that I trailer around...and love it.
But thinking about something just slightly bigger, but still trailerable.

So here it comes...
Do you trailer often, or was it just to move her to your sailing region?
The trailer doesn't look like it has a tongue extension...
Do you have to crane her in & out or can you use a ramp?

I'm interested to understand if the mast-foot to deck-fitting is simple enough to modify so I can move the mast-foot into position, attach it and then rotate the mast vertical using a gin-pole.
How does the swing-keel work...
both mechanically (cables, gears, levers, magic)?!?!
and then of course, how do they sail?

I appreciate any help you can offer!

BTW... "Blue J" looks beautiful...love the blue hull color...
I'd like to see some fotos of her in the water, sailing, anchored, at the dock, whatever you care to share!

Thanks again...

-JAMES-
"Bella Barchetta"

Nov 8, 2010
James,

My partner Pia is probably reading this at work and saying, 'Oh gosh don't get him started'..

First the 260/25.7/25S is a wonderful boat. Jean-Marie Finot, who designed it, owned one as is personal boat for over 10 years. I'm very pleased to see it finally come to the USA officially. Its been in production in France from 1995.

On to your questions etc.

First its not just a little bigger than you Capri 22, its a LOT bigger. Standing headroom, a full gally, nav, and head. Big vee berth. We've spend a week on it. The salon is as comfortable as the 36.7 See this vid for interior.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUyrjliYb4

We leave BlueJ in the water at the club. We talk about taking her to remote regattas, but as we have two boats normally we are at one of the two and have less desire to move boats. But we could. The trailer has no extension, but the front dolly wheel is strong enough to stand on its own, and we use a 10000lb strap to lower and pull her from deep water. The two of pulled her out of the water onto the trailer, and lowered the mast. It is hinged and deck stepped. I made a A-frame to help. The mast is VERY TALL (bigger than the First 285). We have a pole at WYC to help put it up, but we could have used the A-Frame for that as well.

The keel is a very proven mechanical screw design. It uses a winch handle inside the boat to raise/lower it. 100 easy turns and its back. Its cleverly hidden in the table base.

Draft goes from 3 feet to 6. Here is a picture with it about 30% down. It locks into any position.

Cockpit is big and comfortable. Tiller with dual rudders a joy. The 25S will have the traveler on the transom. Out of the way but I wonder how that works for racing with that being the main trimmers job.

Some sailing pix:
Blowing by a Capri 26

More racing

Running up on the Sonar fleet

Sailing, the boat is very fast in a breeze. Sweet spot is 10-20 knots. Reaching is her forte, we have 4 spinnakers (2 asyms and 2 kites) that keep us in the fun zone. In 18 knots (yesterday) she spent a long time over 8 knots with me soloing her with our running asym. Upwind fast too but not super high, the big beam hurts that a bit. Not a fan of super light airs. Even with a SA/D of like 22 she has a long waterline and lots of wetted area, so she can be sticky in less that 6 knots of breeze.

Boat can do asyms or kites. Polars say kites faster for W/L racing and thats true.

Asyms more fun reaching, bow sprit helps.

The 25S is the exact same hull as the 260 but changes to the rig. No backstay, square top main, and a 7/8th instead of the 9/10s jib. No lowers. That will be interesting to see, less adjustable for sure. A lot like the new First 30 in some ways.

Very easy to sail. Everything comes back, and with the non-overlapping headsail easy to control. Very modern design.

We love her. It was probably a price thing but I'm amazed they never sold her in the USA. Beneateau for years had smaller boats in the USA (210, 235, 265, 280, 285, etc) but then went all over 30; there was a time the smallest was 33 feet. Good to see them back.

Full-on cruise mode.

In the slip

May 3, 2008
Clay ...now I am totally stoked on this boat!!!
Thanks for all the awesome photos ...she's beautiful!

Yeah... I know it will be a LOT more sailboat than my Capri 22... inside and out. But I think with the right trailer & rigging, I could have an amazing trailerable!

I sort of wish the 25S had a back-stay, because it's an easy place to loosen the rigging while stepping the mast and then re-tension after the connecting the forestay/roller-furler. But I'm sure I can work around that.

I also found an online description and illustration of the jack-screw mechanism (describing maintenance of the lifting keel system) It seems pretty durable and simple.

Again... I can't thank you (and Pia) enough for the great photos and the video. Rest assured I'll be bugging you again about something!

-james-

Nov 8, 2010
James,

No problem. I've got a lot of questions from my youtube videos after the USA 25S announcement. I'm very interested in seeing it in person.

Re lack of backstay, if you want to secure the mast aft with the rigging slack to attach the forestay, just run the main halyard back to the transom,secrure it there, and lock it in a clutch. Sorted.

Oh, sailing today mag in the UK did a nice review of the 260, it would apply to the 25S as well.

http://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/beneteau/beneteau-first-260-spirit

May 3, 2008
The problem is that the shrouds perform duty as the backstay would... i.e. preventing the mast from rotating forward. So without loosening one, or both of the shrouds, the forestay can't be moved into position for pinning without being at full tension.

And there's not much room under the furler for a Johnson Lever, so I may have to install a Lever on one, or both shrouds. That would provide enough forward slack in the rigging to attach the forestay.

The other BIG question will be the mast-base attachment. Does your 260 have a lateral bolt to act as a pivot while raising/lowering the mast?

Hopefully you'll be getting some more sailing days in before the seasons turn!

Nov 8, 2010
The mast base HAS a pivot pin. It allows the mast to pivot aft. As I noted, I have raised and lowered the mast using it, with an A-frame to help generate more leverage. That is SOP for masts this size. To get the forestay pinned, just loosen the shrouds a few turns. Place the pin, and retighten. Do NOT use those johnson levers on the 25S. Small boat stuff only.

Yea weather starting to change here in Minneapolis. Nice breeze and 78 degrees yesterday. We reached under spinnaker to dinner at a waterside restaurant. I think that's the end of the graceful days here. 30 degrees cooler here today, with 25 knot winds. Last night.

May 3, 2008
Thanks for the heads-up (or thumbs-down!) on the johnson lever idea... wasn't sure what they're rated for.

I guess if I have it tuned, and then always spin the shrouds' turnbuckles the exact number of turns every time, it should be fine!

I loosen my Capri backstay turnbuckle for stepping, but don't count the turns ...I just sort have an idea where the turnbuckle ends up before putting the safety rings on ...having a little more or less pre-bend in the mast isn't going to make a difference at my skill level!

So if there's a pivot pin at the base ...excellent! I use an A-frame on my Capri ...it's easy-peasy!

Yep ...seen the factory videos ...sweet

I looked at yachtworld for a used 260, 25.7 & 25 and they're all across the big water. You probably have the only one in the New World?!?!

james

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, IFAICT BlueJ is the only 260 in North America. I talked to a buddy at Beneteau USA and he hasn't heard of another, or sold parts for one, so in inclined to think that's true.

As you have found, they are a very popular boat in Europe. It will be very interesting to see how it does here. Europe has always had a better market for higher-end smaller boats. I figure this boat will base price here at around $70K, plus or minus $10K. Most America's seemingly would rather have a 15-20 years old 35 foot boat for that kind of money. But it will be interesting. Many people thought that the Mini would not work here, but BMW proved them wrong. Maybe our appetite for good things in small packages has changed?

I'm hoping for it. Beneteau is working harder than most builders to figure out new markets. We LOVE the new sense line; that will probably be our next boat. They are really aiming that at a sailing couple with occasional friends on board. We'd never need bunks for 8 on a 43 footer.

May 3, 2008
I agree... a Sense 43 would do just fine... but trailering is still my thing!

Here in the San Francisco bay, our local Beneteau dealer will have a 25S in March...
...who knows, it might just be mine!

-JAMES-
"Bella Barchetta"

Nov 8, 2010
James,

I know what you mean about trailering. We can't image not having blue J. Where is the 25s going to be in march? Richmond? That will be very interesting to see!

FYI the boat will be French built - after the end of the first 36.7 run, ALL First's in the USA have been and will be imported.

May 3, 2008
Yes, Passage Yachts in Richmond ...and yes, all imported -at least for now.

What are you towing with? ...it looks like a Toyota Landcruiser?
One of the issues is my Honda Ridgeline is only rated for 5k pounds.
...which does fine for my Capri 22 -about half the weight of a 25S.

BTW ...I had a great week of sailing on the San Francisco bay...
I had 5 days off work, so I slipped her in Sausalito and went out everyday.
Excellent conditions this time of year, watched the Oracle Team out practicing in the AC72 on Tuesday -then they wrecked it on a very rough Wednesday!

Take care...

-JAMES-
"Bella Barchetta"

Nov 8, 2010
It's a V8 Fourunner with a tow package. Pulled nicely and we got 13mph on the trip. Stayed at 55 because that's what the tires are rated for. The 25s will likely be too much for the ridgeline... But we do pull ours around town with a v6 Fourunner no problem... But the frame construction helps.

May 4, 2013
Beneteau 25s Montréal
Hello all! I m Trying to buy the new 25s, it s not easy to do at all.... Dealers don't have it in stock + the try to sell me a bigger boat..... 31 or 34 ...39! I Email Beneteau 5 or 6 times and nothing back from them.... Can I see on live? I like to have it on a trailer too.

Mar 19, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Chicago
Hello all! I m Trying to buy the new 25s, it s not easy to do at all.... Dealers don't have it in stock + the try to sell me a bigger boat..... 31 or 34 ...39! I Email Beneteau 5 or 6 times and nothing back from them.... Can I see on live? I like to have it on a trailer too.
I just saw one at Karma Yacht Sales in Chicago. Great looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.